Menu

LCHF people.... is it possible

Um_2_4

to do LCHF if:

I can't eat bacon,eggs,fish (including shellfish) or avocado??

And I do not have a flexible budget to work with???

I think this might be the way to go for me, but I am not coming up with any menus that I think could work..

I do like cheese, beans and nuts, but those are not always allowed on some plans (or not till later stages). My brain is hurting from reading online different sites/forums...

Would this work as a daily menu:

Breakfast: coffee with cream and stevia, 2 oz hard cheese, some cucumber and celery

Snack: ????

Lunch: chk breast grilled with onions and peppers on salad with dressing (low carb dressing) or "taco salad" with low carb veges and seasoned meat and cheese and sour cream dressing (can I eat salsa???)

snack: ???

dinner: chk breast or hamburger patty with saute veges, smothered in cheese and side of green beans

I could make up a bunch of chk breasts/hamburger patties/meatballs (no bread) and freeze them and just microwave as needed.

I lost tons of weight prekids (like 75 lbs) but put it all back on with the pregnancies. I have a condition that makes dieting difficult for me usually.

I lost it last time on a strict 1000cal/10g fat/day diet with 2 hours of exercise a day. But I had no one to take care of and time was at my disposal. Now I can not do that again. At 1200cal/12g of fat/day, I maintain my weight. Anything over I have typically gained. BUT that was without counting carbs. Back then air popped popcorn was my go to snack, along with cans of green beans, almost any fruit, fat free pretzels, etc.

So is it doable??

Also, once I up my carb count a bit, can I have PB (natural) or hummus (homemade) or an apple to go with the cheese or PB???

Or is there a site with real sample menus (ie no fancy blackened salmon, steamed xyz, pureeed mno, etc etc)? I need low to no prep and things that I already have (like cheese and PB) so I don't have to expand my budget and I will still be making dinner for the rest of the family. The whole family can not go LC as I have DD6 with low weight gain issues, so she needs to eat whatever I can get in her (WW bread, WW muffins, crackers, fruit, etc.) And DH can barely keep his weight up, so I need to keep him well fed.

Also kid friendly snacks that would be low/no carb so I can remove temptation from the house ??? (DD6 would be happy with cheese cubes for snacks)

If you made it this far, Thanks... my mind is still rambling...

I think that's all possible! (Well, except maybe for removing temptation with kid-friendly LC snacks... that would not go over so well in our house... I'm not even interested in most of their snacks, but I do bake for them, which sometimes or sometimes not involves sampling the batter...)

can you eat breakfast sausage? can you eat butter? Lots of butter, olive oil and coconut oil will cover you for fat. Remember that fat needs to replace carbs as your souce of energy.

If you can eat butter, consider starting your day with Bulletproof coffee (coffee whipped in a blender with a lot of grass-fed butter and a litte coconut oil). Most of the time I can make it till lunch on that; lately I've been thinking I need to add more protein so I've gone back to a sausage link or two sometime in the morning.

I do cheese. I don't do a plan. I just started out limiting carbs as much as I could the first week, probably under 30 for several days, and now I like to stay under 50-60, though I honestly have not been counting lately.

Go visit the LCHF social club!!

I eat low carb, but my family doesn't. What I generally do is prepare a meal of meat, veg, and starch, and don't eat the starch. This doesn't affect the budget or the meals the family is used to.

Breakfast is a little trickier if you can't eat eggs... but I have eaten dinner leftovers for breakfast, or soup. Lately I've been finding that I'm not really hungry until 11 or so, and so breakfast is two cups of tea with cream. Lunch is a low-carb meal around 11, and dinner around 7. I've found that eating low carb is very satisfying, and I never feel like snacking.

Tofu is an inexpensive option if you don't mind eating soy.

I think it's very doable, and second the suggestion of visiting lowcarber or lowcarbfriends. Good luck!

Thanks, I can't eat soy (allergic) and I'm trying to avoid buying "extras" ala coconut oil,almond flour, etc, etc. I already budget for creamer (mommy needs coffee to function LOL) and I could just switch to half n half.

I don't really cook like that (separate items) most of my meals are all mixed together, but that is why I said I could do frozen single serve of the chkn or hamburger, etc.

Looking at forums like lowcarber just make my head spin and I've had not to nice experiences on some forums (not here, hence why I asked) so I always hesitate to ask and post questions.

I already budget for creamer (mommy needs coffee to function LOL) and I could just switch to half n half.

If you can swing it, switch to heavy cream rather than half n half. I was buying it at Target for 3.99/quart, I think, before I switched to bulletproof coffee with grass-fed butter. (grass-fed butter is probably my only really important specialty ingredient, as I buy coconut oil anyway, at costco. No almond flour in our house.)

to do LCHF if:

I can't eat bacon,eggs,fish (including shellfish) or avocado??

And I do not have a flexible budget to work with???

I think this might be the way to go for me, but I am not coming up with any menus that I think could work..

I do like cheese, beans and nuts, but those are not always allowed on some plans (or not till later stages). My brain is hurting from reading online different sites/forums...

Would this work as a daily menu:

Breakfast: coffee with cream and stevia, 2 oz hard cheese, some cucumber and celery

Well, that isn't enough protein. Maybe cream cheese instead of the hard cheese. Or add some chicken.

Snack: ????

Something with cream cheese. :-) Mixed nuts, for example, especially macadamia nuts, which are high in fat.

Lunch: chk breast grilled with onions and peppers on salad with dressing (low carb dressing) or "taco salad" with low carb veges and seasoned meat and cheese and sour cream dressing (can I eat salsa???)

Mayo instead of "low carb" dressing. Or oil and vinegar. Some prepared dressings have extra stuff in them. I'd probably just have the seasoned meat and cheese and sour cream instead of more veggies.

snack: ???

Something with cream cheese. :-)

dinner: chk breast or hamburger patty with saute veges, smothered in cheese and side of green beans

You might want to count up your carbs. You have a boatload of veggies in there, and not enough fat and protein.

I could make up a bunch of chk breasts/hamburger patties/meatballs (no bread) and freeze them and just microwave as needed.

Yes, that would work.

Also, once I up my carb count a bit, can I have PB (natural) or hummus (homemade) or an apple to go with the cheese or PB???

Eventually, but PB has a surprising amount of carbs.

You can make many "normal" meals into LCHF, just by adding EVOO, or cream cheese, or butter, or not eating the potatoes or rice or gravy.

No need for coconut oil, almond flour, or coconut flour if you don't want to use them. Your meal ideas sound good. Could you maybe explain what you mean by your current meals being "all mixed together?" Are they starch-based in some way that they can't be separated out? My family loves Chinese fried rice with chicken--before combining the chicken, egg, veggies, and rice, I put aside some of everything but the rice for myself, then combine it all for them. Could you tweak your cooking in some way like this? I'm just trying to brainstorm some ideas; it may or may not work for you.

And yes, do consider switching to cream in your coffee. Even if it's more expensive, it's very filling and satisfying and you will need less of it.

Thanks everyone!

Just looking at the menu for next week and what we had last week:

Fajitas - this I could just not eat the tortillas

Kabsah (this is lamb meat cooked with spices and rice, kinda hard to separate, maybe just eat the meat and a salad? The meat cooks with the rice though, so it's not like I could cook the rice , then the meat)

Leban Iya (yogurt and lamb stew served over rice, can I eat yogurt??? This the meat is cooked 1st, so I could put some meat aside and eat it with a salad)

Pasta with red sauce and meat (I use a pound of pasta and 1/2 lb of meat ,so not much to separate??? )

Asian Lettuce wraps (I could skip the rice and eat these maybe??? depends on veges in it and sauce right?)

Chili and baked potatoes (nothing here, beans are too many carbs right???)

meatloaf, mash potatoes and corn cake (nothing I can eat here, meatloaf is made with oatmeal)

hamburgers (ok, eat w/o the bun)

stuff squash (use lamb and rice in stuffing, so no)

Kafta (spiced meatballs in tomato sauce, could eat these, no fillers and skip the rice on the side)

homemade pizza (no LOL)

rice with ground lamb and veges (all cooked together, so ???)

Lahmi Bajeen (like meat pizzas, so no)

We just don't eat the standard meat, starch, vege diet. Most meals would have a salad on the side and veges mixed into what I am cooking (like the pasta sauce or the rice).

I really want to find something that can work long term... Thanks again everyone for the ideas...I may get a carb counter and just try to keep it at 20-25 to get started and gradually add back in and see where my ideal level is.

Thanks everyone!

Kabsah (this is lamb meat cooked with spices and rice, kinda hard to separate, maybe just eat the meat and a salad? The meat cooks with the rice though, so it's not like I could cook the rice , then the meat)

Leban Iya (yogurt and lamb stew served over rice, can I eat yogurt??? This the meat is cooked 1st, so I could put some meat aside and eat it with a salad)

Pasta with red sauce and meat (I use a pound of pasta and 1/2 lb of meat ,so not much to separate??? )

Asian Lettuce wraps (I could skip the rice and eat these maybe??? depends on veges in it and sauce right?)

meatloaf, mash potatoes and corn cake (nothing I can eat here, meatloaf is made with oatmeal)

Kafta (spiced meatballs in tomato sauce, could eat these, no fillers and skip the rice on the side)

homemade pizza (no LOL)

We just don't eat the standard meat, starch, vege diet. Most meals would have a salad on the side and veges mixed into what I am cooking (like the pasta sauce or the rice).

I really want to find something that can work long term... Thanks again everyone for the ideas...I may get a carb counter and just try to keep it at 20-25 to get started and gradually add back in and see where my ideal level is.

Okay, Arab cooking, right? (As salaamu alaikum!) It sounds a lot like Pakistani cooking, which I have some experience with as dh is Pakistani. I think most of your meals will work with a little tweaking.

I have found that I can eat the following without sabotaging my weight loss, especially if it's not every day (ymmv, you just have to try and see how it affects you):

• Chili (if it's an even mixture of meat and beans)

• Meatloaf

• Curry-type dishes with sweetened or yogurt-thickened or flour-thickened sauces

• Meatballs or stuffed cabbage where the meat mixture contains some rice, as long as it's more meat than rice

I can eat plain, full-fat yogurt without gaining.

When meat and rice are cooked together (like biryani in my case), I will just pick out the meat and eat it. When cooked seperately, just put some meat/veg aside before you combine.

Pizza crust and pasta are difficult-to-impossible to eat and lose weight, lol. I have done pizza toppings on sliced eggplant, which I love, but not everyone does. Some people will make "spaghetti" out of spaghetti squash (very easy, just google), or shredded zucchini. Try and see if you like it.

Also, google "cauliflower rice." Very easy and very tasty substitute for rice.

Thanks everyone!

Kabsah (this is lamb meat cooked with spices and rice, kinda hard to separate, maybe just eat the meat and a salad? The meat cooks with the rice though, so it's not like I could cookbook the rice , then the meat)

homemade pizza (no LOL)

Fajitas are great on salad.

No idea on kabsah unless it would be good with cauliflower rice.

Yogurt is usually ok if it is unsweetened, full fat, and in reasonable quantities.

Spaghetti squash is a good pasta substitute, though you'll need more meat to make it filling.

Lettuce wraps are great! No rice or sweet sauces, but most things are ok. Lettuce wraps are a lowcarb classic.

Chili depends on the bean to meat ratio. I just made a huge pot with 3lbs meat, 2qt tomatoes, and 1.5c cooked beans. So there are beans, but not a ton.

Meatloaf can be made low carb style. Your family will probably not notice. Cauliflower can be mashed like potatoes. But as is that meal prob won't work.

Squash+rice= lots of carbs. Probably not workable.

Meatballs are good.

Pizza. Yeah. I've had no luck.