Menu

Favorite Science(s) for Elementary Years?

Favorite Science(s) for Elementary Years?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite science(s) for the elementary years?

• Apologia Exploring Creation series
    • WTM science rec's
    • Nancy Larson
    • Real Science Odyssey
    • Real Science for Kids
    • Mr. Q's Science
    • Christian Kids Explore series
    • Elemental Science
    • Great Science Adventures
    • Other - leave a comment

I voted other because I like several from your list. I like RS4K and I have l decided on RSO Life as well for next year and it looks like it's going to be great. I tried a Physical Science GSA, but the lapbook was just not my thing to keep up with and I dropped it. I like it though. The only WTM recs I have used or looked at are Mudpies to Magnets and Creepy Crawlies and Everybody has a Body. Not a big fan of those because they require too much teacher lesson planning. I've realized I prefer my science to be planned out for me. Also I feel some of the wtm recs are better for younger ages than what they are recommended for.

Those two (rs4k and rso) are quickly becoming my first choice. The only two from your list I have looked at and dismissed as options are ES and apologia.

BFSU and MPH look really great. I also like ScienceWorks.

I tried Apologia and I couldn't get into the textbooks. We tried Elemental and it feels light but we add to it a lot (extra books on the topic) although it gets done here. Almost more so than History at this point. I like it for that reason as well. We are on Earth Science/Astronomy for the Grammar Stage and I ordered Chemistry for Late Grammar stage for next year (9yo). Anyways, I like that they use real books, encyclopedias, and narrations, with easy to implement experiments.

It allows for a lot of rabbit trails as well. :)

This year science is actually get done with the Magic School Bus science I put together. The kids are having fun and learning a lot. Now the problem will start when we finish and I have to find something else to do :glare: . I think I am going to put my own thing together again with some of the WTM recs but will include the things we have with MSB (reading in age appropriate encyclopedias, some fiction and nonfiction books that will include Yesterday's Classics books, some notebooking, some experiments that will actually get done, and maybe some more games and poetry thrown in for fun). I have this problem with being tied to a curriculum- it stifles me (oh, and I am cheap!:)!

A various huge mixture rofl.

As a base we are using Oak Meadow, so if only one, I would use that.

We are science crazy here though :p I'm planning to make up Science Activities in a Bag for summer school (we don't school in summer).

Depending upon my children's interest, I add other things (last year we got a whole bunch of science experiment books, they just wanted to watch the experiments and play, we also did a couple of science curriculas, but my daughter wasn't happy with those, they were too dry (shes not a narration/copywork+lit=science gal, shes more of a "lets make experiments & draw" kinda child.)

This year my daughter is wanting some simple stuff her siblings can join in, so I'm tentatively adding in some of the Exploring Science by Elemental Science (her stuff last year we have both earth science & biology, and were'nt particularly fond of either for reasons I just said we also had RSO bio and Earth, with same problems), but the Exploring Science is a little different (still has narration/writing pages though), and we'll just use it as an organizer for Science Play which we already have and use our Main Lesson Books for anything we would like to draw rather than using the student pages.

Other stuff I am looking at (at my daughters request): Real Science 4 kids, I like the textbook, unsure on the labs, but they look simple and easy enough to quickly do or we can just skip the labs. Equine Science by Winter Promise, I originally looked at this as my daughters starting to go horse crazy, but I can only see one book out of the lot that would be anywhere suitable for her age, so I'll probably look into either a unit study or another simple book on horses. Exploration Education - LOVE the look of this, I've been thinking of doing it in 2014 so the other kids can have their own additional packs and do it too (I'm aware most of it may be over their heads, but DS would have a field day with it, and DD would be happy to have a science program she can do practically by herself. exploration with Atoms & Molecules Books 1&2, I was looking at these to stretch RS4K a bit (and of course add the all important extra activities). I have also been looking at BFSU, I am still undecided on that, it looks rigorous and thorough, and a good program, it just depends if I can adapt it for my kids.

We are inspired by waldorf, right-brained learning, unschooling/natural learning/radical unschooling and hands on/discovery. So whilst I don't adhere exactly to waldorf standard, I do look at them before deciding on a program. For instance BFSU is a great book, brilliant by the looks of it, but it does not mesh at all with waldorf standards. Waldorf standards in the younger years is really about the fact the child is very "one" with the world, and making them step back and answer questions directly (making them have to pull back from their self, and think logically and sort the answer) pulls them too quickly from that one-ness. Same as young children should view science & nature through their eyes, not through microscopes/magnifying glass, as this does something similar). Its more an osmosis style of learning in the beginning, rather than facts being forced upon them or them forced to look at things from an adults perspective. The child asking questions is something different entirely, thats the child wanting a bit more insight to understand, so is encouraged. In return you answer them at an age appropriate level (sometimes with analogies that they can understand). I'm just blabbering (I could go on for days about babble) my point is we look at things from an entirely different perspective from people who may be reading this.

So there is some ideas. My kids are very much "do" kids though. They really don't want to read about something, when they could actually be doing it instead. So it depends on your childrens learning styles.

We're following the four-year-cycle, but I pull from a lot of different sources. Right now, we are studying animals (vertebrates to be more exact). I use Evan-Moor ScienceWorks (we use it as our spine), The Mailbox Investigating Science series and lots and lots of library books and videos.

RSO was a no-go for us. Some of it was okay, but it's not a stand-alone. It got to the point that it wasn't worth the effort to try to use it.

This year science is actually get done with the Magic School Bus science I put together. The kids are having fun and learning a lot. Now the problem will start when we finish and I have to find something else to do :glare: . I think I am going to put my own thing together again with some of the WTM recs but will include the things we have with MSB (reading in age appropriate encyclopedias, some fiction and nonfiction books that will include Yesterday's Classics books, some notebooking, some experiments that will actually get done, and maybe some more games and poetry thrown in for fun). I have this problem with being tied to a curriculum- it stifles me (oh, and I am cheap! :)!

If you put your own together again will you please post it? We've been loving your plans with the MSB videos...every day my girls beg to do science. I really appreciate the effort you put into it.

We use real books to study science. I usually choose a spine and then additional books to go along with it. I've found some great books by checking the offerings at museum shops. We don't do experiments, which are usually just demonstrations at this age. Instead we do a big project each year. We've raised caterpillars, grown plants, studied the skies with a telescope, and next year we will be getting a microscope to explore with. We follow a modified WTM-type schedule. I find the recommended WTM rotation to be too heavy on chemistry and physics for the interests and abilities of my kids. We prefer a rotation that gives more emphasis to biology and earth/space science. Our rotation is:

Year 1 - Biology (basic biology, habitats, zoology)

Year 2 - Biology (anatomy, botany)

Year 3 - Physical Science (earth science, astronomy)

Year 4 - Physical Science (engineering, chemistry, physics)

Library books, chosen mostly randomly.

I also bought some of the Apologia books to use as reference books that they could read whenever. They love them for that! I just don't like using it as a main curriculum. I have science encyclopedias, etc. Basically, I have reference type books on the shelf, and we get individual topic books from the library. I'm amazed at how much science my 3rd grader knows, even when we didn't even *do* science formally the last couple years.

We're doing an Ellen McHenry brain unit right now and loving that also, but it would probably be a bit much for the average younger elementary student.

I didn't vote, b/c we are struggling too.

I have BFSU (Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding). In theory, I love it. Absolutely solid, and it is the perfect rigorous program I want for my kids. Practically speaking, though, it just isn't open-and-go enough to get done on a regular basis.

We use real books to study science. I usually choose a spine and then additional books to go along with it. I've found some great books by checking the offerings at museum shops. We don't do experiments, which are usually just demonstrations at this age. Instead we do a big project each year. We've raised caterpillars, grown plants, studied the skies with a telescope, and next year we will be getting a microscope to explore with. We follow a modified WTM-type schedule. I find the recommended WTM rotation to be too heavy on chemistry and physics for the interests and abilities of my kids. We prefer a rotation that gives more emphasis to biology and earth/space science. Our rotation is:

Year 1 - Biology (basic biology, habitats, zoology)

Year 2 - Biology (anatomy, botany)

Year 3 - Physical Science (earth science, astronomy)

Year 4 - Physical Science (engineering, chemistry, physics)

I think Evan-Moor is "better" than what I use, but what I use is the science in the What Your _ Grader Needs to Know ORIGINAL series. Science is broken up into living and physical science like above. I don't often see science broken up this way, so it caught my attention. Both living and physical science are taught each year, along with a 3rd strand about scientists.

Scaffolded inquiry.

If I had been more organized, more of this (above quote).

What we actually did in elementary was a selection of topics each year, more or less following Core Knowledge recommendations. No textbook, Lots of science supplies, experiments, field trips, collections.

We tried Singapore Science very briefly, but there were way too many books involved.

New here...can someone tell me what BFSU is? I am looking for a new science. We have been doing Answers in Genesis. While I like, my kids tend to zone out. I am looking into REAL kids and Christian Kids Explore for next year (biology to go with MOH 1).

It is Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding http://www.amazon.com/Building-Foundations-Scientific-Understanding-Curriculum/dp/1432706101. I know what you mean about AiG- I really think it would be best for maybe 5th grade or above:)

I voted other.

For elementary I have used and loved:

1.to make sure science gets done: Elemental science. It is fast and easy to use. The weekly experiments are simple but have great learning value. You can add in RSO to add more hands on if needed.

2.to cover lots of topics: BJU science is full of different topics covered each year however they are not just visited but covered in detail. Tons of experiments. It does use science equipment so could be pricey but science loving children like to do science with actual science equipment.

3. Single topic study: Apologia Exploring Science series is excellent. You can do them as readalouds and add in notebooking or a lapbook or have an older student read them covering 2 books a year. The dive deep in a subject approach leaves the child with a very full working knowledge of a topic that he will pull from for years to come.

I voted "other" as a BFSU user as well. When discussing science with homeschooling friends, however, I always tell them, "I only recommend BFSU if you are willing to make it hard on yourself to teach science!" It has so much depth, but it is now after three years of using Volume 1 (and now using it to teach a co-op class) that I am feeling super comfortable with it. BFSU Vol 2 is still intimidating (especially the the B thread, which I think covers some things I either never learned or totally forgot!), but we are slowly making our way into using it.

We also take a lot of rabbit trails and interest-led explorations via library books and other resources whether they correlate with what we are studying in BFSU or not. I am liking Sassafrass science as a fun independent science program I could give to DD to do "on the side."

I think the people who like BFSU best are usually people with a science background.

I've been wondering about BFSU, I looked at the samples but didn't understand how it worked. It did seem like the parent has to do all the planning for the actual lessons. Do you think a parent with no science background could teach this program?

Haven't found anything we've really *loved* and wanted to do more of.

Lapbooking through Biology was a mixed hit here for a couple of the youngers. Dd#2 loved the animals section. Dd#3 enjoyed the human body section - but I added quite a bit from another lapbook resource. No one is enjoying the plants section (yet?).

I've been wondering about BFSU, I looked at the samples but didn't understand how it worked. It did seem like the parent has to do all the planning for the actual lessons. Do you think a parent with no science background could teach this program?

A parent with no science background *could* teach it but it would require a lot of time investment. The lessons are essentially teaching the parent how to teach the kid. For someone with a strong science background, you can quickly read the lesson to brush up on any specifics; maybe take a few notes to make sure you hit everything. Someone without a strong science background would probably find the reading dense enough that they would need to read and reread, take extensive notes, and then finally teach the lesson. Implementing the "teachable moments" will not be intuitive for the parent lacking in science background. I can see how these moments might be lost if the parent didnt make a considerable effort to include them.

A parent with no science background *could* teach it but it would require a lot of time investment. The lessons are essentially teaching the parent how to teach the kid. For someone with a strong science background, you can quickly read the lesson to brush up on any specifics; maybe take a few notes to make sure you hit everything. Someone without a strong science background would probably find the reading dense enough that they would need to read and reread, take extensive notes, and then finally teach the lesson. Implementing the "teachable moments" will not be intuitive for the parent lacking in science background. I can see how these moments might be lost if the parent didnt make a considerable effort to include them.

Thank you for elaborating more on the planning. I could not do this right now with a new baby around!

I almost voted for "WTM recs," in that we stick with a topic for a while. But we don't really use WTM's resources or comply with their sequence. For us, the sequence has been:

• Life Science: Animals (K & Preschool) + Human Body/Plants (1st & Pre-K)
  • Earth Science: Geology/Weather (2nd & K) + Astronomy (3rd & 1st)
  • We plan to study Physics & Chemistry together (as Physical Science) over two years (4th & 2nd; 5th & 3rd)
  • After that (6th & 4th and beyond), we might study Birds and/or Insects for a full year, we're not certain.

In short, we are doing the "fill a shelf with lots of great science books and read them" approach. I think it's working (??), but it's too soon to tell. We have the books, along with nature walks, a nature collection, field guides, binoculars, magnifying glasses, field trips (science museum, discovery museum, arboretum, aquarium, zoo, planetarium), hands-on stuff (experiment books, materials), pets, a garden, cooking, baking, The Happy Scientist website (highly recommend), and science/nature videos. We also have Daddy, who's in medicine/technology. He's a great science resource, and answers all sorts of questions about science, probably accurately. I'm so glad to have him on the shelf, LOL.