Menu

Blogging about your kids...always a good idea?

msjones

SWB address some of this in her latest video chat. It's worth watching. I know as ds has gotten older, I post less on our blog. My ds chooses not to have a facebook account, so I respect his right to privacy and don't post everything about his/ours/my struggles. He doesn't read my blog, but I would never post anything that I'd be afraid or ashamed of him reading.

The reality is that technology and social media are going to be a part of our childrens' futures. Some employers already check facebook. Who is to say that in the future colleges won't check for blogs by or about our children as part of the admittance process, maybe some already do. I do a lot of genealogy research. The fun stuff is those personal entries you find about someone. It's like opening a treasure box of your heritage. I like that aspect of blogging, that I'm creating a diary for the future. It's a balance between sharing too much and not sharing anything that shows your real personality.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't post on FB about my kids because it feels like an invasion of their privacy. Everyone else I know posts every detail of their lives, and they think I'm weird because I don't want the entire world knowing everything we do. I had to stop going on FB, it was getting too creepy knowing what everyone I know had for lunch, and then having them criticize me for not letting everyone know what my kids were doing at all times. It is too surreal for me, and my kids aren't allowed to use social media until high school. My 10 yo has begged for a FB account because his friends at school have them. I'd rather he be the odd duck who actually follows the rules and waits.

I don't have a blog. Not interested, and I probably wouldn't keep up with it anyway! If I did blog, and it were open to the public, I would be pretty cautious and not use my real name, my son's name, etc.

It took YEARS for DH and I to even join Facebook, and I have the tightest privacy settings and am cautious about what I post. That's just me. Like the old saying goes, is it still paranoia if some one is really out to get you?? ;)

About closing your blog--you don't have much control over this, because there are boards devoted to picking up blogs, copy/pasting them, and mocking anything and everything about them. It doesn't matter how popular one's blog is, you never know why and how one's blog can end up pasted all over the internet.

There are also message boards dedicated to bashing and making fun of what is posted on other message boards.

We keep a blog. It's mostly to document our kids' lives and share them with extended family who live far away. I'd never post anything that I would feel uncomfortable sharing in church or whatever. But I would hope that my posts about my difficulty raising kids, or the struggles the kids have had are taken in context. Life isn't perfect. Kids aren't perfect people. They have ups and downs too. And that's okay. Eventually, I will post about how they overcame whatever trial they were struggling with and then the message won't be of despair, but of victory.

BUT, my blog's not famous or well-read. The readers who know of it and the tiny space of the Internet it inhabits are family and friends. It's mostly just a documentation of our life. And for that, I would hope for it to be accurate, not only posting about the good and/or happy things.

Why blog about the bad parts of your day as well as the good? Because I think there's enough things that are all portrayed through "rose colored glasses" in this world. It makes mothers feel bad when they see that their days are not all sunshine and rainbows and then they read a blog after blog about how smart everyone's kids are and how they act like angels and make muffins together every morning. Though I am WAY behind in my blogging, I like to blog about real life. I don't say things like "Man, my kid was a brat today!" But I may post something like "We're dealing with some issues in selfishness from our oldest child. We've been praying about it and we're doing this.... This....and this in hopes that we can encourage a change of heart."

Enough things make mothers feel inferior. Why blog only about the good days when that's not how it is all the time?

Because then your daughter's struggles with selfishness (or whatever it may be) have been made extremely public.

I would not want my husband or mother or friends to publicly discuss my shortcomings.

I understand that we all need support and encouragement about the trials and struggles of real life. That's what real-life friends and family are for.

I appreciate the blogs where the parents of special needs kids, kids adopted in difficult circumstances, etc. share the ups and downs. It is usually done in a loving manner, and things that might "embarrass" someone someday are posted rarely and with careful consideration of the pros and cons (the pro being that it's helpful to other families in similar situations). The thing that tends to bug me the most is that people will post about their neurotypical child's potty problems, beyond the age when most kids are in diapers. ... Personally I don't have a blog (I'm not that interesting), and when I post online it's mostly anonymous. Sometimes I post something "bad" because I want to hear from people who have btdt. Sometimes I need a sanity check. And sometimes I just know folks will get me and we can share a moment of silliness. ... On facebook (where I use a pseudonym and only have 12 friends anyway), I go back and delete not-so-awesome kid-oriented comments after they've been up a day or so.

I was taught that Always and Never were words the Princeton PSAT folks used to help testers eliminate wrong answers.

I eliminate the Always choice circle.

I don't like my thread title either. Don't think they can be edited, can they?

Because then your daughter's struggles with selfishness (or whatever it may be) have been made extremely public.

I would not want my husband or mother or friends to publicly discuss my shortcomings.

I understand that we all need support and encouragement about the trials and struggles of real life. That's what real-life friends and family are for.

To be fair, not everyone has real-life friends and family or they may have family/friends that do not support their life choices or understand the difficulties they face. While I don't think everything should be posted publicly online, I think there is a place for a virtual support system.

Some of these homeschooling and 'mommy blogs' really disturb me.

I am amazed at what some people post about their children on the internet. When did it become okay to broadcast your child's weaknesses, bad moods, academic struggles, athletic failures, behavioral diagnoses, picky eating issues, and crummy behavior?

I wonder about how these kids will feel about all of this blogging one day. I'm sure my mom was plenty worried and fed up and disappointed while raising me, but I'm glad she didn't write it all out and post it on the world wide web!

Some day the kid can read all that, can't he/she? What about privacy? Or am I missing some technological something -- can everything be deleted? Would it really be gone?

Do correct me if I'm missing something.

I can see blogging about your own personal struggles and shortcomings (although it's not my cup of tea), but I think kids need some privacy as they grow and learn.

:iagree: Emphatically agree. Well said.

I appreciate the blogs where the parents of special needs kids, kids adopted in difficult circumstances, etc. share the ups and downs. It is usually done in a loving manner, and things that might "embarrass" someone someday are posted rarely and with careful consideration of the pros and cons (the pro being that it's helpful to other families in similar situations). The thing that tends to bug me the most is that people will post about their neurotypical child's potty problems, beyond the age when most kids are in diapers. ... Personally I don't have a blog (I'm not that interesting), and when I post online it's mostly anonymous. Sometimes I post something "bad" because I want to hear from people who have btdt. Sometimes I need a sanity check. And sometimes I just know folks will get me and we can share a moment of silliness. ... On facebook (where I use a pseudonym and only have 12 friends anyway), I go back and delete not-so-awesome kid-oriented comments after they've been up a day or so.

Interesting, because the adoption blogs are the ones that bother me the most.

I was adopted, so were my siblings, and I would not have wanted our most personal issues made public -- even for the support of other adoptive families. That would not have justified it in my mind.

It's one thing to share with trusted friends, family, a counselor, or a support group with confidentiality guidelines.

But to post sensitive, private information about a newly adopted child on a public blog that can be read by anyone? I don't understand that.

To be fair, not everyone has real-life friends and family or they may have family/friends that do not support their life choices or understand the difficulties they face. While I don't think everything should be posted publicly online, I think there is a place for a virtual support system.

Agreed, to a point. Couldn't these online groups be made private?

Why blog about the bad parts of your day as well as the good? Because I think there's enough things that are all portrayed through "rose colored glasses" in this world. It makes mothers feel bad when they see that their days are not all sunshine and rainbows and then they read a blog after blog about how smart everyone's kids are and how they act like angels and make muffins together every morning. Though I am WAY behind in my blogging, I like to blog about real life. I don't say things like "Man, my kid was a brat today!" But I may post something like "We're dealing with some issues in selfishness from our oldest child. We've been praying about it and we're doing this.... This....and this in hopes that we can encourage a change of heart."

Enough things make mothers feel inferior. Why blog only about the good days when that's not how it is all the time?

I'd rather read "my kid acted bratty today" than "my kid was a brat today."

And I'd rather read either brat statement than something like your selfishness statements. To me, that is oversharing.

Agreed, to a point. Couldn't these online groups be made private?

I'm a member of one that is private and "secret." You can't find it if you go looking for it, or by accident. You have to be invited by someone who knows you fit into certain categories. Then once in, you get to see lots of honesty. Of course there are still lots of things that people hold back, but we share stuff that seems helpful to others.

Interesting, because the adoption blogs are the ones that bother me the most.

I was adopted, so were my siblings, and I would not have wanted our most personal issues made public -- even for the support of other adoptive families. That would not have justified it in my mind.

It's one thing to share with trusted friends, family, a counselor, or a support group with confidentiality guidelines.

But to post sensitive, private information about a newly adopted child on a public blog that can be read by anyone? I don't understand that.

I'm not sure what you've been seeing. The blogs I see are pretty sensitive toward the feelings of their adopted kids, especially as they get past the toddler/preschool stage. The ones I've seen get a little more personal involve either 1. older kids who have been asked and consented to the sharing; 2. kids who have such challenges that they will never understand enough to be embarrassed by the issue; 3. families where there are so many kids that the parent can mention an issue vaguely without giving away who is doing exactly what.

I'm not sure what you've been seeing. The blogs I see are pretty sensitive toward the feelings of their adopted kids, especially as they get past the toddler/preschool stage. The ones I've seen get a little more personal involve either 1. kids who have been asked and consented to the sharing; 2. kids who have such challenges that they will never understand enough to be embarrassed by the issue; 3. families where there are so many kids that the parent can mention an issue vaguely without giving away who is doing exactly what.

Category 1: kids can't give consent for something that has implications that are beyond their understanding.

category 2: these kids need to be protected by the adults in their lives more than anyone.

Category 3: no comment

I should clarify, I don't find it "creepy" when other people blog about their kids or share on FB. What I found hard to deal with was other people criticizing me for not publicizing my family more. It was the pressure I was getting from others to put my kids on FB more that I found creepy.

I enjoy many Mommy blogs, as long as there isn't TMI.

Category 1: kids can't give consent for something that has implications that are beyond their understanding.

category 2: these kids need to be protected by the adults in their lives more than anyone.

Category 3: no comment

1. I should have specified (and I went back and edited) that I meant older kids giving consent. And even then, it's never something humiliating (that I've seen so far). 2. Again, I guess it depends on how it's done. For example, I follow a blog re a little girl (now 6) who has mitochondrial disease among other things, and she is extremely delayed and always will be; in fact, this is a degenerative disease so the girl's lifespan will probably be quite short. The blogger is very loving but she does mention digestive issues which my own typical 6yos would find embarrassing. The reason she has a blog is to update family/friends and to provide useful info (e.g., results of meds and therapies, course of the disease) to others with similar problems. I never get a bad feeling about what she shares. Now the very popular blogger who posted about her bright almost-5yo pooping in his bed every night? Yuck.

I agree, that is why I'm here, I enjoy the support these boards provide while I can still maintain anonymity, as I am a deeply private person IRL. I don't feel so uncomfortable sharing things when I'm not using me real name or my photo. Others don't have my hang ups, they feel comfortable sharing openly and I don't judge them for it. But, there do need to be some boundaries where kids are concerned.

My blog is about gardening, not my kids, so no, there isn't anything on there that would embarrass my kids. On facebook, which I have privacy settings which I check frequently, I only do things like sometimes talk a bit about my middle daughter's medical issues- she has been getting what turns out to be seizures and other problems since suddenly last Feb and no diagnosis as yet. I have found that by telling people about a rare medical issue, the more people you tell, the more likely someone will have some info to help. FOr example, if anyone wants recommendations on a bone expert, if their child keeps breaking bones, I have a good recommendation. My other daughter had a very rare condition, idieopathic juvenile osteoporosis, and it took us years to get her help. If I can shorten that time for anyone, both of us, her and me, would consider that a good thing.

I'm not sure what you've been seeing. The blogs I see are pretty sensitive toward the feelings of their adopted kids, especially as they get past the toddler/preschool stage. The ones I've seen get a little more personal involve either 1. older kids who have been asked and consented to the sharing; 2. kids who have such challenges that they will never understand enough to be embarrassed by the issue; 3. families where there are so many kids that the parent can mention an issue vaguely without giving away who is doing exactly what.

I think that we never know what our kids will be sensitive about later on.

I see parents sharing the circumstances of the child's abandonment or disabilities. I see parents sharing about the adopted child's not developing normally, not attaching, sleep issues, food issues, and behavioral issues in general. I see information about the conditions at the orphanage.

The child may not 'mind' in the future. Or the child may grow up feeling ashamed and embarrassed about topics the mother share freely with the public.

I am not saying that all these things must be secreted away in some locked family file. But that's a long way from sharing potentially sensitive info on a public blog.

I can tell you I would be quite bothered if my mom had publicly blogged about issues around my adoption.

This just seems like another thing to have a mommy wars ordeal over. *shrug*

If someone over shares, well, that's their problem. And besides, what is over sharing? We would all define that differently. I don't want to read about someone's v*gina or bathroom habits, whereas someone else is offended by even seeing pictures of someone else's child that shows their face. Some people are super, staunchly private, other people need to talk things through. So what? Why would it bother us so much? I feel like this thread is meant to make those of us who ever blog about our children in any way feel like bad parents or something.

I agree that people overshare, and some even do so to the point of putting their children in actual danger IMO. But I don't see this as something to group all bloggers together. Many of you seem very private. That's fine, I don't think it is necessarily superior. Our kids can grow up feeling incredibly loved and treasured even if we blog their every move. And they can grow up feeling hated and abandoned if their parents never start a blog. I don't think a blog makes or breaks that.

This just seems like another thing to have a mommy wars ordeal over. *shrug*

If someone over shares, well, that's their problem. And besides, what is over sharing? We would all define that differently. I don't want to read about someone's v*gina or bathroom habits, whereas someone else is offended by even seeing pictures of someone else's child that shows their face. Some people are super, staunchly private, other people need to talk things through. So what? Why would it bother us so much? I feel like this thread is meant to make those of us who ever blog about our children in any way feel like bad parents or something.

I agree that people overshare, and some even do so to the point of putting their children in actual danger IMO. But I don't see this as something to group all bloggers together. Many of you seem very private. That's fine, I don't think it is necessarily superior. Our kids can grow up feeling incredibly loved and treasured even if we blog their every move. And they can grow up feeling hated and abandoned if their parents never start a blog. I don't think a blog makes or breaks that.

I don't think anyone even suggested that.

My point is that one's children may not be glad to have had what they consider private information shared publicly on the internet by their mothers.

And I think mothers who blog should keep that in mind.

My point is that one's children may not be glad to have had what they consider private information shared publicly on the internet by their mothers.

:iagree: :iagree:

And there are waaaaaayyyy too many mothers out there who never seem to even consider it.

I think the difference for me is oversharing about someone else's life...namely your child's. this can happen to any of us, using any media or in public.

The other issue for me are the mommy blogs that are selling the family. I think we don't own our children's story...they do.

Point taken.

I guess coming from someone (me) who tries to be really careful with what I post on the blog, because I KNOW family members and people that love us are reading it, I just assume that others have thought the issue through and made the decision that works for them. Like any other parenting issue, I guess.

This has been an interesting read, thanks for all the thoughtful comments. I will admit that when I finished reading the entire first page I was ready to hit delete on my own blog. This is an issue I have thought about many, many times before and will probably continue to contemplate for some time. I enjoy my blog, I enjoy the creative aspect that it provides me. I love sharing pictures and I love writing and talking about homeschooling. I have even benefited from being able to do reviews, which benefit my children. I think "maybe" it helps some friends that don't choose to homeschool, see the cool side of what we do each day. My children are almost always in their PJ's for school and NEVER have their hair brushed so I tend not to post too many pictures of them, especially of their faces but I have on occasion when it works. I think I might have more of the cats then the kids but then I have more cats then I do kids. :laugh:

I have talked with my kids about this and one seems indifferent and one likes it but they don't really like the pictures and that's why I don't post many. If I do, they give me their approval but I also realize that might be a compromise on their part. I do worry when I see the places and location from those who visit my blog. Sometimes the countries (the people from the countries) seem so vast and far away and it makes me nervous. Most of those contacts come from this board though so I have to remember that, it's a homeschool sharing forum and it is usually about a post that I have linked to.

There are only certain blogs that I visit regularly and I guess I feel that I "know" them a bit more and have enjoyed sharing with them on a regular basis. I have really been thinking of quitting as well but just haven't decided yet. This thread might help me decide! I also am really disliking FB lately as well. I feel like everyone just makes posts about day to day stuff but then sometimes I do too because I just want that human contact! I have thought about deleting as well but then I know my kids are close to the age where they might want one and that makes me think I should keep it. :huh: I did already delete most of my family already and just try to keep in touch with those that I really want to.

Thanks for letting me ramble....something to think about for sure! :confused1:

I Thought about this all night as I tossed and turned.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone or say anyone is bad parent because they blog about their children/ family. I tried to write above about oversharing and I did reply to what ChristusG used as an example...but because she used the example, not because I think she's a bad parent, etc. I don't even know if that is a real example from her blog or not.

But let's say I have a relative who blogs, just for friends and family. And that relative has a child who talks back and she posts all about it on her blog, what the child does, what she does to correct the child, etc. I don't think it's fair to the child. No one is without fault and yet, a child's faults are being shared ON PURPOSE with friends and family. Most likely, the child will grow and mature and stop back talking. But since the incident was shared with family and friends, they'll still have that evidence of the back talker even after the back talker gets better.

But like I said, it's not just blogs. People can over share in real life. I just think a blog has a greater impact bc it has a permanent aspect to it.

The other part of mommy blogging I think is wrong is when mega-mommy bloggers sell their kids' and family-'s stories to make money, when life becomes blog fodder. If you have thousands of Instagram followers, why in the world are you posting a pic of your nude preschooler? My answer is to increase traffic. I'm sure others will come up with a non-financial reason, ha-ha.

1. I should have specified (and I went back and edited) that I meant older kids giving consent. And even then, it's never something humiliating (that I've seen so far). 2. Again, I guess it depends on how it's done. For example, I follow a blog re a little girl (now 6) who has mitochondrial disease among other things, and she is extremely delayed and always will be; in fact, this is a degenerative disease so the girl's lifespan will probably be quite short. The blogger is very loving but she does mention digestive issues which my own typical 6yos would find embarrassing. The reason she has a blog is to update family/friends and to provide useful info (e.g., results of meds and therapies, course of the disease) to others with similar problems. I never get a bad feeling about what she shares. Now the very popular blogger who posted about her bright almost-5yo pooping in his bed every night? Yuck.

I understand your points. I see how people with differing needs children, with unique situations can benefit from sharing and exchanging information.

And I agree with the yuck. But I'm sure there are White Knights out there who will defend the mommy blogger posting poopy stories. meh.

So much judgement. There are many reasons to have a blog, even though I've never had one.

1--family too far away. It helps keep in contact

2--What a wonderful way to show the world that we aren't "those types of homeschoolers" (you know the ones I'm talking about)

3--What if I had a child with a serious illness or issue? What if I wasn't getting any support from a medical doctor or something? I'd be thankful that someone, somewhere decided to blog about. I wouldn't feel so alone.

4--How about "Because I can". Really. You may not do it, you may feel it's over-sharing, you may think your kids would be embarrassed or whatever. The fact of the matter is, you do not know these families. My own kid sits and thinks of witty things for me to say on facebook, all the time.

Really, I do not care that someone is "over-sharing", I've learned a lot over the years from these blogs I do read. I do not care that someone "Makes money" off their posts either. That's their business and if I could do it, I would.

Why so judgmental of someone doing what works for their family? And yes, it is judgmental of you all to say the things you are saying. There's no conspiracy theory here, they are mommy bloggers doing whatever they can for their family and in most cases, doing whatever they want because they can.

(and this wasn't necessary: "But I'm sure there are White Knights out there who will defend the mommy blogger posting poopy stories. meh" I'm not defending the poopy stories nor am I a white knight. I just think it very judgmental of you all to speak about these people the way you are. It's rather harsh.)

You know what I find interesting about this thread? This forum is VERY public. I'm sure you all know this. And I'm sure you are all aware of just how easy it is for someone to find out the same information about you, through your posts here; as you are claiming one could find out about these blog posters.

You know what I find interesting about this thread? This forum is VERY public. I'm sure you all know this. And I'm sure you are all aware of just how easy it is for someone to find out the same information about you, through your posts here; as you are claiming one could find out about these blog posters.

This is something that gets discussed regularly here. I think the tendency to over share our lives, and as parents our children's lives, has always been around. I think that the advent of the Internet and social media has made the over sharing more permanent, more visible, and maybe a touch more concerning.

This is something that gets discussed regularly here. I think the tendency to over share our lives, and as parents our children's lives, has always been around. I think that the advent of the Internet and social media has made the over sharing more permanent, more visible, and maybe a touch more concerning.

That may be true but I guess I'm just not that concerned; or as concerned as some think we should be. The threat will always be there; whether online or in person and there's nothing you can really do about that threat. Statistically, it just isn't as much of a threat as some make it out to be.

There are are a few blogs I visit for homeschool inspiration, but I find them to not share deeply about their children beyond the, "we studied bugs this month b/c that was what little Jane wanted", sort of thing.

I struggle with this though, because here on the boards I have been helped so much by others with SN children sharing. Here at our house we try really hard to maintain the balance between shielding our SN kids information and not treating their difficulties like something that has to be hidden.

In the end sharing is a balancing act and will look different for each person. Where it may come back to bite the mommy-bloggers is if they have a child whose balance is far differencing from theirs and resents the level of sharing.

That may be true but I guess I'm just not that concerned; or as concerned as some think we should be. The threat will always be there; whether online or in person and there's nothing you can really do about that threat. Statistically, it just isn't as much of a threat as some make it out to be.

I am not sure what threat you are referring to, but my concern with over sharing is my relationship with my children being damaged and poor modeling of how to navigate social media in a time when everyone seems to be "hanging it all out" for the world.

I am not sure what threat you are referring to, but my concern with over sharing is my relationship with my children being damaged and poor modeling of how to navigate social media in a time when everyone seems to be "hanging it all out" for the world.

Many different types of threats I've heard over the years with regard to blogs and message boards. But I can assure you, at least anecdotally, I truly do not think my relationship with my children would be damaged nor do I believe it to be poor modeling at all. It's the sign of the times. These kids will only know all this technology and I think it more damaging to not have them part of it than I do over our relationship (and by that I mean, our relationship is already quite strong. And if yours is as well, nothing will shatter that).

I try to keep my blog pretty neutral. I don't post photos where you'll ever be able to recognize my kids and I don't use our names. I write about NYC, what there is to do, and how to maneuver through the strict regulations. I also talk about what methods and books and programs we use and what we think of it all. I don't think I've put anything in to embarrass the kids, but I do say how proud I am.

Now you got me paranoid.

I have told my close friends and family, sometimes via email, about some issues like my daughter's stealing problem and learning problems. I do this because friends and family support each other. If I thought they would come back and embarrass or otherwise hurt my kids later, they wouldn't be friends / confidantes. The only thing new about this is that some confidantes might be saving my electronic communications to use against me later. But seriously. I can't live my life worrying that my friends are that nasty. If it ever happens, I will tell my kids that I wanted to get their ideas since they had a kid with issues, or had issues themselves as kids. I should hope my relationship with my kids does not turn on this sort of thing.