Menu

Blogging about your kids...always a good idea?

msjones

Some of these homeschooling and 'mommy blogs' really disturb me.

I am amazed at what some people post about their children on the internet. When did it become okay to broadcast your child's weaknesses, bad moods, academic struggles, athletic failures, behavioral diagnoses, picky eating issues, and crummy behavior?

I wonder about how these kids will feel about all of this blogging one day. I'm sure my mom was plenty worried and fed up and disappointed while raising me, but I'm glad she didn't write it all out and post it on the world wide web!

Some day the kid can read all that, can't he/she? What about privacy? Or am I missing some technological something -- can everything be deleted? Would it really be gone?

Do correct me if I'm missing something.

I can see blogging about your own personal struggles and shortcomings (although it's not my cup of tea), but I think kids need some privacy as they grow and learn.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am constantly amazed at the things people post about their kids, and I particularly hate it when they post embarrassing photos. I know they're trying to be funny, but it just seems sort of mean to me. I would never want to publicly humiliate my ds like that.

I always feel that, if I want to post an embarrassing photo or tell a story about something humiliating that happened, then the main character in that photo or story is going to be me. I'm not going to post something like that about anyone else. If I want to be self-deprecating, that's fine, but it's not nice to do it to someone else.

What really gets me are families who turn their lives over to reality TV shows. Some of those kids never get paid and because of the high visibility of the shows, the kids have so little privacy. I don't care who is on the show or what it is about but I don't think that children should have to work on TV shows without some restrictions and financial protections in place and at some, fairly young, age, I think they should get to say no if they don't want to do it.

I am amazed at what some people post about their children on the internet. When did it become okay to broadcast your child's weaknesses, bad moods, academic struggles, athletic failures, behavioral diagnoses, picky eating issues, and crummy behavior?

I try not to post about those types of things, but then I hear people talking about how blogs portray peoples lives as being perfect. Ours certainly isn't, but I'm not going to post that kind of thing on a public blog. :glare: I guess you can't win.

Because sometimes other parents with difficult children need to know that they're not alone. Because sometimes people respond with something really helpful. And because sometimes it leads to discussions that lead to discoveries.

I guess I'd say that kind of conversation ought to be private -- with trusted friends -- rather on the internet for anyone and everyone to see.

I try not to post about those types of things, but then I hear people talking about how blogs portray peoples lives as being perfect. Ours certainly isn't, but I'm not going to post that kind of thing on a public blog. :glare: I guess you can't win.

I think you could win by not posting overly personal information on open, public blogs.

This is something I've been wondering lately and struggling with. 99% of my blog is about trips we take, places we go, but I have shared some of our difficulties as well. I ALWAYS wonder if this is a good idea or not.

I have definitely posted negative things about my children on facebook. Venting. Ranting. Usually I try to make it somewhat humorous. I started a new, more private facebook account because I was getting too self conscious of how transparent I am, and I only wanted people as friends who I knew care about me/us and understand me. :)

I have no one to talk to and don't want to just be burdening and unloading on people I know IRL. Because of our unique situation (choosing to have a large family) I do not feel that I can complain to people who know and care about us IRL, this was our choice. That doesn't mean some days are just plain hard though. I have never been one who is good at pretending or hiding my feelings, though. In fact, I just took an online quiz that showed me as strongly asperger-ish, so maybe that is my problem? Not sure.

I guess everyone has a line they are comfortable with. I have exactly 4 entries with pictures on my blog out of about 125 posts. 1 of those entries doesn't show the face. And while I do discuss the kids, if it is anything negative or even slightly negative I try to do it very tongue in cheek. And I am always aware never to post anything I wouldn't be willing for the kids to read themselves.

I am even more cautious when i write about my husband. I never write anything negative or even slightly negative about him, ever.

But I have seen mommy blogs that border on reality TV level exploitation. I am not on FB but I've heard the "kid exposure" there is tremendous.

So I would say if it is done tastefully and cautiously it's no great sin. But there is a line that when crossed quickly becomes a tipping point and would, personally, make me uncomfortable.

There are also a lot of mommy blogs that while public, have a very small readership, consisting mainly of family and friends. The "singapore" blog I cam across was public but I just stumbled across it by chance through a category search. I don't get the impression many people read it.

"Don't discuss my husband and children's faults unless I'd be willing to let them discuss mine. :eek: " This has been my mantra. Even when I've felt the need to share something with another mom in order to give her some perspective, I temper my words with how things have improved or what has been learned, or say what my own fault in the situation was. I never want to humiliate anyone, especially my children.

I simply don't get the whole blog thing. Why would anyone want to read my blog, and why does anyone want to read anyone else's? And who has time to write or read them anyway!? As for kids - well - if the whole blog is anonymous without pictures, go for it, I guess.... But - those kids have peers, future boyfriends and girlfriends, etc., and have a right to have their childhoods somewhat private.... most of these kids, I'm sure, have absolutely no say in what their moms write for all to see.

Absolutely no one should falsely make their lives seem perfect on a blog - but - why does anyone read a blog that makes someone's life seem perfect or make the reader feel bad??? Masochism? I don't get it.

Yes, there are some very popular mommy blogs that share way TMI, they talk in detail about their s*x life, their v@gina even (thanks, but I could go without knowing that your vag looks like a sad elephant, seriously) LOL! One even posted herself practically naked, just to show support for overweight ladies.

I'm not sure one extreme is better than the other. Maybe the people who hang it all out there will never live with the regret of bearing their burdens alone and they most likely will never keep dark, harmful secrets. I don't know.

I have no one to talk to and don't want to just be burdening and unloading on people I know IRL. Because of our unique situation (choosing to have a large family) I do not feel that I can complain to people who know and care about us IRL, this was our choice.

:grouphug:

Do you think maybe you could find a few online friends in similar situations and either email each other, or start a small private group so you could discuss things without sharing them with too many other people?

That way, you would have someone to talk to, yet not have to worry about too many people reading what you wrote.

:grouphug:

Do you think maybe you could find a few online friends in similar situations and either email each other, or start a small private group so you could discuss things without sharing them with too many other people?

That way, you would have someone to talk to, yet not have to worry about too many people reading what you wrote.

Yes, well I keep my blog relatively private and don't post the link many places at all. I started it just to give the grandparents news as we are all spread out across the country, so most of the stuff I post is about places we go, fun things we've done, pics of the kids, etc. The grandparents GREATLY appreciate this. But I also sometimes use it as a journal of sorts to share some things I've been thinking or struggling with.

And I started the new more private fb account and do feel more comfortable now. I'm sure there were numerous people on my other account who judged me, and I don't worry about that anymore.

So I do try to be careful. :)

I think you could win by not posting overly personal information on open, public blogs.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. :confused1: I try not to post overly personal information but I guess that term is subjective. I think it is time to get off the computer today and do something else. :sad:

I blog about my children, and I even share pictures of them. But they know exactly what I'm posting, and see all of the pictures, and they don't mind. I try to portray them in the best possible light. I may share struggles they're having with a particular subject from time to time, but more from the perspective of me not teaching it right. I don't vent about them, ever...that's a major pet peeve of mine. And I do talk about autism, both in general, and some of the struggles my son has, but again, I never portray him in a negative light. I actually focus on the achievements he's made, and I've heard from other readers that it's inspired them, which is why I do it.

Blogging is very important to me and to our family, and I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon. If any of the children ever had a problem with what I posted about them, though, I seriously consider what they had to say, and how I could work around it.

Because sometimes other parents with difficult children need to know that they're not alone. Because sometimes people respond with something really helpful. And because sometimes it leads to discussions that lead to discoveries.

I totally understand this. Totally. But there's a good way, and a bad way. I talk about the situation, not the people. Because....

"Don't discuss my husband and children's faults unless I'd be willing to let them discuss mine. :eek: " This has been my mantra. Even when I've felt the need to share something with another mom in order to give her some perspective, I temper my words with how things have improved or what has been learned, or say what my own fault in the situation was. I never want to humiliate anyone, especially my children.

This. Totally, this.

OMG, what if in 30 years our kids read these blogs with all of their gone wrong moments and feel *totally violated*. Their mother put their faults out there for the whole *world* to see.

I just can't. I seriously would never talk to my mother again if she had done that to me. And so I use the same yardstick.

I would rather be seen as a Pollyanna Blogger than to have their loyalty and love treated so shabbily.

Also, I make our blog entries into books every couple of years. My oldest has read all of these books DOZENS of times. She loves them. I asked her the other day if she feels violated by anything I have written and she looked so confused and said "absolutely not!" so I guess I'm not doing too badly. :) Also, we can close/delete our blog whenever we want.

Also, I make our blog entries into books every couple of years. My oldest has read all of these books DOZENS of times. She loves them. I asked her the other day if she feels violated by anything I have written and she looked so confused and said "absolutely not!" so I guess I'm not doing too badly. :) Also, we can close/delete our blog whenever we want.

My kids love looking at and reading my blog. If they were upset by something I posted I would delete it.

I don't really get blogging. It feels too much to me like reading someone's diary and there really isn't anyone in the world whose diary I want to read. I usually don't read my own again, but the diary entries from my first pregnancy and the postpartum stuff are awesome. I was incoherent for a good 10 days there. :laugh:

And FB updates about how awful your kids are will get me to kick you.

I guess I'd say that kind of conversation ought to be private -- with trusted friends -- rather on the internet for anyone and everyone to see.

Here's the thing though. If people always discuss this privately, then many ways of handling an ADHD child or a child's learning disability or personality disorder might go unheard. My son has MERLD. It is a language disorder. There are precious few resources for me to get information to help him, I scour any blog entry I can find that deals with it. I have found some helpful ideas, things I wouldn't have thought of.

Yes, obviously, it is a bit of an invasion of privacy. It is showing a weak part of your child. I, for one, however, am glad that some people choose to do so as it does help others. I could talk to friends, family, and even many drs all day long and get no ideas or understanding about my son's special needs.

ETA - it should be said, however, that I would view a matter of fact, yet loving, and honest post in a better light than one that whines or reflects on the child negatively (my son has many issues, but I try to present him in a positive way and allow that he has hurdles....because he IS a wonderful kid. I wouldn't want anyone to think I thought he was stupid or has no potential, and the posts have to be carefully written to not sound that way because he DOES struggle so mightily in some areas.)

Here's the thing though. If people always discuss this privately, then many ways of handling an ADHD child or a child's learning disability or personality disorder might go unheard. My son has MERLD. It is a language disorder. There are precious few resources for me to get information to help him, I scour any blog entry I can find that deals with it. I have found some helpful ideas, things I wouldn't have thought of.

Yes, obviously, it is a bit of an invasion of privacy. It is showing a weak part of your child. I, for one, however, am glad that some people choose to do so as it does help others. I could talk to friends, family, and even many drs all day long and get no ideas or understanding about my son's special needs.

I think there is a right way and a wrong way to go about this though. It's one thing to describe a difficult situation and how you handled it or what was learned from it, for the edification of others, and another thing entirely to whine about your family or mock them in public. It is the latter that I have a problem with, much more so than the former.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. :confused1: I try not to post overly personal information but I guess that term is subjective. I think it is time to get off the computer today and do something else. :sad:

I didn't mean for that to sound harsh, and I apologize if it did.

I mean that if you wouldn't share it in front of your kids, over a loudspeaker at a huge, public event, it might be too personal to blog about.

Or, if you wouldn't talk about it in front of your kids while their friends or cousins were there, then it's probably too personal and a violation of their privacy.

I see now, from posts on this thread, that some people have a private blog -- just for family with a password (I assume). That makes a lot more sense than these completely open blogs about children.

Just today I read a few things that just made me cringe. I can't see the mom or kids looking back and being glad such information had been publicly displayed.

And FB updates about how awful your kids are will get me to kick you.

Well see, we will never be fb friends then. LOL! Sometimes my kids act awful, and I vent about it. Not in extreme detail, more like "I am about to lose my mind from all of this screaming and yelling." A few days ago this article was going around and I thought it was funny, so I posted it. Things like that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amber-dusick/parenting-i-quit_b_3008809.html

I also post nice, lovey-dovey, happy things, it's not all negative. But I certainly wouldn't want someone as my friend who sees these things and thinks I'm a horrible parent or whatever. Different strokes for different folks I guess, and it's good that facebook *can* be relatively private.

Guest submarines

I totally agree. I've asked some homeschooling bloggers, and they said their children were fine with it. For crying out loud, children can't give informed consent on this subject! I find "mommy blogging" one of the most disturbing and disgraceful things on the internet.

ETA - it should be said, however, that I would view a matter of fact, yet loving, and honest post in a better light than one that whines or reflects on the child negatively (my son has many issues, but I try to present him in a positive way and allow that he has hurdles....because he IS a wonderful kid. I wouldn't want anyone to think I thought he was stupid or has no potential, and the posts have to be carefully written to not sound that way because he DOES struggle so mightily in some areas.)

I certainly see the value of this type of blog.

But why not do this anonymously? Without the photos and birth dates and names?

My kids and dh always see my blog posts before I post them.

I don't think I've posted things that would embarrass them. I try not to do that on purpose. I have the opposite problem. My kids are always wanting me to post something about them on the blog!

There have been a couple of times that my oldest dd has asked me not to talk about something or post something that she thought was too personal. In both cases, I had already decided not to post about it, but I explained to her that I would never post something on the blog if she didn't want me to do so.

I keep my blog as a diary of our homeschool and a bit about our family. I've been shocked that people have actually subscribed and read it!

Guest submarines

How old is your oldest?

About closing your blog--you don't have much control over this, because there are boards devoted to picking up blogs, copy/pasting them, and mocking anything and everything about them. It doesn't matter how popular one's blog is, you never know why and how one's blog can end up pasted all over the internet.

Manyy mommy bloggers tag their posts with full names of their children.

Well see, we will never be fb friends then. LOL! Sometimes my kids act awful, and I vent about it. Not in extreme detail, more like "I am about to lose my mind from all of this screaming and yelling." A few days ago this article was going around and I thought it was funny, so I posted it. Things like that.

http://www.huffingto..._b_3008809.html

I also post nice, lovey-dovey, happy things, it's not all negative. But I certainly wouldn't want someone as my friend who sees these things and thinks I'm a horrible parent or whatever. Different strokes for different folks I guess, and it's good that facebook *can* be relatively private.

If your husband or friends or children made FB posts like that about you (i.e. Jane is driving me crazy today! She never stops ________ing and I'm so sick and tired of it!), would you be okay with it?

Maybe you would, I don't know.

I certainly wouldn't.

Guest submarines

:iagree:

There soon will be a generation of grown up children blogging about their issues with their blogging parents and in-laws. :hurray: Quid pro quo, baby!

How old is your oldest?

My oldest is 11, going on 30. She is fully in the throes of puberty and is pretty sensitive, so I have faith she would tell me if something bothered her. She is very mature for her age.

Is your point that she will surely resent me when she gets older? lol

If your husband or friends or children made FB posts like that about you (i.e. Jane is driving me crazy today! She never stops ________ing and I'm so sick and tired of it!), would you be okay with it?

I certainly wouldn't.

If they posted my name and something specific I was doing, no, I would not be okay with it. However, I also expect them to vent to their friends about me. And there is a difference between screaming, irrational children and an adult who is trying to do the best they can and take care of everyone. If I was a senile elderly person, flinging my poop and screaming at them all day, I wouldn't fault them one bit for venting about it, lol.

There soon will be a generation of grown up children blogging about their issues with their blogging parents and in-laws. :hurray: Quid pro quo, baby!

And we'll, like man, all be up there in the CLOUD, just floating together. . .

Guest submarines

Even if blogs mention only "positive" things, they still put children on a pedestal, and children can't fully understand consequences and implications.

Do children who enjoy reading their parents' blogs about them understand that their photos can be copied by anyone who reads the blog? Do they understand what this means?

What are the implications for one's developing sense of self, when everything one does ends up posted on a public blog?

How would a mommy blogger feel if her husband was blogging about her, even if the posts were positive? How does it feel to be observed and, by implication, judged?

Arghhh, sorry to rant about it. This topic obviously affects me deeply.

I certainly see the value of this type of blog.

But why not do this anonymously? Without the photos and birth dates and names?

You could certainly do this, but sometimes photos help. To see the child actually DOING the activity. Or even just to see the child, and see that he/she is a normal looking child...that you haven't tricked yourself that your sn child looks normal to the outside world. To see that this kid looks happy and relaxed. I don't know, sn parenting is just different. I find myself more anxious, needing more reassurances, with this child than with my two neuro-typical kids. Perhaps because his disability is one that can't be seen, and is, therefore, often questioned by well meaning adults.

Also, not adding the birthdate but the age can be important. My 9 year old is not doing fourth grade work. It has helped me when I've seen that other MERLD kids are working below grade level in some, or all, areas.

I have considered making videos of my son doing some of the lessons with his accommodations. That would have been so helpful, would still be so helpful, to me. That would, though, allow people to see his academic shortcomings and difficulties.

Guest submarines

I certainly wouldn't.

I personally wouldn't even like if DH blogged publicly about positive things. It is an intrusion of privacy. Not only that, but the motives of such blogging are suspect. Why would anyone broadcast personal details???

Guest submarines

My oldest is 11, going on 30. She is fully in the throes of puberty and is pretty sensitive, so I have faith she would tell me if something bothered her. She is very mature for her age.

Is your point that she will surely resent me when she gets older? lol

My point is that it does affect her, and even if she's going on 30, she is not able to fully understand what are the implications. She's a child. Even psychologists today who study this phenomenon are still unsure what the effects will be, but they are sure that there will be noticeable effects. Mainly in the area of boundaries and internalizing the concepts of privacy and over sharing.

But to each their own, of course. :-)

I think there is a right way and a wrong way to go about this though. It's one thing to describe a difficult situation and how you handled it or what was learned from it, for the edification of others, and another thing entirely to whine about your family or mock them in public. It is the latter that I have a problem with, much more so than the former.

That was the purpose of my edit, to add that I wouldn't want to come across as whining about or mocking my sn child. I wouldn't enjoy reading it, either. That said, you have to be very careful with hoe you write about their struggles - you need to be honest, so people don't get an idea that this is an "easy" fix or whatever, and, yet, not sound like you are at your wit's end.

This is actually what I was thinking about in my original reply:

Some of these homeschooling and 'mommy blogs' really disturb me.

I wonder about how these kids will feel about all of this blogging one day. I'm sure my mom was plenty worried and fed up and disappointed while raising me, but I'm glad she didn't write it all out and post it on the world wide web!

Some day the kid can read all that, can't he/she? What about privacy? Or am I missing some technological something -- can everything be deleted? Would it really be gone?

Do correct me if I'm missing something.

I can see blogging about your own personal struggles and shortcomings (although it's not my cup of tea), but I think kids need some privacy as they grow and learn.

Which is why I mentioned my own child's struggles and how reading Luther's blogs has helped me with him.

My point is that it does affect her, and even if she's going on 30, she is not able to fully understand what are the implications. She's a child. Even psychologists today who study this phenomenon are still unsure what the effects will be, but they are sure that there will be noticeable effects. Mainly in the area of boundaries and internalizing the concepts of privacy and over sharing.

But to each their own, of course. :-)

Have you ever read my blog? How can you assume that she will be negatively affected by what I have written? I did not write the article I posted above, btw. :confused1:

Why blog about the bad parts of your day as well as the good? Because I think there's enough things that are all portrayed through "rose colored glasses" in this world. It makes mothers feel bad when they see that their days are not all sunshine and rainbows and then they read a blog after blog about how smart everyone's kids are and how they act like angels and make muffins together every morning. Though I am WAY behind in my blogging, I like to blog about real life. I don't say things like "Man, my kid was a brat today!" But I may post something like "We're dealing with some issues in selfishness from our oldest child. We've been praying about it and we're doing this.... This....and this in hopes that we can encourage a change of heart."

Enough things make mothers feel inferior. Why blog only about the good days when that's not how it is all the time?

I didn't mean for that to sound harsh, and I apologize if it did.

I mean that if you wouldn't share it in front of your kids, over a loudspeaker at a huge, public event, it might be too personal to blog about.

Or, if you wouldn't talk about it in front of your kids while their friends or cousins were there, then it's probably too personal and a violation of their privacy.

I see now, from posts on this thread, that some people have a private blog -- just for family with a password (I assume). That makes a lot more sense than these completely open blogs about children.

Just today I read a few things that just made me cringe. I can't see the mom or kids looking back and being glad such information had been publicly displayed.

It sounds like I'm safe then. I don't post anything like that. I guess I am overly sensitive today because I was taken aback by your first reply to me. Thanks for clarifying. ;)

I have a blog. I only ever post about the school activities we are doing....never ever anything personal.....which I guess is why it hardly gets any views LOL.

I keep it as a record of our homeschooling journey. I never write anything about my DH on there.

I have FB and I limit the amount of people on it....only people I actually talk to in real life. I must have a good group of friends because I can't remember even once when any one posted something even remotely negative about their kids.

The worst things I have ever posted is things like " my poor kids have the stomach flu" or "potty training is not fun" I don't add specifics and I don't think it will scar my kid for life.

I have no idea why people post pictures of their kids potty training and such....are they not worried about who is looking at such pictures.

Mostly my blog is for overseas grandparents. They already know through private messaging issues I have with the kids. No need to share it publicly.