Menu

Is there such a thing as a spelling program that will work for most any kind of learner?

Mommy7

I am teaching 6 dc. I need a spelling program that could work for any of them...I don't want 6 different ones.

What have you used that you feel could work with about anyone?

If you have the answer to this question, I will be your friend for LIFE!!!! :grouphug:

Spelling Plus with Spelling Dictation for up to 6th grade level followed by Natural Speller for upper levels (6th to 8th.)

Older children could also benefit from watching my spelling lessons and younger from my phonics lessons, they teach all the spelling rules but at a slower pace.

I have almost as many spelling programs as I have phonics programs, and those are the things that are the best fit for the largest number of students that I work with.

For 8th grade level and up, I like Stephen Ross's Spelling Made Simple.

For combining multiple subjects and ages, I like Marcia Henry's Words. It combines spelling and word root study. It has things from a 3rd to 8th grade level. It is not as efficient for just spelling as the things mentioned above, but if you want to ditch other word root things in favor of this, it is then a better choice because you can knock out both at once. It is non consumable, you can print out as many worksheets as you want.

I use SWR, which is similar to Spalding. I agree with Ellie that these programs are good for any kind of learner. But the difficulty is that they are teacher intensive. You have to actually dictate the words for your dc to write. It is possible to do some combining, but that will likely still leave you with at least 2 teacher-taught spelling lessons daily, possibly 3. I have a friend with 7 children who uses SWR, and at one point, she was teaching 3 lessons per day at an average of 30 minutes each. She is committed to this program, though, because her oldest was 14yo before she found it and learned to read well. For her, everything came second to spelling, because learning to read is absolutely foundational to all other learning.

Spelling Power. It is one book that's used for all levels. The spelling exercises/activities can be tailored to the individual child. The only con about the program is that there is some time you need to spend beforehand learning about how it works and setting it up. And there are placements tests. Once you get through that though it's easy and quick.

I bought an older used copy of the book and that turned out to be fine. I didn't buy any of the other materials they have available. Although you might like them because then that's one less thing you have to organize.

Of the spelling programs that I've used, I would have to second Spelling Power. The Spalding method always attracted me, but I just never had that much time to devote to spelling in our big family. With spelling power, spellers are placed at level, so it's a fit for natural and *unnatural* spellers. It's very quick -- maybe 5 minutes per day per speller. The speller gets immediate feedback and then goes off to work on the misspelled words. There are lots and lots of activity suggestions for practicing the misspelled words, activities which would appeal to visual or auditory or kinesthetic learners. It was interesting how mine would gravitate to certain activities over and over that really helped them. Then the misspelled word must be spelled correctly for 3 days I think? So there is follow up and reinforcement.

My *only* bone with Spelling Power is that it doesn't introduce any spelling rules. Now I don't want a million rules and their million exceptions, but there are some general rules that spelling students should know and will make a world of difference. You can easily compile a list (i before e, eigh, doubling consonants and the like) and then introduce them as your child needs them.

Hope that helps!

Lisa

What? No shout-outs for Sequential Spelling? I love that program. It is ideal for my dyslexic-tending child and it was just fine for my "natural" speller, too. You can even buy a DVD to take over the dictating-words part.

FWIW, I hated Spelling Power with a fiery purple passion. My poor speller was in tears over a lesson that combined several different formations of the "air" sound. Bear. Fairy. There. Hair. He was SOOOO confused! "How are you supposed to know," he cried. Yeah, I kinda wondered that myself. Plus, that book is so unwieldy with it's "do everything exactly as I say before you start" start-up. Blech. I hated it.

But, uh, YMMV, of course. :tongue_smilie:

I would third (?) Spelling Power. I use it more flexibly than the author intended, I think, but it works for us. The multiple learning styles,etc, come in with the study guide and activities. I have a couple of bones with the program that I regularly sigh over, and it does mean face time with each kid as they use it (a 5 minute test each day per kid), but once you have bought the book (it's non-consummable so you can usually find it used) and understand the set-up (plan on spending several hours for introducing yourself to it), planning is pretty routine and implementation is smooth.

There's the added perk that it includes a section on editing for older kids as well.

HTH!

Mama Anna

We just started All About Spelling and it is working great for both of my kids 8 and 9. One of them is a great speller but doesn't know any rules so he's having a harder time with some of the advanced words in MCT and the other one can't spell words that are literally dangling in front of her face. The good speller is speeding through it and I'm about to buy the 2nd level for him, the other is plugging along. I just plan on working for 15-20 minutes a day and I put a sticky where we stopped for each child.

Alas, NOT Spelling Power here.

Spelling Power has you test lists of words until you accrue enough words to create a spelling test list and then practice those. While there are many ideas for working with words, the focus is on looking at the word, and practice of writing it. There is a rule at the top of each list.

For average speller DS, Spelling Power was a failure due to:

- he felt like a constant test failure

- looking at/writing the words was not the best learning style fit for him for retention

- not enough explanation for vowel patterns, syllabication and consonant patterns

For DS with mild LDs which cause spelling to be a struggle, Spelling Power was also a failure:

- no mnemonics to help visualize/memorize vowel patterns, etc.

- all the writing for the pre-tests and the practice was a killer for a student who struggled with the act of handwriting AND whose learning style is such that he does NOT learn by WRITING

- created lists for him that were completely random to him

- no concentrated focus on specific patterns, syllables, word endings, prefixes, etc.

I have to say that Spelling Workout (workbooks) and How to Teach Any Child to Spell/Tricks of the Trade were both worse failures than Spelling Power for DSs.

Honestly, after going through multiple spelling programs for the first 5 years of homeschooling, I finally settled on creating individualized spelling lists, practice pages, and a lot of whiteboard work for each DS, using word family lists from Natural Speller, and heavily using the explanations for vowel patterns, etc. and the word lists from The ABCs and All Their Tricks (spelling resource book). We also early on used a few word families and a few other ideas from Spel-Lang-Tree. And, to address the issues raised by Quill in her post above, I even did my own variation on the funny sentences to help remember the different spellings for the long vowel sounds on Paula's Archives (now only can be seen on this archive, scroll ALL the way to the bottom for Paula's Spelling Power Rules).

For DS with LDs, we also did Megawords (workbook) and we did some special additional practice methods to help him. Most of those additional practice methods were adapted from the mnemonic methods in Stevenson Blue Spelling Manual; info from Andrew Pudewa's Spelling and the Brain lecture, and his Phonetic Zoo; and Sequential Spelling. We also used some of the worksheets from Mary Pecci's Word Skills workbook (syllables, contractions, word endings).

The closest I've seen to the wide variety of things we did in our individualized spelling is All About Spelling. (which came available years too late for us to try). If you can take the time to go through the Logic of English videos -- maybe even watch WITH your students??? -- that also looks like it teaches YOU how to teach a wide variety of learner types through multiple inputs. Again, it is such a recent resource that it was not there when we were "in the thick" of spelling.)

My heart goes out to you! I can't image trying to make your own for SIX children, yet I'm not sure ANY program will be a guaranteed success for ALL -- hopefully you can find something that will work for 4-5 of them, and then do just ONE other program to fit the 1-2 children who don't fit with all the others.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

I'd recommend All About Spelling. My natural speller flies through the levels. Then I didn't need to buy anything else for my second who is *almost* as natural a speller as the first - with him I use a little more of the review cards, more of the dictation, etc. Then I still don't need to buy anything for DDage5 who is an accelerated reader but needs help spelling - with her I can use the tiles, all the dictation, the whole thing. Then I put it away for DDage3 who is nowhere near ready for spelling instruction yet. But I know it's there waiting for me on the shelf- all nice and organized - lesson by lesson that can be adjusted depending on the child. And I don't have to keep buying consumable workbooks at $10 or so a pop.

• 1 month later...

I so love AAS. I have the first three levels of it. But, it's the not enough of me to go around syndrome again! I am teaching 6 dc. So, while 15 mins. doesn't sound like a lot, it ends up being an hour and a half for me! Therefore, it ends up not getting done because I am too busy with teaching math or whatever...I should probably sell it, but I am having a hard time letting go of it because I think it is truly a great program and so easy to use!

I want to do Latin, lots of writing, literature, etc...so much to do and so little time. But, spelling is important too...it's all important! I find it hard to prioritize sometimes!

PZ is what I was trying because I wanted spelling to be independent. They say they are not learning anything because the rules are too convoluted...so, they want to just copy lists again. I'm not content with that so my compromise is to do their Abeka Spelling level along with Apples.

What do you think of that???

I am open to ideas, that's for sure.

As for Spelling Power, it sounds like it takes about the same amount of time so I might as well do AAS if I was going to do that.

If you are looking for independent, rod and staff is pretty independent except for spelling test but your dc could test each other.

I don't think you will find one book that will be successful with all types of children. Especially that is independent. But if you are open to multiple books, Rod and staff is a good solid program. We all got burned out doing AAS and R&S has been a nice change. My kids like it to boot.

I so love AAS. I have the first three levels of it. But, it's the not enough of me to go around syndrome again! I am teaching 6 dc. So, while 15 mins. doesn't sound like a lot, it ends up being an hour and a half for me! Therefore, it ends up not getting done because I am too busy with teaching math or whatever...I should probably sell it, but I am having a hard time letting go of it because I think it is truly a great program and so easy to use!

I want to do Latin, lots of writing, literature, etc...so much to do and so little time. But, spelling is important too...it's all important! I find it hard to prioritize sometimes!

PZ is what I was trying because I wanted spelling to be independent. They say they are not learning anything because the rules are too convoluted...so, they want to just copy lists again. I'm not content with that so my compromise is to do their Abeka Spelling level along with Apples.

What do you think of that???

I am open to ideas, that's for sure.

As for Spelling Power, it sounds like it takes about the same amount of time so I might as well do AAS if I was going to do that.

Becky, here's my radical suggestion:

1. 20 minutes = Do you have any child with special needs in the spelling area? Then focus your spelling instruction time and efforts there.

2. 15 minutes = Next, do AAS with your 3rd grader. (If the 5th grader still needs spelling instruction, then combine them and do it together -- you should be able to speed it up a bit so that in a few months the 3rd grader would be work a bit above grade level, and the 5th grader would only be working a little below grade level.)

3. 5 minutes (2-3 days a week) = Next, for your 5th, 6th and 7th graders, do an independent workbook; I esp. like Megawords (vowel patterns and syllabication rules) for clarity of rules and independent working, but also consider Apples Daily Spelling for Secondary Students. Megawords only takes 5 minutes of your time once other day or so. Seriously consider having all three on the same book, doing the same exercise, so you only have to explain once and dictate syllables for exercises once. You could even train your 9th grader to be able to dictate the syllables/words for the occasional exercises where that is needed.

4. 5 minutes (2 days a week) = Finally, for the 9th grader, focus on vocabulary rather than spelling; or if the 9th grader really has poor spelling, just pull misspelled words from the student's writing, and new words from the student's reading, spend a few minutes at the start of the week discussing vowel patterns and syllable rules for those words, have the student practice the words independently for the week, and then you test at the end of the week.

Spelling = 40 minutes a day for everyone, and that's assuming you have someone with special needs that you are devoting half of that time to -- otherwise you're looking at less than 30 minutes a day to do spelling for all.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Lori D., you are so kind to take the time to answer my post so thoroughly. What level of Megawords would I use for my 6th, 7th, & 8th grade students (next year)? One reason I hesitated with that program is because they are starting so late in it that I wasn't sure they would get very far in the levels before they hit high school, kwim? I guess I could just continue it during high school. I'm running out of time with my 8th grader and high schooler. I need something that will work. Something I can be consistent with.

Also, if they use "baby words", my dc will not like it. At one point I was using AAS with them, but they so hated the baby words that I finally gave up. I'm referring to how they say it is best to start with Level 1. We never got past Level 2, so I'm not sure what the words are like later in the program.

So, how did you use Megawords? Did you use the TE? Did you teach the concept and then assign pages to them to practice it? If you can explain to me how it works, I would be so grateful! I am so glad to see that it only takes 5 minutes for the teacher's part. That is one reason why I was hesitating also.

I like the looks of Apples. I planned to get it to use with their Abeka workbook. I just so do not like Abeka spelling, though. It just doesn't really teach them anything about spelling. I wanted something with rules, so I was leaning towards Apples. The one good thing is that they would be learning words at the appropriate grade level.

I do have one student that is particularly struggling with spelling. My 7th grade dd. But, she is struggling anyway with a chronic illness. So, I'm not sure if I want to tackle one on one with her with spelling. But, maybe I should.

I like the idea of AAS with my (next year) 4th graders.

My high schooler really wants words on her level, but also to learn some spelling rules. Any ideas about her? I just don't think I would end up pulling the words from her work. It probably just wouldn't happen. Open and go works best for me.

Thanks so much!

Becky

My high schooler really wants words on her level, but also to learn some spelling rules. Any ideas about her? I just don't think I would end up pulling the words from her work. It probably just wouldn't happen. Open and go works best for me.

Thanks so much!

Becky

I like the idea of using AAS mainly with struggling spellers and doing something independent with those that don't struggle but still need some instruction. For your high schooler who is wanting to learn some spelling rules--what would you think of having her tutor one of the younger ones in AAS? She would learn the rules that way and free up some of your time, and you could challenge her to find words in her reading or to think of words throughout the day that are harder and that use the rules she is learning. She might even be able to earn some credit for teaching.

Merry :-)

I used Megawords with my struggling speller from grade 6 on up through grade 12, and it was not a problem, so you can easily use it with your 9th grader, too. For simplicity (and less expense), you could just have everyone in the same book (you do need the teacher book for the lists of syllables/words you dictate for some of the exercises). Or, put the 6th and 7th graders in one book, and the 8th and 9th graders in another book. Or, if you get the assessment book ($23) you can not see where each student is, but it also explains the how to use it.

But pretty much we did what you suggest in your post -- the first day, go over the rules and the list of words. There are usually at least a 100 words, so you can choose which words you want for the test (suggested words for testing are starred). All of the words in the list show up in the practice exercises. There are usually 10-14 pages of practice exercises of various types, plus you would have you student practice the words specifically that you plan to test them on (they could verbally practice out loud with one another, so you are not involved -- also, verbal works better for many students rather than writing out the words, esp. if the student has any writing disabilities or problems).

No, the words are not at all babyish. Megawords is designed for grades 4-5 and up. I'd say the words in books fall approx. in this range:

book 1 words = grade 4-5

book 2-3 words = grade 5-6

books 4-5 words = grade 6-7

books 6-8 words = grade 7-9

Check out the sample pages of the Student Books at Christian Book's website -- only books 4 and 8 have a sample page of the word list for a lesson, but you can get a feel for the types of words used even in the exercise pages.

We went at a very gentle pace (about 1 page a day, 4x/week) and still completed one whole book and about 1/4th of the next book in a regular school year. Quite a few people go faster than we did and so go through more like 1.33 or 1.5 books per year.

Yes, it would be a bit expensive -- because yes, you DO need the teacher book ($11.50) and the student book ($9.50). And each student needs their own book as they are consumable. AND, you really need to get TWO levels per year, since you go through more than one level per year. So even if 4 students were all using the same level of books in the same year, that would be $23 for 2 teacher books and $76 for 2 books each for 4 students... (Fortunately, you can reuse the teacher books.)

I just went back and looked at the table of contents and sample pages of Apples. Here's my comparison:

Apples: Daily Spelling Drill

- 2 books; use 1 per year = 2 years of spelling

- very clear, direct explanations of rules

- rules are phonetically-based (vowel sounds)

- simple, often single-syllable words (from the sample pages, words look mostly at grade 2-6 level)

- 4 pages of practice and exercises per lesson/rule

Megawords

- 8 books; use more than 1 per year = approx. 6 years of spelling

- rule explanations not quite as clear/simple

- rules are both phonetical (vowel sounds) and syllabication (how to break words into smaller "bites" for easier spelling attack)

- words increase in difficultly (majority are multi-syllable); start at a grade 4/5 level, go up to high school level words

- 10-14 pages of practice and exercises per lesson/rule

Apples looks to be a bit simplistic, BUT, the rule explanations are very clear and simple; that could be a good fit for grade 5 to grade 7 student. (Perhaps consider starting with Apples with your struggling student, and then switch over to Megawords once Apples is completed?)

Megawords goes more in-depth, uses words of a higher grade level, and includes more practice of working with words and syllables, and will "grow" with the student (as the later books have harder words and cover the more difficult rules). Megawords could be a good fit for the grade 5 to grade 9 or 10 student (or even older, if the student needs remedial work). Check out the sample pages of Megawords at Christian book.

Megawords Assessment ($23)

General topic of each Megawords book:

1 = syllable division

2 = common prefixes and suffixes

3 = schwa sound

4 = advanced suffixes

5 = vowel variations

6 = consonant variations

7 = unaccented vowels

8 = assimilated prefixes

Specific types of word lists in the first several books:

Megawords 1

- compound words

- closed syllables

- closed syllables and silent-e

- closed syllables and "r"

- vowel / consonant-vowel syllabication rule

- vowel-consonant / vowel rule

- consonant + LE syllabication rule

- vowel / vowel syllabication rule

Megawords 2

- consonant suffixes and plurals

- vowel suffixes and spelling rules

- three sounds of "-ED"

- spelling patterns -- vowel suffixes

- common prefixes

Megawords 3

-AL and -IC endings

-IT, -ITE, -ET, and -ATE endings

- middle-syllable schwa

-ANT, -ANCE, -ENT, and -ENCE endings

-iIVE, -ICE, -ACE, -INE, and -AIN endings

Megawords 4

-ER, -OR, -AR, -ARD, and -WARD

-TION

-SION and -CIAN

-OUS and -AGE

-TURE, -TU, and -SURE

-ABLE, -IBLE, and consonant+LE

Well, you could go the route I did and ditch all spelling programs. I printed off the list of the 6,000 most common words. Then we have a "spelling bee" all together (not the 6 yr. old). If they get a word wrong they write it on the board. I have them close their eyes and spell it again. On the list I put their initial next to that word and they are asked to spell it again the next time. It is fun like a game, we only do it twice a week and it doesn't take a lot of time. Adding the game element seems to really help retention.