Menu

If you (and your kids) were burned out and your homeschool was "coding"...

What would you do? Would you do something radical like become a hard-core (gasp!) unschooler for a short period of time? o.O Would you switch curriculum...or DITCH curriculum? Part of this is the last remnants of the winter "blahs". I know. Spring is already here, but apparently mother nature didn't get the memo. :/ I know with warmer weather there will be renewed motivation, but....I just can't put my finger on it. Something is "missing" in our homeschool. Fun? Excitement? A real desire to learn? I mean, I get it. I have teenagers. They're really not excited about anything except friends, playing guitar and sleeping. ;) But even my little ones have lost that certain "spark". I need to do some serious CPR on my homeschool before my children (and I) "expire". Any thoughts? Suggestions? Adivce? Commiseration? Thanks. :)

I'm getting ready to start about everything NEW... but some of it isn't ditching, but adding. We had been in a holding pattern....

So maybe picked up some sort of fun science experiment book at the library and do some projects? Get the olders to help you pick them out and help teach the youngers. Get messy, have fun? Let each child pick a topic they want to teach the others about that includes a project/experiment?

My kids are excited about the boxes that have arrived this week, and we have a new workspace to use. I think my "mommy stress" over a few things is melting!!!

:grouphug:

I would take a week or two or three completely off and reevaluate the curriculum, my attitude and overall life and look at any kid/parenting issues that might need addressing that have been overlooked. I have been (and am) incredibly busy during homeschooling, including working full time (and now, part time), but I have not completely hit a wall and felt like I could not go on one more day and needed to put them all in school stat. School is not an option for many reasons, so that probably helps. I have had days when I just put away the books and resolved to try again but weeks or months. If I did, I would do the above and become open minded to changing radically in whatever way that might be. I would also talk to other people about what works for them.

We have 6 more weeks of co-op. I was thinking about ditching ALL subjects except those we do for co-op. Do some fun math puzzles, plant our garden, find some new recipes to try out, pick a new read aloud that is fun, check out the new science "experiment packs" that our library just got in, go on a hike, do some nature study, etc. But what about my high school kids? My evaluator is very laid back (an unschooler herself) but our school district is getting cranky (and very particular) toward homeschoolers. I've been reading The Writer's Jungle and would like to just focus a bit more on developing a love for writing, start a family newspaper/letter, etc. Fun stuff. Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else? :)

We have 6 more weeks of co-op. I was thinking about ditching ALL subjects except those we do for co-op. Do some fun math puzzles, plant our garden, find some new recipes to try out, pick a new read aloud that is fun, check out the new science "experiment packs" that our library just got in, go on a hike, do some nature study, etc. But what about my high school kids? My evaluator is very laid back (an unschooler herself) but our school district is getting cranky (and very particular) toward homeschoolers. I've been reading The Writer's Jungle and would like to just focus a bit more on developing a love for writing, start a family newspaper/letter, etc. Fun stuff. Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else? :)

here in ps, high school, they block scheduling. they only do algebra for the fist half of the year, for example.

even in college they dont always do every subject all year long.

so say you are doing that.

Being monitored by a school district puts a whole new kink in the line for sure--and changes what I was thinking. Instead of stopping altogether for a season (my original thought) can you cut back to bare minimums while you take time to reevaluate? I wish there were universal shock paddles we could all use to revive our educational experiences, but sometimes stepping back is the only remedy.

What time is everyone going to bed? How late are the TV, computers and video games on? Are the children consuming caffeine, and if so, are you limiting it in the PM? Are the children required to drink water?

Sleep deprivation and dehydration make concentration impossible. End of story. There is no fix other than more sleep and more water, when these are the main problems.

It has become American culture to be sleep deprived and dehydrated. Centuries from now, there might be books about the fall of the United States of America being caused by sleep deprivation and dehydration.

I'm an OCD-kind of person, so in our house, I put everything away for a season. That season might be only a couple of weeks, or it might be longer. Once it was, oh, about six months, lol.

Here too. Every few months I pack it ALL up...and give the kids notebooks, pencils and we get out the old' library card. We do not watch tv or play computer games....but spend productive time reading, writing, going on short day trips, nature walks, gardening, building, painting, making a dress or another sewing type craft....IOW, we are still learning, but not following a curriculum or lesson plan.

During that time, I will read to them for hours, let them play Legos for days on end, swim, ride bikes etc. When that season gets old, we pull out the books and either start a new years work, or pick up where we left off depending on the kid, time of year and subject. I have found the so called " off" seasons have reaped a generous harvest...and the kids are usually ahead of where we left off. The trick is NOT to leave them to their own devices too much, but to be in the present and part of their discovery.....ansWer questions, ask questions, look for answers.....look for truths in nature, art and music. Enjoy each others company....get to know one another as friends and confidants....

HTH

Faithe

Well, I can say for sure that my 11yo is NOT getting enough sleep, adequate nutrition or hydration. :/ It's not that we neglect him, quite the contrary. I practically have to force feed/hydrate him. He sees a chiro/naturopath now and we are making some very slow progress in this area. Very slow. My other children get enough sleep and eat well and drink water throughout the day. Sure, there are nights they might not get to sleep right away (we do not keep caffeinated drinks/food in the house) or there might be times they don't get enough sleep...but this is the exception, not the rule. I'm going to message my evaluator for some ideas for my high schoolers. Thanks!

Job shadow and career research, nutrition, health, family and consumer sciences kinds of project. Online classes in web design/programming.

All your ideas sound great. :thumbup1:

Do you school year 'round, Sue? I'm sorry, I've forgotten.

I will say that my dd's school is gearing up for SOL testing in May. We are pulling her May 31st and leaving the next week for Jerusalem. She'll miss about 3 weeks of school. Know what? Her school counselor said no problem about that--it's not enough absence to disenroll her for next year, and "everyone" knows they don't do much that is productive in June (they go til June 21 this year). SO--my point is, go a few more weeks, perhaps gradually cutting back (i.e., find a good stopping place you can reach in the next 4-6 weeks). Maybe having the summer to look forward to is enough. If you gradually put into place what you want to do in the summer, it will get them fired up again. Maybe.