Menu

s/o wedding presents

I know my mil threw a shower for me, but I don't recall what her gift was. I'm quite sure I wasn't given a wedding gift specifically for me, and my parents didn't give a gift specifically for dh. Both our families contributed toward the wedding as their gift.

I know my mil threw a shower for me, but I don't recall what her gift was. I'm quite sure I wasn't given a wedding gift specifically for me, and my parents didn't give a gift specifically for dh. Both our families contributed toward the wedding as their gift.

Well I sort of didn't mean me individually their wedding present to both Dh and I was a photo of their house.

A Kitchen-Aid Artisan stand mixer, a set of J.A. Henckels knives, $1500, a set of tupperware containers, two books, and a letter telling us how much they loved us, how much they loved me, how much they wished us well, and some well-intentioned marriage advice.

I think we got $1000, which we used for a china cabinet.

ETA: They paid for the rehearsal dinner as well, although my mom and her friends handled the decorations.

My parents paid for our really nice wedding dinner -- pretty much everything, except the wine and champagne that we supplied.

They also gave us two handmade oriental rugs from their house.

They helped pay for the photographer and they threw the rehearsal dinner, by which I mean they rented a hall, set it up, decorated it, and made all the food themselves for a huge appetizer buffet and invited not just the wedding party, but close friends and family members since just about everybody traveled to be there.

I don't recall getting a wedding gift from FIL and MIL, but they did not have much money and had to travel to another state for the wedding. DH's grandmother contributed $1000, which we used to pay for the wedding dinner. His three sisters collaborated to give us a really thoughtful gift, about $50 in British currency as we were headed to London on our honeymoon. Being a young and busy bride I don't think I offered appropriate appreciation at the time, although DH did write a thank you. I'd take a do over on that if I could.

My FIL pressed a huge wad of cash into our hands right after we eloped. It was over $1000- apparently what he'd brought home from gambling the night before. When we had our wedding party, he mailed us a check for quite a bit more.

My MIL and her husband gave us a hotel gift certificate, a check and something else that is escaping me.

My dad bought us a kitchenaid mixer.

My mother gave us a photo album with family pictures in it and a frame for our wedding photo.

While these gifts go from biggest to smallest, my mother's small gift was what meant the most and my FILs large gift was more about him making a big show than about us. We used his money and other cash wedding gifts primarily to seed our retirement accounts.

I honestly have no idea! She hated me, but she willingly paid for the rehearsal dinner at one of the best restaurants in town. I acted like a spoiled brat because I didn't particularly like her, and I was young, so I'm really surprised she spent as much money as she did. I'm sure she bought us something expensive, that's just how she rolls :/.

DH's mom gave us $3000 ahead of time to help offset the cost of the wedding and to pay for the alcohol. She co-hosted a wedding shower with DH's stepmom. I can't remember if/what she gave at the showers, but I'm sure it was something. For our wedding she gave us an antique crystal frame that had been in their family for awhile to put our wedding portrait in. It wasn't quite my style at the time, but several years later I ended up putting our portrait in it and it's now in our bedroom. I love it now.

DH's dad/stepmom paid for the rehearsal dinner and gave us our wonderful Kitchenaid mixer as well as several attachments. DH is the one who really wanted this, I was meh b/c my mom never had one, we mixed everything by hand. WOW, I use this thing almost every day, so happy DH registered for it!

I'm not sure what my mil gave us. I know that she paid for some things for the wedding, but I don't think she used her own money. (Complicated!)

I do remember that she sat in the church parlor (we used it as a dressing room) and cried and cried that the wedding was happening! It was a well planned event, but apparently showing her great displeasure was most effective on that day!

My parents paid for a lavish wedding and helped with furnishing our house and various other things. My other set of in-laws (dh's parents are divorced) gave us something-I can't remember, but they were incredibly supportive and kind!

I honestly have no idea! She hated me, but she willingly paid for the rehearsal dinner at one of the best restaurants in town. I acted like a spoiled brat because I didn't particularly like her, and I was young, so I'm really surprised she spent as much money as she did. I'm sure she bought us something expensive, that's just how she rolls :/.

We got married when I was barely 21 and I still cringe to think about the things I said and the way I acted those first few years. I am surprised they still talk to me! Nothing major, just young, arrogant stuff. They are very patient. Dh was the last of six kids to get married, so I guess they had BTDT.

It was so long ago, I can't remember! My husband is from a large family (9), and they were a HUGE help in the wedding process. My MIL is an artist, and she made all of the invitations. They held a beautiful dinner on their front porch the night before the wedding. They did all sorts of other little personal touches. They probably gave us cash too, but I think their physical support was certainly a gift in itself.

MIL and FIL were divoriced and remarried. MIL gave us a card table and chairs (for our tiny apartment), the lace for my wedding dress and shared the cost of the family dinner after the wedding with FIL. FIL also gave us our honeymoon-- 3-4 weeks anywhere in the world all expenses paid :hurray: We chose Europe and visited France, Switzerland, Austria and Germany --then we came home and found out our summer jobs had fallen through because the oil bust happened when we were gone and had to move in with MIL until I could find a job and make enough money for the deposit on an apartment.

I knew my family as not 'rich'--but I never realized we had been poor (only financially) until I met DH and his families!

At least I was prepared to live the next 3 years as 'starving married students'-- DH would never have had a clue how to survive!

My MIL organized the wedding. I was only specific about the colors and the cake. The rest was whatever she wanted. I was working some really strange hours back then.

FIL and his wife did the rehearsal dinner. It was absolutely gorgeous. They took a lot of time and expense.

I didn't want or expect anything else.

What I remember most is her wearing a lacy white dress, which at the time irritated me greatly.

My sister did that. She was only 18, and she didn't know that only the bride wears a white, lacy, floor-length dress to a wedding with her hair styled in a dramatic up-do. Apparently, my parents and step-sister didn't think there was a problem. :confused1: I was ticked, but I didn't say anything. What, she's going to drive 500 miles home to get her blue dress instead? LOL! Every time I look at the wedding photo album, I wonder what on earth happened.

What present did your in laws give you for your wedding?

Mine gave me a framed photo of their house

I have to ask -- why a photo of their house? Were they in the photo somewhere? Is it implied/understood that you two will inherit the house someday? Is it a treasured family property? Did your DH (their son) have something to do with how the house and/or yard looks in the picture?

Why a photo of their house?

Mil hosted my bridal shower and when we got our own place few months later, she got us matching bathroom stuff :) I'm sure there was more but don't remember. My parents paid for half my dress, most of the food and the hall deposit, and I'm sure a few smaller things. I grew up really poor but my parents did what they could. My mom made most of the food (she didn't do the cake), which I'm sure was much better then anything catered :)

My husband's grandmother gave me my first piece of family heirloom jewelry. She included a handwritten note explaining why she had selected the particular piece. She also wrote how much they loved him and that she could see how happy and in love he was. She was a wonderful woman and I came to love her dearly.

My MIL gave us a complete set of china with place settings for twelve. She also informed her son that it was the appropriate time to pack up the china he and his first wife had been given so that it would be there to pass on to their son's wife someday. At the time I remember being a bit overwhelmed by the gift (and this was exacerbated by some of the context of just being overwhelmed with his family in general at times). I do think she was trying to be generous and supportive. I've come to love her dearly as well but it took us awhile to get there.

What present did your in laws give you for your wedding?

Mine gave me a framed photo of their house

I told my dh about this "gift" last night and his response was, "Myabe they plan to bequeath them the house." I found it somewhat amusing how different a man and a woman look at things.

I have to ask -- why a photo of their house? Were they in the photo somewhere? Is it implied/understood that you two will inherit the house someday? Is it a treasured family property? Did your DH (their son) have something to do with how the house and/or yard looks in the picture?

Why a photo of their house?

they were not in the photo.

What I think they were trying to do was make DH feel homesick. they live in a different country (Canada). I think they were hoping to make DH so homesick that he would shift home (didn't work :tongue_smilie: )

My MIL was a quilter and gave us a gorgeous quilt for a wedding gift. She passed away 4 years after we were married, so it is something I will always treasure. She gave us another quilt for our 1st anniversary, so I have 2 I can hand down to my daughters.

they were not in the photo.

What I think they were trying to do was make DH feel homesick. they live in a different country (Canada). I think they were hoping to make DH so homesick that he would shift home (didn't work :tongue_smilie: )

LOL!

So they figured he was more attached to the house than he was to them? Oh, dear!

(Just being silly. I know they probably weren't thinking this, but that's one way it can be taken.)

:D