Menu

? about dyslexia, need some help

So, I am thinking my dd may have dyslexia. One question I have is who is the person that tests and dx this? Is it neuropsych? It is a psych? Is it a SLP? She initially had VT - clearly had vision problems. She STILL has vision problems. They are not 100% better. In fact I am deciding about possibly doing a second opinion for her vision. BUT, she also some vestibular problems, and I have learned that if kids have weak vestibular systems, all the VT in the world isn't going get better. So, back to dyslexia.

Here is why I am thinking this:

1) continued reversals, all the time (with numbers and letters)

2) huge reading fatigue

3) memorizes words, still doesn't hardly ever sound them out

4) struggle with math concepts/number sense

5) reading some sentences right to left

6) writing is beyond difficult. maybe one sentence a day

7) still difficulty with left and right

There is more, but that is some. She does well listening to read alouds, decent comprehension. I slow down a lot for her, she looks at my lips, I stop frequently and discuss vocab and ask questions.

Any advice is always welcome with me. Thanks again. :) She really wants to learn now, she wants to read now, I just need to keep figuring out how to best get her there.

Wouldn't I want to get the official dx if she has it so she can someday get accommodations for tests?

Thanks.

I agree with Heathermonster - I'd see an OT about the vestibular issues. Looking at your list, it seems most of them could be attributable to a combination of the vestibular issues and the remaining vision issues. I'd probably get a neuropsych eval, but I'd first see OT about the vestibular issues and then afterward get that second vision opinion to see if more vision ends can be wrapped up before getting the neuropsych testing.

The eyes have a direct connection to the Vestibular system, which the eyes use as their primary guidance system.

Which is termed as the: vestibulo-ocular reflex (VOR).

The Vestibular system is simply a curved tube in each ear, with some fluid in it.

It works on same principle, that if you tilt a glass from side to side, the fluid in the glass will always remain facing straight up.

So that eyes use this fluid, to keep track of where precisely above and below are.

So that it can ignore the angle of the head and what are seeing, and just use the vestibular system as a reliable terms of reference.

Which is virtually an instant process and is continually updated.

But when this isn't functioning properly, the eyes are continually looking around, for where to go to next?

So perhaps you can appreciate the fatigue that this would cause with reading, as she looks around for the next word?

The eyes have a direct connection to the Vestibular system, which the eyes use as their primary guidance system.

Which is termed as the: vestibulo-ocular reflex (VOR).

The Vestibular system is simply a curved tube in each ear, with some fluid in it.

It works on same principle, that if you tilt a glass from side to side, the fluid in the glass will always remain facing straight up.

So that eyes use this fluid, to keep track of where precisely above and below are.

So that it can ignore the angle of the head and what are seeing, and just use the vestibular system as a reliable terms of reference.

Which is virtually an instant process and is continually updated.

But when this isn't functioning properly, the eyes are continually looking around, for where to go to next?

So perhaps you can appreciate the fatigue that this would cause with reading, as she looks around for the next word?

Thanks so much this explanation. I am a physical therapist myself, but do not do any vestibular work, at all. This particular kiddo has been with OT since last summer and is making progress. I know I need to patient, and am. I just don't want to miss doing something that I can be doing. KWIM?

Thanks again.