Menu

HEAV's Homeschool Convention in Richmond

This is only my second year truly homeschooling and I've never been to a convention. As I'm trying to see if we can afford it I thought I'd ask all of you if you think its worth it. Has anyone been to this convention? I love homeschooling but the past two years have been a little difficult. This year it was juggling a new baby who apparently doesn't need sleep. That really messed me up. I feel like a need encouragement, ideas, help, you name it. Thoughts anyone?

I'm in VA. At the moment the plan is to go. It will be my 19th one I think.

I do enjoy going and have always come home recharged for the following year. I love talking to people and seeing old friends.

If I go I usually work the Information and Security booth on Thursday afternoons and sometimes I'm hanging out there other times too.

They will be running a special for HEAV members for $59 for the weekend for 3 days when they open registration. They also have scholarship money if you really can't afford it.

It has also been nice to look at curriculum up close and personal. and buying things in the Used curriculum fair has been a great help.

What area of VA are you in?

Wow! You're an expert on it then. ;-) That's awesome. It looks like it would be helpful. I can't decide if I want to join HEAV or not. If we have extra money I like supporting it. If we don't and I'm joining for the discount then I end up paying $95 instead $79. :-/ I'm in Manassas. Thanks for the help!

Wow! You're an expert on it then. ;-) That's awesome. It looks like it would be helpful. I can't decide if I want to join HEAV or not. If we have extra money I like supporting it. If we don't and I'm joining for the discount then I end up paying $95 instead $79. :-/ I'm in Manassas. Thanks for the help!

We were blessed about 12 years ago to be able to get a life time membership, with it came with free convention passes. So I have never had to think about it. Which has been a blessing to us several times.

Will you just drive down or stay in Richmond? My son just moved there so I'll stay with him I think. But I have found some friends to share the hotel cost before. And we have at times taken the whole family.

I usually like to go to this conference because of their huge exhibit hall and used curriculum sale. I am hesitating this year, though because the Duggars are going to be there. I think bringing in "celebrities" like this is going to turn it into a mob scene.

I usually like to go to this conference because of their huge exhibit hall and used curriculum sale. I am hesitating this year, though because the Duggars are going to be there. I think bringing in "celebrities" like this is going to turn it into a mob scene.

They are only going to be there one day though so I think that will help with things. And you have to have a ticket to get in to see them and not everyone will get the ticket to see them.

They are only going to be there one day though so I think that will help with things. And you have to have a ticket to get in to see them and not everyone will get the ticket to see them.

True, but when I spoke to someone on the phone at HEAV and expressed my concerns, they said that it was a big concern for them as well. Something is up because they normally hold registration in February and they still haven't opened it.

I may still go, but I'm really hesitant to pay for a hotel and their increased admission price and then have the whole thing be a circus.

This is usually my favorite convention, though, and something I really look forward to the years I am able to go. My husband likes to go with me and it's one of the few times we ever get away alone.

I went last year as a mom of a preschooler so I got in free and I liked it enough I am going back this year. I wish I hadn't squandered my 1free admission though because due to an unforeseen childcare issue I only went 1day. Parking was also a beast. I drove around for over an hour and every lot was full the second day so I missed the keynote that I really wanted to see and gave up and went home so really I I was only there a few hours and only saw the exhibit hall. I'm from Richmond and have even considered getting a hotel within walking distance because I hate driving downtown!

True, but when I spoke to someone on the phone at HEAV and expressed my concerns, they said that it was a big concern for them as well. Something is up because they normally hold registration in February and they still haven't opened it.

I may still go, but I'm really hesitant to pay for a hotel and their increased admission price and then have the whole thing be a circus.

This is usually my favorite convention, though, and something I really look forward to the years I am able to go. My husband likes to go with me and it's one of the few times we ever get away alone.

I have seen they said they were having trouble with computer issues and other things going on with the people trying to get it opened. I think they said one family had a house issue, like a flood, i don't remember it was on the FB page.

it could be. I'm sure there will be a crowd. OH boy fun fun, I volunteer for the security people, usually working the information booth in the main building. We shall see.

I went last year as a mom of a preschooler so I got in free and I liked it enough I am going back this year. I wish I hadn't squandered my 1free admission though because due to an unforeseen childcare issue I only went 1day. Parking was also a beast. I drove around for over an hour and every lot was full the second day so I missed the keynote that I really wanted to see and gave up and went home so really I I was only there a few hours and only saw the exhibit hall. I'm from Richmond and have even considered getting a hotel within walking distance because I hate driving downtown!

yes you need to plan to be there early. I have only missed once being able to park in the convention center parking. I'll probably be staying with my son. Maybe I'll just get him to drop me off. Although I usually take a cooler with lunch in the van and sit outside during lunch time.

If you are from there Just look up some parking places there are several around there but yeah this year will be bad on Friday, I think that is the Dugger day.

Friday is always bad because it is a regular work day for people.

Yeah, last year I think there was also another event going on nearby because there were several lots that had spaces that I pulled into and then was told if I was going to the convention I couldn't park there because they were reserved for another event. I may have someone take me and drop me off though, that's a good idea.

I like the HEAV convention. I have gone for many years just to shop. I often drove up twice to just shop LOL!!! Last year I drove back and forth every day to hear the speakers. I wish I had been going to hear them before, b/c it was truly awesome. This year I am getting a hotel and doing it all, no worries about parking! It's a chunk of money but I was renewed in my choice to homeschool, and you meet so many wonderful people. For me, it's worth the cost. :-)

My plan is to shop at the used curriculum sale while everyone else is listening to the Duggars. :coolgleamA: I look forward to the convention all year long. I have listened to some of the best and most helpful lectures I have ever heard which I daily apply. My dh stays home to watch the kids, and I consider the convention my business trip of the year.

I have gone to the HEAV convention for the last two years - just to shop! My kids have learning issues and being able to really look closely at books and such is a HUGE help. The used resources sale is fantastic and cheap enough that I let my dd shop, too.

I have in the past just made a day trip from Northern Va. However, there is actually a speaker that I'm interested in this year so maybe I will get a regular ticket. It's not the Duggars. =)

Sandra

I personally like to attend a convention every year to hear the speakers and shop the vendor hall. Getting my batteries recharged at a convention every year is one of the reasons I am still homeschooling after 11 years. I have been to the HEAV convention twice. Your used curriculum sale is awesome. That alone makes it worthwhile to attend.

Now that we have the Midwest Homeschool convention in Cincinnati, I don't drive to HEAV anymore. (I live in Ohio.) Last year the Duggars spoke at our convention. To say it was a zoo is an understatement. Because there were no assigned seats, people lined up hours ahead of time That line snaked through several levels of the convention center, making it difficult to navigate the already crowded hallways. I had never seen a line that long in my life. I was sitting in a session with the lovely Susan Wise Bauer, who was attempting to give her talk, but kept being interrupted by announcements over the loud speaker that said things like "no sitting in line" and "you will not be allowed to save seats". (Susan, thank you once again for being willing to come back to Cincinnati next year. Between the Duggars and the kid with the purple balloon, I thought we'd lost you forever.) My friends and I had tickets to see the Duggars, but after we saw the mad house that was unfolding, we decided to leave and grab dinner at a nice quiet restaurant instead.

So, to the OP, I personally recommend attending a convention as often as you can swing it, but you might want to rethink HEAV this year - or at least go in knowing that it may be extra crowded due to the Duggars and plan accordingly. Hopefully HEAV will manage their appearance better than the Midwest convention did.

(Susan, thank you once again for being willing to come back to Cincinnati next year. Between the Duggars and the kid with the purple balloon, I thought we'd lost you forever.)

You are welcome!

I needed this year off to recuperate (and rework all my presentations, for the better I hope), but I'm looking forward to Cincinnati next year.

Although the GHC conventions have had their difficulties, I appreciate their willingness to host a variety of speakers. I used to speak at HEAV regularly, but a year ago I was told that I would not be invited back (ever, so far as I can tell) because my workshops are "not turning people to the Lord for solutions; there seems to be less dependence on the Lord and more on counseling and psychology." Apparently the HEAV committee also felt that my workshops "put aside character development in favor of educational attainment." So apparently I will not be at HEAV again.

For many years, HEAV was my home convention, and it distresses me that they have chosen to restrict their speakers in this way.

SWB

If folks are heading to HEAV, make sure you check out my sil's talks: Kathy Kuhl! SOME DAY I'm going to be able to be there!

I heard one of her talks at HEAV last year and I loved it! Bought books and recordings of a talk I had missed, after being so impressed with her as a speaker.

As others have said, going just to shop is a fantastic opportunity. I appreciate being able to look through books, ask questions directly of vendors, and walk away from the weekend feeling somewhat prepared for the upcoming year. Nice to be able to get so much done in a relatively short amount of time. The vendor hall is huge! Also, although I don't agree with the distinct bent of more and more of HEAV's speakers, every year I have attended at least 2 sessions that were helpful to me. Oh, and I should say that this will be the 4th year I've attended the convention.

Enjoy your time there!!

Honestly, I am worried about the crowds this year. I have no intention of seeing the Duggers and I assume they will be in the large room across the street from the vendor hall. So that may help the crowds.

And it's sad HEAV has gotten so narrow in their speaker choices. Variety will bring more people. I have heard SWB at HEAV and the old N VA conference. Her mom too. Wonderful talks and I so hope to see her again.

But my goal this year is to avoid the masses seeing the Duggers.

As for the VAhomeschoolers conference it's smaller. Usually speakers you don't normally see/unique. But the vendor thing is tiny.

You are welcome!

I needed this year off to recuperate (and rework all my presentations, for the better I hope), but I'm looking forward to Cincinnati next year.

Although the GHC conventions have had their difficulties, I appreciate their willingness to host a variety of speakers. I used to speak at HEAV regularly, but a year ago I was told that I would not be invited back (ever, so far as I can tell) because my workshops are "not turning people to the Lord for solutions; there seems to be less dependence on the Lord and more on counseling and psychology." Apparently the HEAV committee also felt that my workshops "put aside character development in favor of educational attainment." So apparently I will not be at HEAV again.

For many years, HEAV was my home convention, and it distresses me that they have chosen to restrict their speakers in this way.

SWB

I do wish that you were speaking at HEAV still. The last three years I've driven from Virginia to Ohio for the Midwest convention. It was a lot harder to pick out good workshops to fill my day without having yours on the list. (And I relistened to one of Peter E's while vacuuming a couple weeks ago and was reminded how great he was too. So thanks for dragging him along a couple years ago.)

This is only my second year truly homeschooling and I've never been to a convention. As I'm trying to see if we can afford it I thought I'd ask all of you if you think its worth it. Has anyone been to this convention? I love homeschooling but the past two years have been a little difficult. This year it was juggling a new baby who apparently doesn't need sleep. That really messed me up. I feel like a need encouragement, ideas, help, you name it. Thoughts anyone?

I haven't been to HEAV in over a decade. But I have often found conventions to be refreshing. Not always for the wonderful inspirational speakers. Sometimes just to be reminded of what my goals are (sometimes as I walk past booth after booth that reminds me of what my goals are not). Sometimes because of a funny skit that shows me the things that wear me out are not unique to my family. Sometimes for a fantastic idea that gives me a new focus. Sometimes because I have a chance to handle curriculum and know that it wouldn't be a good fit (getting past the idea that some other curriculum would bring deep educational value, peaceful easy to live with kids and the smell of fresh baked bread is sometimes just a matter of really looking through a book and seeing that a) it's not a good fit for me or my kids or B) realizing that it's not really an improvement on what we're already doing. Sometimes learning just takes time and work.)

I've been to HEAV a couple of times, small local homeschool book fairs, the state convention in Hawaii, the giant Midwest Homeschool Convention and tiny show and tell days in a party room hosted by a little coop. I've always been happy on some level that I did.

You are welcome!

SWB

I was also glad to hear that you will be at Cincinnati next year.

Thank you for continuing to offer the advice and suggestions you believe in, rather than those that a small group would prefer you share.

This is one of the reasons that I haven't been to HEAV in years (that and a little thing called money). I can't justify spending that much when the leading speakers are ones that I have fundamental disagreement with. And of course the speakers are now mostly "lifestyle" speakers anyway, and I'm not at the point where I really need that after over a decade. Give me teaching and academic guidance, please?

I'm not free at the time that the VA Homeschoolers conference usually happens.

The IHM Catholic Conference in Virginia is free and small, but I've gotten a few gems there in both the sessions and curriculum fair.

You are welcome!

SWB

The only reason my friend and I drove 8 hours to the HEAV convention in the first place was to hear you speak. And then the Deans started the Cincinnati convention, and you came to us, so we didn't go back. :-)

It is very disappointing to hear that there isn't a place for sessions on educational attainment at a homeschool convention. When did seeking academic excellence become a bad thing? And why do they feel that precludes character development?

It is very disappointing to hear that there isn't a place for sessions on educational attainment at a homeschool convention. When did seeking academic excellence become a bad thing? And why do they feel that precludes character development?

Because so many homeschool conventions have become less and less about academic excellence (or even homeschooling) and more and more about pushing a particular social/religious (and, IMHO, political) belief system. Character development is something that can only be properly addressed through Biblical means, overtly referred to and constantly promoted by said speakers, at least in the mind of conference sponsors.

Which is why I haven't attended a homeschool convention in over three years. And probably won't, although an appearance by SWB would probably get me to cross that line....unfortunately, I'm not close to the Midwest.

Although I wish I knew when SWB referred to "counseling and psychology"...WTH? Musta missed that one.

You are welcome!

SWB

Wow. Now I'm glad we decided not to go to HEAV this year (also partly because of the Duggars).

I'm so glad you are going to the VaHomeschoolers conference though! I went for the first time this year and it was a breath of fresh air. The whole conference actually revolved around education!

I personally like to attend a convention every year to hear the speakers and shop the vendor hall. Getting my batteries recharged at a convention every year is one of the reasons I am still homeschooling after 11 years. I have been to the HEAV convention twice. Your used curriculum sale is awesome. That alone makes it worthwhile to attend.

Now that we have the Midwest Homeschool convention in Cincinnati, I don't drive to HEAV anymore. (I live in Ohio.) Last year the Duggars spoke at our convention. To say it was a zoo is an understatement. Because there were no assigned seats, people lined up hours ahead of time That line snaked through several levels of the convention center, making it difficult to navigate the already crowded hallways. I had never seen a line that long in my life. I was sitting in a session with the lovely Susan Wise Bauer, who was attempting to give her talk, but kept being interrupted by announcements over the loud speaker that said things like "no sitting in line" and "you will not be allowed to save seats". (Susan, thank you once again for being willing to come back to Cincinnati next year. Between the Duggars and the kid with the purple balloon, I thought we'd lost you forever.) My friends and I had tickets to see the Duggars, but after we saw the mad house that was unfolding, we decided to leave and grab dinner at a nice quiet restaurant instead.

So, to the OP, I personally recommend attending a convention as often as you can swing it, but you might want to rethink HEAV this year - or at least go in knowing that it may be extra crowded due to the Duggars and plan accordingly. Hopefully HEAV will manage their appearance better than the Midwest convention did.

Well, that decides it for me. What a shame!

Wow. Now I'm glad we decided not to go to HEAV this year (also partly because of the Duggars).

I'm so glad you are going to the VaHomeschoolers conference though! I went for the first time this year and it was a breath of fresh air. The whole conference actually revolved around education!

I'll definitely have to try that next year. Sounds wonderful. Do they have a large exhibit hall?

I'll definitely have to try that next year. Sounds wonderful. Do they have a large exhibit hall?

Nope, not at all. But, it's growing. The sessions are wonderful and it is very much a family atmosphere. We did some events Friday night and by Saturday at lunch, my kids were sitting with their "friends."

Go shopping at HEAV. Learn at VaHomeschoolers. ;)

I was also glad to hear that you will be at Cincinnati next year.

Thank you for continuing to offer the advice and suggestions you believe in, rather than those that a small group would prefer you share.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I didn't know you were headed back to Cincinnati, Susan. I was considering going this year, but there wasn't quite enough incentive. Hearing you again will definitely make it worth the time and travel in 2014.

You are welcome!

SWB

I try to go every year, at least for the shopping. The vendor hall is so helpful for getting to see the options available as we move forward, year after year. I may feel like I have a handle on the elementary level but my oldest will always get to try new things LOL.

Susan, this reminded me that I had a lovely conversation with Jim Weiss's wife in the vendor hall and she was so gracious about only being allowed to be in the vendor hall. I had asked her if Jim was here and giving a presentation but he wasn't asked because they are Jewish. How sad :(. We came to the conclusion that we worship the same God, why can't HEAV see that? Now I'll probably get blasted by someone but it made me sad how such a big and influential convention could decide whom to invite based solely on their idea of religion. I will be going this year to shop but I really wish I had a better option.

It's very sad that education wouldn't be a priority at a homeschool convention.

Nope, not at all. But, it's growing. The sessions are wonderful and it is very much a family atmosphere. We did some events Friday night and by Saturday at lunch, my kids were sitting with their "friends."

Go shopping at HEAV. Learn at VaHomeschoolers. ;)

Good to know. Thanks!

You are welcome!

SWB

This makes me so angry to hear. I have listened to and been inspired by both you and your mom at HEAV and another convention. I don't need lectures on turning to the Lord for solutions. I need help educating my children.

Susan, this reminded me that I had a lovely conversation with Jim Weiss's wife in the vendor hall and she was so gracious about only being allowed to be in the vendor hall. I had asked her if Jim was here and giving a presentation but he wasn't asked because they are Jewish. How sad :(.

They are such an amazing couple that way. I've been involved with two different local groups who hosted them, and they are incredible to be around. They are completely dedicated to their craft and are so motivated to inspire people. I find it ironic that he isn't allowed to speak or perform, and yet the vendor hall will have plenty of materials that don't come from a Christian viewpoint. I don't really see a difference there.

HEAV is still somewhat open on their vendor policy compared to some though, but we'll see how that goes long term.

I'm going! Has anyone stayed at the Crowne Plaza for the convention in the past? I'm wondering how far it is to walk and how reliable the shuttle is.

I just google mapped it less than a mile but It is really hilly in that area. It would be a bit of a hike. I stayed there before but we drove up to the convention. We knew we would have stuff we had bought and didn't want to haul it back. and we always take lunch to eat at the car too.

I don't know about the shuttle. You could ask on the HEAV FB page and see what others may say. There is usually a big group that goes to HEAV staying there.

You are welcome!

SWB

Susan I saw you speak MANY years ago in Hampton, VA at a hs group there. I think your oldest was about 8 or so. You were so real and funny then. I appreciated you so much.

Anyway. I do go to HEAV but have been very disappointed in the direction I see them heading. Sadly not sure what we say will matter much, but I will try again. In fact I find few seminars that I like going to any more. I still enjoy going to see other hsers I have met over the years, and help out with volunteering.

Hope you will be able to go again.

Honestly, I am worried about the crowds this year. I have no intention of seeing the Duggers and I assume they will be in the large room across the street from the vendor hall. So that may help the crowds.

And it's sad HEAV has gotten so narrow in their speaker choices. Variety will bring more people. I have heard SWB at HEAV and the old N VA conference. Her mom too. Wonderful talks and I so hope to see her again.

As for the VAhomeschoolers conference it's smaller. Usually speakers you don't normally see/unique. But the vendor thing is tiny.

I got tickets for the Duggers BUT I haven't decided if I will use them or not. I shall see.

I do think being across the street will help tremendously.

• 1 month later...

Hope it's OK that I'm posting on this month-old thread.

I'm thinking about going to this convention because we were planning on being on vacation at a beach in North Carolina that week, but my daughter broke her arm the other day. (It happened on the playground at public school, and they waited an hour and a half to call me. Strike #9 against our local public elementary school. But that is another subject for another thread.)

Now I'm wondering if we should cut our beach time down and spend some of our time at this convention. We can go back to the beach later this summer when the cast is off.

We will be new to homeschooling and have never been to a convention. We are a Christian family so I don't think we'll be bothered by the Christian "hype" that others grow tired of. But we will probably try to lean toward more of the academic side of things if we can.

My daughter is almost 6. She loves the Duggar family. I could go either way about seeing them.

If you have brought your kids to this particular convention before, was it fun for them? I don't want our vacation to be a bore for our daughter just because I'm really excited about homeschooling and shopping for curriculum! I grew up in Richmond so I know there's a ton of fun stuff to do there if we decide that the convention is just not happenin' for us.

Edited to correct a typo.

I'll be working the Rightstart booth, probably looking incredibly frazzled and tired of people asking the same five questions. :)

The convention seems to be good for kids. They'll have an instrument petting zoo, real milking cows and lots of other new demonstrations and there was a science booth there last year with a real preserved heart and lung for kids to touch (with gloves on and parent permission) and ask questions about. It has a huge exhibit hall. There's a drop-off program for the kids that you can sign them up for. I've never used it as I'm not Christian but I hear good things about it. The kids in the program all get a chance to walk around the hall a bit as I see them traipsing around in their matching t-shirts. Despite not being a YE Christian, I have enjoyed going and perusing the materials and talking to the vendors. I look forward to the conference and my husband loves taking my kids on lots of misadventures in Richmond.

Thanks for the info.

Well it appears the kid program is full. So we will probably reschedule the family vacation, leave DD with family, and DH and I will do something on our own. We may attend the covention for a day or so. I would like to go to the "new to homeschooling" sessions and exhibit area at the very least.

I told DH I think it will help me feel more like we are on the same page and it might help me to feel more supported in my decision to homeschool. Plus getting my hands on actual curriculum is kind of a big deal to me right now since I never really have.

I'm sorry the kids' program is fully but I suspected it. It does fill up pretty quick. If you come I'll be there for sure on Thur afternoon working the security and information booth right by registration.

I would say it is a good program, good if you are just starting out lots of great info there, and materials to look at too.

Tess are you going?

I'll be there Thurs and Friday for sure not sure about other days.

Thanks a bunch. This is what happens when we make last minute plans to attend a popular event. We finally have worked it out to go to the New to Homeschooling sessions on Thursday, and to the exhibit hall after that. Apparently all of that is free on Thursday if you're new to homeschooling, which we are. I'm so relieved that my DH is coming and that my DD is not. And we are avoiding the Duggar scene altogether. Nothing against the Duggar's, just all the crowds! Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...