Menu

What color is your front door? What color would you like to try?

lynn

I'm not a fan of hunter green, which is what our front door's also been painted. It's kind of 80's, KWIM?

I'd love to have a deep rich red. Actually, I'd probably love to live in Trinity Church, downtown. Just myself and my family rattling around that big old place....

http://portlandoregondailyphoto.blogspot.com/2007/09/trinitys-red-doors-part-i.html

Ours, in our condo, is burgandy. Unfortunately, per HOA rules (barf) everyone's door must look the same on the outside. However, I'm about to paint the inside portion. Not sure what color, though. I'd kind of like to bring avocado "back" ;)

My mom's is brick red with these little framed out portions that are light blue. It. looks. horrendous! The paint has finally gotten so old that it is starting to peel off in strips. I'm going to redo hers, as well. I'll have to keep it brick red, as her house is painted the same color, but I will try to find something less offensive for the framed areas... I may go with a nice glossy cream.

Black. I didn't think it would work, but our house painter did it up for our approval (he was tired of our dithering methinks, and knew his eye is better than ours). He promised to change it if we didn't like it, and whatever paint we chose would be on him. The black is perfect, though it gets only a few minutes of direct sunlight.

House is A Victorian cottage, light yellow, with mustardy yellow trim and a lighter yellow highlight colour, and with darkish brown pony board and lighter brown porch floor.

Ours is dark green (as are the shutters). I want to paint it a nice purple one of these days. I'm thinking a darker purple, close to eggplant, but not quite. I'm thinking I would paint the shutters black.

My front door is a deep yellow. On a dreary February day is practically glows. In the summer it looks fresh and fun.

I wouldn't mind a deep purple door, but I'm still loving the yellow one a lot.

Ohhhh, I love yellow doors! I don't think it would look right with the color trim we have outside or our brick color, but I would love a yellow door someday!

Ours is black on the outside and white on the inside. I don't mind and I can't change the outside color because of HOA rules.

I would be petitioning to change that rule at every opportunity. I suppose it might be fine if you live up north, but here a black anything required on the outside of the house is ridiculous, except maybe the house number.

About 8 years ago, we went on a second honeymoon to England, where we bought a piece of stained glass in the town where dh's great-grandfather's ancestors likely lived. (The town's name is the same as dh's middle name, which is his mom's maiden name.)

When we got home, we bought a solid core wood door, cut out a hole for the stained glass, installed it, and painted the door copper metallic.

I. LOVE. IT. I'll paint (and re-paint) anything, but I'm not changing it. The door is staying "copper" for a looooong time. ;)

Lisa

Burgundy, blech. I wish it was black, but we would have to paint not only the door, but also the storm door facing and all e shutters. That would require somehow getting to the shutters on the second floor, so it's not going to happen any time soon. Our development is relatively new, they built the first houses in 2006, and most people went to the design house and chose everything. Three people in our cul de sac alone chose this burgundy,

Burgundy, blech. I wish it was black, but we would have to paint not only the door, but also the storm door facing and all e shutters. That would require somehow getting to the shutters on the second floor, so it's not going to happen any time soon. Our development is relatively new, they built the first houses in 2006, and most people went to the design house and chose everything. Three people in our cul de sac alone chose this burgundy,

Why do you feel the door must be the same color as the shutters? Is it an HOA rule, or just one you hold yourself to?

Hunter green, along with the shutters. I really like dark greens, but I might change it in a couple of years (we just moved in last year so I'm not sick of anything yet). Unfortunately I don't have a good eye for color. I can say "ooh, pretty!" when I see a nice combination, but I can't look at my house color and decide what the perfect door color would be. Actually I don't even know if my house is beige or taupe.