Menu

Anyone ever have their blog on Blogger.com "locked"?

My Handbook of Nature Study blog was "locked" by Blogger yesterday because they suspected it was a spam blog. I haven't the foggiest notion how they figure that out if a blog is spam but mine is obviously not. I read their note on my dashboard and clicked the "review" button but it has been over 24 hours and I have no idea how long it is going to be locked.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen before and how long did it take them to review your blog.

Today is an Outdoor Hour Challenge post day and I have no way to let people know what is going on since I can't post on the blog.

Frustrating...especially after having issues with another homeschooling blog site a month or so ago and moving everything to Blogger.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

(who is on an unexpected blogging break from her nature blog)

I haven't, but a friend of mind had that happen, however, hers was a brand new blog (withing 24 hours) and yours doesn't sound like it's brand new.... Hers was back up the next day. I know that sometimes I almost hit the Flag Button when I'm just browsing blogs, (it's right in the middle of "next" and "search" so maybe someone accidentally hit yours. I'm sure it will be back up soon. I'd try and email support, too, if you're concerned. I've also received a lot of help from their forum.

It hasn't happened to me, but it *has* happened to some friends of mine, with increasing frequency lately. In fact, someone blogged about it happening to numerous Catholic bloggers just this morning... I'll see if I can find the link.

Apparently, that little "flag blog" button makes it too easy for people who disagree with you (for whatever reason) to have your blog locked. Google immediately locks the blog until it can be reviewed, which I've heard can take a while. :( I know several people who've moved their blogs over to Wordpress.com as a result.

I'm so sorry to hear that they locked your blog! I really hope they clear it soon. It's one of my favorites, and I've learned a ton from you about using the Handbook of Nature Study, which I'd bought years ago, but blew off using because I didn't think it was relevant for those of us on the west coast.

You can pull it up and read it but I can't post anything new to it or change the template or add a note saying what is going on.

So is someone actually targeting certain types of blogs and "flagging" them with button at the top? Does Blogger instantly lock blogs that are flagged? That just is not good business.....

Now I'm worried. I was hoping this was just a little glitch and I would be backup and running any minute.

I can't tell you how much time it took me to move everything from HSB to Blogger........hours and hours of old posts moved so I could offer them to others. They are not for my benefit but for my readers.

I am so ready to just throw up my hands and say, "Enough". I can't justify all the time to rebuild another blog. I had the lights go out without warning on HSB and now being "locked" is just about as bad.

Sorry for my frustration....just know you all here understand what I mean. I am not mad, just a little defeated.

On a positive note, I had a great day bicycling with my boys in the Sierra. It was a perfect day and we enjoyed the fresh air and abundant sunshine. Now it is pizza night so I better go off and get that pizza started. :)

Thanks for the info everyone.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

This just came up on the Blogger Dashboard:

August 1, 2008 —

While we wish that every post on this blog could be about cool

features or other Blogger news, sometimes we have to step in and admit

a mistake.

We've noticed that a few users have had their blogs mistakenly marked

as spam, and wanted to sound off real quick to let you know that,

despite it being Friday afternoon, we are working hard to sort this

out. So to those folks who have received an email saying that your

blog has been classified as spam and can't post right now, we offer

our sincere apologies for the trouble.

We hope to have this resolved shortly, and appreciate your patience as

we work through the kinks.

— Brett

This just came up on the Blogger Dashboard:

August 1, 2008 —

While we wish that every post on this blog could be about cool

features or other Blogger news, sometimes we have to step in and admit

a mistake.

We've noticed that a few users have had their blogs mistakenly marked

as spam, and wanted to sound off real quick to let you know that,

despite it being Friday afternoon, we are working hard to sort this

out. So to those folks who have received an email saying that your

blog has been classified as spam and can't post right now, we offer

our sincere apologies for the trouble.

We hope to have this resolved shortly, and appreciate your patience as

we work through the kinks.

— Brett

This just happened to a friend of mine this week who has a well established blog. I'm glad to see they are aware of the problem and are working to get it sorted out.

If you have had your blog blocked, you can still add a widget to your sidebar to explain that your blog is locked. I feel better that I can leave a note to my blog readers explaining why I didn't post the scheduled Outdoor Hour Challenge today.

So if you have your blog locked, you can add/edit widgets on your sidebar!!!

Wahoo! Thank goodness for the little things.

Just in case you wanted to know,

Barb