Menu

In the high school MFW program, AHL, for 9th grade... I thought there was plenty of grammar review in the Lit/Comp Supplement. That book reviews grammar in the context of editing your papers.

MFW recommends Applications of Grammar book 1 in their 8th grade year. If you haven't done any formal grammar by end of 8th grade, you'd probably want to start something like Applications of Grammar in summer before 9th. It is not part of the high school program except for those who never had any formal grammar and they typically say work on it in summer before you begin the main program.

Overall, both my oldest and middle found Applications of Grammar fairly easy to use. Some parts were tougher than others.

I'm a little confused from your question compared to siggy line. Are you thinking of Applications of Grammar for 9th or 8th grade? are you also interested in hearing about the English in MFW high school which is not applications of grammar? maybe I just am over thinking again.. sorry..

Ah, yes... In US1, they use Easy Grammar Ultimate series as a review and keeping skills sharp.

I'm very thankful I didn't start my oldest in 9th grade using MFW's US1. Even though she did ancients in 8th with CTG, I was very glad she did AHL in 9th to work on everything. I was glad to let her grow their the high school. Even though she "could" have done it with a lot of work and is fairly advanced,.. I was glad to let her grow through the program.

Oh, so you are saying that changing the cycles isn't a good idea b/c the work is actually geared toward the their recommended cycles? US1 work is designed specifically for 11th grade? Hmmm...well, yes that does change a lot. ugh! Back to the drawing board!

Yes, MFW high school is different in that the difficulty level increases with each grade and depends upon you learning the writing lessons from the previous year. I would not do US History in 9th either.

It worked out for us for start the high school years at ancients with rhetoric style. and let the middle child in logic stage just go from CTG to RTR. I know for a while I wanted to keep everyone together on social studies, but in reality it was ok not to do that.

Oh, so you are saying that changing the cycles isn't a good idea b/c the work is actually geared toward the their recommended cycles? US1 work is designed specifically for 11th grade? Hmmm...well, yes that does change a lot. ugh! Back to the drawing board!

I agree that it makes most sense to use MFW in order, if you can. It's very classical to start history at the beginning. And Biblically, it makes sense to start at the beginning, go through the entire Bible, and only after that foundation spend a year on worldviews.

I'm sure folks do things their own ways, but if you have 4 years, is there a reason not to start a history cycle at the beginning?

Julie

Yes, I see what you all are saying. Unfortunately, we've spent more than enough time on the ancients. We study history classically and do to changes in curriculum we've spent an extra yr in Ancients. I feel like the Jews and want to be freed in the Exodus! :) So, that will not work for us this year. I'm now looking at the Notgrass curriculum. This looks like it might work. Though, I've just begun reading; I am hopeful!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I see what you all are saying. Unfortunately, we've spent more than enough time on the ancients. We study history classically and do to changes in curriculum we've spent an extra yr in Ancients. I feel like the Jews and want to be freed in the Exodus! :) So, that will not work for us this year. I'm now looking at the Notgrass curriculum. This looks like it might work. Though, I've just begun reading; I am hopeful!

I am so with you here!!! I was hoping I could start dd off at the place she is in Hx....early Moderns.