Menu

Okay = I'm finally going to the dentist = please pass the valium!!!

I made the appt today for Mon at 11:45. I am just this side of really, really, really scared. And I know it is silly. It is just a clean and check. Nothing big, nothing major. AHHHHH!!!! I have not been in 2 years because I am so very scared of the dentist. And our dentist is a very, very nice man who looks much like Santa Claus!. I trust him with my dc. I know him to be an excellent dentist. He has a wonderful reputation with our orthodontist and several other physicians in the area use him. My dc like him. I cant stand it!!!!

So, seriously, valium is out of the question.

So is laughing gas.

Good thoughts?? Prayers?? Pretty please???

Let me tell you what I tell my daughter. "Take a deep breath. God is in control even at the dentist. Concentrate on something that you find relaxing (and that focuses your mind): maybe a favorite poem, a verse or two or three, a song, counting up to 5000. . .! The dentist is not trying to hurt you. The worst you will experience is a bit of discomfort."

If you aren't adverse to natural type remedies, I'd get a dropper bottle of "Rescue Remedy" at the health food store. I'm not sure what exactly is in it but it is a homeopathic liquid that you drop in your mouth and helps you to calm down.

Take a walkman or Ipod or portable CD player and some headphones and put on some soothing music. Promise yourself a treat when you are done. It isn't fair that just kids get prizes out of the treasure box when they're done! Treat yourself to Starbucks, or a massage to get rid of the residual tension, or an ice cream cone (just remember to brush when you get home!)

I made the appt today for Mon at 11:45. I am just this side of really, really, really scared. And I know it is silly. It is just a clean and check. Nothing big, nothing major. AHHHHH!!!! I have not been in 2 years because I am so very scared of the dentist. And our dentist is a very, very nice man who looks much like Santa Claus!. I trust him with my dc. I know him to be an excellent dentist. He has a wonderful reputation with our orthodontist and several other physicians in the area use him. My dc like him. I cant stand it!!!!

So is laughing gas.

I know exactly how you feel! I'm the same way. But why IS laughing gas out of the question? I get it every time I go in, even for a cleaning. Yes, I am that much of a baby when it comes to the dentist. I can have natural childbirth three times, and I can't go to the dentist without laughing

gas. :001_huh:

Seriously, I would definitely look into the gas if I were you.

Anita

I LOVE going to the dentist! Think how fresh and clean your mouth will feel when you're all done. Yummmm!! MY DH says I'm sick and that I'd feel differently if I'd ever had a cavity. No doubt that's true. But I'm sorry--I'll take the dentist over a pap n' pelvic ANY DAY. ;)

The big thing in our area is "sedation dentistry." Have you looked into this?

So is laughing gas.

I'm right there with you, sister. Next Wednesday, it is my turn. I already told them I would cry and cry, and that it was nothing person. They tut-tutted and said they would never make me cry.

It's not that they *make* me cry, it's just that I cry. And cry and cry.

I hate going to the dentist. It wigs me out.

But I am going. I will not cancel.

Hang in there. I will think of you and send you some strengthening vibes!

I LOVE going to the dentist! Think how fresh and clean your mouth will feel when you're all done. Yummmm!! MY DH says I'm sick and that I'd feel differently if I'd ever had a cavity. No doubt that's true. But I'm sorry--I'll take the dentist over a pap n' pelvic ANY DAY. ;)

The big thing in our area is "sedation dentistry." Have you looked into this?

See,I can tolerate the dentist okay,but I'd prefer the p n' p. Why? Becuase it's over so quickly. At the dentist, it seems like they scrape,drill,etc. forever!

I'm with you,though. I love how my teeth feel after a good cleaning.:D

I went monday.... i normally don't mind, but it had been about 5 years.

The cleaning went well... the pain i've had the last 2 weeks? $2800 worth of "stuff" needs to happen to make go away.

I don't think i like going to the dentist anymore.

Anyone want to float me a loan???

Oh wow! Once again I'm reading something on here and thinking "I'm SO glad to find out I'm not alone!!". I HATE, despise, dread, fear, etc going to the dentist. I've never been that I haven't been hurt and I'm so far behind in going I'm not even going to confess how long. I had braces to prepare me for TMJ surgery, the surgery, surgical removal of all four wisdom teeth prior, and a root canal that had to be started and finished on my front tooth within days of my wedding.

I've had massive work done over my teen years, so maybe that's a part.

I'd rather go to any dr everyday than go to the dentist. :( Isn't that silly?

I just send you a pm! LOL!!

I have to have 3 fillings replaced on the top, i have a crack on a tooth that led to a cavity on the bottom. He's willingt o TRY to fill that one, but it really needs a crown considering how it is cracked. The one behind it needs a crown because of the cracks and where they are... apparently at some point in my life i was grinding/clenching my teeth, and that is a partial cause of the issues.

UGH.

I need the other side done in about the same manner - but he said i can wait till next year for that (like, it won't take me a year to dream up the $$???).

I got to see it all... they have this nifty small digital camera they use in there - joy, that was an ugly tooth at 20" on the TV over my head! LOL!!!

So...how 'bout that sedation dentistry? Hear in the DC area, they're running commercials for it all the time. (NOW I understand why: I had no idea so many people hated the dentist's office!)

Has anyone actually tried it? Of course, it wouldn't help Tracie's problem: You've still got the bill when you wake up. ;)

Oh my Gosh! I had no idea there were so many fellow phobics... I thought I was the only one. I truly had a panic attack when I scheduled my 7 year for a dental appointment last month. I was abused by a dentist when I was a child, back in the 60's. I was slapped in the face repeatedly because I was afraid every time I went. My kids will NEVER be alone with a dentist. EVER. I have horrible teeth I need to make a appointment now, but keep putting it off. UGGGG!

I'm sure some sort of therapy is in order, but too late for that! LOL..that should have happened 40 years ago.

You are not alone...sending prayers for that appointment!

(((Holly))), I dread going to the dentist too. Even though I love my hygienist and my dentist - they are both very nice and very good - but it hurts and I still feel the vibrations and icky sensations even after I've left, and my gums are sore for a day or two. I'd take the dr. any day over the dentist!

My only coping tactic is to NOT think about it before I go. Dwelling on it only makes it worse. The music is a good idea, and I would so take the laughing gas if they offered it! Prayers for a smooth, uneventful appointment.

I understand your apprehension, Holly. Congrats on making that appointment. I'll share my pet peeve with you....the lecture. You know the one. 'You need to take care of yourself too!' 'Did you realize it's been blah years since you've been in?' Blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile, I've got two teens at home in braces and spend many, many hours and dollars supporting the dental professions. I especially detest the beautiful perky 22-year-old hygienist chastising me on the quality/frequency/method of my flossing technique. In order to not get steamed, I've learned to write on the sign-in questionaire that lectures make me defensive. That's worked for me so far. They are much more polite and treat me like a forty-something instead of a teen. Again, Holly, you're doing a good thing. Thanks for letting me know others hate it too!

Valerian is a natural relaxer that won't mess you up at the dentist. I take Rescue Remedy, too, but I take much more than the bottle directs.

My heart rate speeds up so much when I go to the dentist that valium can't help me. Anything that they could give me, I metabolize so quickly because I get so upset!

So, I take the valerian a good while before I go...before I start to get upset, and contine to take it as often as I can throughout the day. Then I start with the Rescue Remedy when I get into the dentist parking lot, and start deep breathing exercizes at the same time.

My dentist is great. He has a nice flat screen tv in the ceiling over the chair, and he keeps me on track with my breathing as he works.

I don't know why going to the dentist affects me so strongly!!! Ugh!

:grouphug: