Menu

Visual Link Spanish & SOS Spanish - please give reviews

My dd used both in 7th grade.

We started with SOS spanish, but it was too much volume wise for her. She took about 2 pages of notes for new vocabulary per day or every couple days. It was too much for her to remember at that grade.

I really like Visual Link Spanish although she didn't finish it (she was learning Spanish to go on a mission trip & we didn't continue when she returned). I like that Visual Link started with vocabulary that you actually needed to travel. It is also as it says, very visual. The visual layout on the screen helps to organize the vocabulary in your mind. I like the audio CD's too. It was a lot volume wise too, but not as overwhelming as SOS.

We bought Visual Link just for fun (ds was studying German and Latin already) and I thought it was an excellent program. IT builds confidence quickly by teaching simple grammar and works in complete sentences right out of the gate. I think the retention rate was pretty good too! Ds really enjoyed it!

Mary

We used SOS Spanish 1, and will use SOS Spanish 2 this year. Definitely high school level, which is how it's marketed. I like that as a non-spanish speaking person, the software tells me whether or not my child is actually pronouncing the words correctly. Since the answers are given, I don't need to be able to know Spanish for my child to learn.

I am contemplating it for my 2 still at home, but not sure yet where to put them due to a year of tutoring in the subject. I think 2 might be too much, 1 too little. Either way, I think it's a good, solid program that includes the grammar they must have to count it as a full foreign language credit.

We actually used the workbook/audio casssette version for Spanish I and then did SOS for Spanish II. SOS worked well for my boys! My 4.0 guy finished Spanish II in 7th grade. (He has an excellent visual memory & that helped with vocabulary.) When he went to public high last year his Spanish teacher was impressed with his skills.

My smart (but ADD) guy finished SOS II in 9th or 10th grade & did well also. All that to say it is truly a high school level program, but some kids can handle it earlier, especially those that have done some basic Spanish in elementary school. My daughter (age 12) struggles with school & I'm not sure I'll be able to use this with her.

Hope this helps,

Dawn