Menu

Art book/curriculum recommendations

texasmama

We have neglected art around here. I am looking for a good book/curriculum which gives an overview of the well-known artists (painters) for kids in upper elementary ages. I want pictures of the different styles and short biographies - you get the picture. I am not looking for art projects to do. My boys won't want to do them. Just the facts. A book or DVD would work well. I will use it with my three youngest kids. Thanks in advance.

It's not a curriculum, but we have several resources we use for art history that my kids really enjoy. It's amazing how much art history they've learned in the past year just from playing an art matching game and thumbing through these few books. In addition, my ds just started an art history sticker book. He'll do one page/section at a time (maybe once or twice a week at most), and when he's done we discuss what he found interesting. Here's what we've used:

Art Memo matching game

Usborne Book of Famous Paintings

The Children's Book of Art

Discover Great Paintings

The Usborne Art Sticker Book

Additionally, we've watched just a few of these videos from the library:

http://www.amazon.co...est artists dvd

ETA: In your case, I think the book/DVD sets I linked to above would be perfect, especially if your library has a good collection of the videos. You could choose one artist every couple of weeks, watch the movie, look up some more of that artist's art online and done. The art matching game is fun for all ages too: everyone from preschoolers to adults can play it.

Edited by Wabi Sabi

For your purposes, I would recommend the DK book Art. I love this book! That will give you the highlights of art history in a chronological format. I really have been pleased with the Harmony Fine Arts program. An artist of the month and a composer of the month, so easy, and it has been so effective.

Also I like Childsized Masterpieces cards and Dover art card sets.

Getting To Know The World's Greatest Artists are good reads.

We have enjoyed Artistic Pursuits and Child Size Masterpieces. I also enjoy the "Katie" series of art books. My girls have really enjoyed reading those and learning about the art. I also enjoy the Usborne Art sticker books for Impressionists and they have matching playing cards. When my children were young, don't laugh, but most of their art history was learned through Little Einsteins and they still remember the artists! Finally, Harmony Art Mom has some wonderful recommendations, blog, and yearly curriculum. I have never used the art prints but Simply CM (?) has beautiful art prints. For simple art appreciation AO has wonderful ideas. For my rising 3rd graders I just bought Jim Weiss Renaissance Artists CD, matching renaissance playing cards, and will get books and art prints to coordinate with the CD. Just some thoughts.