Menu

Any major difference between Wheelock's 5th and 6th editions?

Dd will be using Wheelock's for an upcoming class and we have the 5th edition on hand. The school sent the ISBN for the 6th edition, but I'm wondering if that is simply because it's the newest edition. I really don't want to buy a new book if I already have it.

TIA,

Barb

I have several editions, including both the 5th and 6th edition, so I'll pull out the old one and take a closer look if you need it, but this is what's in the Introduction to the 6th edition:

"The 6th ed. revised contains a variety of additional enhancements, including slight revisions to the Introduction and some of the sentences, reading passages and accompanying notes, as well as a further expansion of the English-Latin vocabulary designed to render even more useful the companion text, Workbook for Wheelock's Latin."

In my experience, the revisions have been substantial, and generally an older edition will cause problems when an instructor is assigning work from the newer edition. I would definitely consider purchasing the newer version for that reason, unless you can contact the instructor ahead of time and ask if she can complete the assignments from the older edition.

I can answer this.

I have a Latin I student who used the 6th edition. Whenever I study Latin to help him, I use my old 5th edition. The differences (aside from the addition of some maps and stuff) that I've seen are that in the translation work the 6th edition often has the same sentence as the 5th edition but with a few words added here and there. There are also occasional differences in the vocabulary listing with the 6th edition giving fuller or more accurate descriptions/explanations.

None of these are a big deal, but a student in a classroom setting is going to run into problems offering his/her translation and not understanding why or when it is going to be slightly different than the rest of the class's. Since this text isn't outrageously expensive, I would encourage you to find a 6th edition.

Tina in Ouray, CO

Get the 6th edition, Revised. It is the latest version and Professor LaFleur continues to make revisions and additions. A new copy at Amazon will run you about $14. At a brick and mortar bookstore, you'll pay $21. It's a very reasonably priced textbook, compared to a lot of other curricula.

Thanks all, I will buy the newer book. I have a copy of the sixth ed. floating around who-knows-where. It is apparently keeping company with the workbook, Dale Grote's study guide, and my only copy of 38 Latin Stories. I'm blaming the moving company from last year :glare: I do, however, own 3 copies of the 5th edition for some reason. I was hoping to buy yet another copy of Wheelock's sheerly out of principle.

Ah well.

Barb