Menu

WWE for middlers and/or high schoolers? Anyone attempting this? (x-post)

Beth in SW WA

I purchased WWE to use for my reluctant writer (dd 11) who Cathy Duffy would call a "Perfect Paula". I was toying w/ PTIW, IEW or WWE. She had a writing tutor last year and it was a total bust. She now hates writing.

Latin, grammar and lit are her favorite subjects. Writing makes her break into hives.

Thoughts?

Thanks!! :)

I purchased WWE to use for my reluctant writer (dd 11) who Cathy Duffy would call a "Perfect Paula". I was toying w/ PTIW, IEW or WWE. She had a writing tutor last year and it was a total bust. She now hates writing.

Latin, grammar and lit are her favorite subjects. Writing makes her break into hives.

Thoughts?

I haven't even seen the book yet up here in Canada, but based on SWB's writing CD comments about middle grade kids who are reluctant writers who need the process pulled back apart for them, I'd probably use it for your dd.

I bought WWE to use with my 2nd grader. But, in looking it over, I thought my 6th grade reluctant writer could also benefit from it. So, for those of you planning to use it with an older child, are you going to begin at level one? Anyone going to do this with a younger sibling simultaneously? I worry how my 6th grader will react to doing the same curriculum as his little brother.

I feel like I have been wandering in the desert and have now come into the promised land! And, yes, I've read the process as outlined in TWTM and listened to SWBs Writing Without Fear workshop, but for some reason WWE is clicking with me in a way that very few other curricula have. There is nothing that I don't like about it, except that the middle school level isn't out yet!

I have started my rising 7th grader in level 3, and I'm currently giving my rising 6th grader the diagnostic for level 2. Once I have her placed and started, I will decided whether to begin my rising 3rd grader in level 1 or 2. My rising 1st grader is still learning to read, so she won't be ready for WWE until at least after January or so.

So far, my eldest dc likes the short lessons. :D And he is feeling successful at writing, not like "it's so hard!"

The best thing about it is that he is already making progress, just after a few lessons! He, for the first time in his life, gave me a great narration today without giving me every little detail and every piece of dialog that was said. I still had to help him a little by asking a few questions like, "What happened next?" But I feel like he is making a breakthrough. I expect that he will move through level 3 and 4 quickly, and he will simultaneously work through the outlining in the SOTW 4 activity book, so we will have that going at the same time.

Thoughts?

My son, dc#1, appreciate the short lessons and the feeling of being able to succeed at writing. I hope that remediating the particular skill/s that he is lacking will help him not hate writing!

Thanks, gang!

I read WWE yesterday cover-to-cover. My dd 11/6th grade will buzz through Level 4 probably early Fall and then we'll start PTIW. She really needs a middle school level writing program and/or a system where I have her "write across the curriculum".

Oh, how I wish SWB would get going on her middle/high school level writing program!

I think the issue is that my dd is capable -- but simply not interested in writing. She is post-high-school on all her standardized tests for language arts. She's my reading-obsessed child.

So this is my tentative plan for this year:

WWE Level 4

R & S 6 Grammar (not the writing portion)

Sentence Composing For Middle School

Put That In Writing (which I already own)

writing about our middle ages history studies

I am going to have both my kiddos do more outlining per SWB's recommendation. That seems to be another element we are lacking in here at Dei Gratia Classical Acadamy :)

Thanks again for your replies.

I would love to hear how others are implementing WWE w/ their older kiddos -- and where you plan to go after Level 4.

My ds 13 will write across the curriculum -- no formal program needed for him.

with my boys 10 and 7. I decided to just start at the beginning with both of them and just progress through more quickly for my 10 year old, giving him copy work and narration each day.

I enjoyed reading what others are doing and agree that this book is great!

Best of luck to us all and our dc! :)