Menu

idiom poll

Word Nerd

Which do you say?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Fill in the blank: I will never ______ in that restaurant again.

• set foot
    • step foot

Here's an interesting article on "set foot in" vs. "step foot in" from the Columbia Journalism Review. Per the article "set foot in" is the correct use of the phrase. An excerpt:

"Here’s another way to look at it: When you walk, you step. Each time you step, you set your foot down. When you walk into a place, you step into it; you set foot into it. “Step†is pure action; “set†implies deliberation."

Out of curiosity, I looked up the phrases in an online idiom dictionary. Only "set foot in" was listed - there was no listing for "step foot in".

Guest submarines

"Step foot" doesn't really make any sense.

I also don't think it is actually an idiom, or at least not the way I understand what idioms are. I think it is an expression.

Idiom:

Noun

• A group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g., raining cats and...

Set to me is "Set something down". If you're walking into a place, you are STEPPING into the place. I find SET completely out of place and wrong. However, looks like I'm only one of the 2.2% though - so ignore me. LOL

Don't lose sleep over it!

We set down a foot. OR We set a foot on the floor. (or onto the whatever)

We step with a foot.

"I'll never step with my foot in that place again!" is the only way the Grammar Police will let me pass.

OR

"I'll never set [my] foot in that place again!" (It is unlikely that I'm going to set someone else's foot in the room.)

(So if I refuse to step with my foot, what AM I willing to step with in that place?!)

Don't lose sleep over it!

We set down a foot. OR We set a foot on the floor. (or onto the whatever)

We step with a foot.

"I'll never step with my foot in that place again!" is the only way the Grammar Police will let me pass.

(So if I refuse to step with my foot, what AM I willing to step with in that place?!)

Don't worry - I won't. I got up to early. I'm already wanting to go to bed.

Now don't hate me, but before I read the comments, I thought, " 'step foot' sounds like something my hillbilly SIL would say." She also likes terms such as "conversating," which she seems to think is a sophisticated version of "chatting." Ahem. I am going to Hell for sure.

"Step foot" sounds to me as if the people who are saying it misunderstood it in the first place, the way people say "one in the same" instead of "one and the same."

In case anyone cares, those sorts of mistakes are sometimes called "eggcorns." :) And "step foot" sounds like one of those to me, too -- though apparently there's some debate about it:

The Eggcorn Database >> step foot