Menu

Does anyone else here NOT wear makeup ever?

Luanne

I just prefer not to wear makeup. The last time I did was three years ago at my brother's wedding. I still have some makeup, but I just don't care for that oily feel. The other issues I have is being allergic to a lot of things and it making my face break out (acne). My daughter is the same. She just prefers not to wear makeup. She didn't even wear it at my brother's wedding. Anyone else like this?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm close. I just can't seem to give up my one light layer of mascara. Sometimes I wear mineral powder on my face to try and even out the tones, but it's maybe once a week. I haven't worn foundation, blush, eye shadow, concealer, lip color, etc. for years.

<--- my photo was taken several years ago.

No make up here. I gave it up sometime in college a few moons ago and never looked back. Hubby is happy (less money and time). I don't ever plan to wear make up again. I'm not bugged in the least concerning what others might think about my decision. To each our own.

You over did the blush! :lol:

You overdid the poison. :laugh:

I have often wished I could be a no-makeup person, but I look like the Walking Dead without it. Seriously. Every now and then when I've been seen without make-up, someone always asks me if I'm sick. :glare: Nope. Just ugly.

I never do. The most I do is a tinted moisturizer and a very non-shiny lip gloss. These days I wear the tinted moisturizer almost every day - I like how it evens out my skin tone and adds a healthy 'glow' to my face, but it's not at all heavy to wear.

Not unless you count lip balm and sun screen. I have to admit that I often get complements on my complexion/skin so perhaps my distaste is just a privilege of not really ever seeing the point. I have no moral objection to it and admire a nice makeup job when I see it but it's just never been my thing. I've tried in the past and had it done professionally too and it's just.not.me.

ETA: I didn't even wear it to my OWN wedding.

You overdid the poison. :laugh:

I have often wished I could be a no-makeup person, but I look like the Walking Dead without it. Seriously. Every now and then when I've been seen without make-up, someone always asks me if I'm sick. :glare: Nope. Just ugly.

Yes, that is me. I have olive skin that can look very swallow and dead without some help. If I don't add a bit of blush and lipstick I look terrible, and long gray hair isn't helping matters.

No make up here. I gave it up sometime in college a few moons ago and never looked back. Hubby is happy (less money and time). I don't ever plan to wear make up again. I'm not bugged in the least concerning what others might think about my decision. To each our own.

The only one who seems bothered by it at all is my grandmother. SHe calls me cocky, for at least not putting on lipstick....lol. It still makes me laugh to think about that. When she was sick and in the hospital (like so sick we thought she was dying for crying out loud!) I did put some on to please her; she was very happy. LOL.

That is the south for you *roll eyes*

Nah. Never. What a pain. Once you put it on, it's got to come off. The last mascara I bought must be 5 yrs old.

My dd just reminded I wore it once when I had a date with dh. So, to be absolutely correct, I can't say never.

Me. I hardly ever, ever wear it. Once in a while I'll use some mineral veil and a sweep of mascara, but I would say that's about once a month. I have great skin (just don't look too close) and hardly any wrinkles, so it's just the luck of genetics. I'm 41. And, I don't dye my hair, either.

However. My toenails are polished almost all the time.

I used to not wear it. For years, into my 40's.

What I learned is that, for me, not wearing made a statement about what I feel about myself.

There are women whose anxiety and self definition are at unhealthy levels around make up. OTOH, not embracing culturally sanctioned ways to express beauty can be an unhealthy expression - that is where I was.

I've worn makeup since around Christmas. I feel better, and feel that it is more professional.

The last time I wore it was for a church directory picture back in 2006. I react to most makeup, and here in FL I would sweat it off anyway. I remember the days I wouldn't consider leaving the house without it.

I didn't in high school -- not hardly ever. I surfed all the time. Everything just runs in the water.

Then in my later 20's when I was a prof, I did because it felt more professional.

Then in much of my 30's I didn't because I fell into a mom-schlump funk and didn't care much about my appearance. The not caring was not a healthy expression, for me.

In my later 30's, I rediscovered my inner girly-girl and now I enjoy make-up. I still don't wear a LOT (for ex. I use only a tinted moisturizer with SPF, not foundation), but I do wear some every day -- at least mascara and lip gloss. I feel much better with a bit of lippy on my face. The ritual of a bit of primping makes me feel more prepared for my day, and I feel that I present a more polished and professional 'me' in my work, as well as my personal life.

I used to not wear it. For years, into my 40's.

What I learned is that, for me, not wearing made a statement about what I feel about myself.

There are women whose anxiety and self definition are at unhealthy levels around make up. OTOH, not embracing culturally sanctioned ways to express beauty can be an unhealthy expression - that is where I was.

I've worn makeup since around Christmas. I feel better, and feel that it is more professional.

You know what, I wasn't thinking about the professional aspect (because it's not a very large part of my life at this time), but you are absolutely right.

If I had a job outside the house where I was interacting with the public I would wear it every day. I would also get manicures. I DO wear it when I have papers to sign, people to meet, elbows to rub. When I have to be His Wife. If the day requires dress shoes or an outfit other than jeans, I wear makeup.

On a day to day running around town and being mom? No. Right now that's about 95% of the time.

No makeup here either. I tried it out a bit as a teen and young college student, but it was never something that fit with my lifestyle. I am a no-fuss, on-the-go person and just don't see the point for me. Plus I have issues with allergies to various types and have symptoms from breathing issues to severe headache to acne. I can't remember the last time I wore it--maybe 8 or 9 years ago when I was working in an office? Even then I didn't wear much and wasn't very consistent. One benefit of not wearing makeup while living in the desert it is easier to be faithful with sunblock. DH prefers me without makeup, and has since we first met at 17 & 19. I remember one of my dorm mates woke up late and didn't put on makeup one day. Her fiance spent all morning asking her if she felt OK because she didn't look well. She was a very naturally beautiful girl, but she obviously looked different with makeup. She swore she would never be seen without makeup again. I thought that it was a sad thing for a 22-year-old to feel that way! My poor sister is so attached to her makeup that she has anxiety issues and near panic attacks about it if she is caught without it or it isn't "right." She threw a screaming temper tantrum at 16 when my dad dared to suggest that she make a quick run to pick up some tables from the empty church on a Saturday morning before her makeup was on. She was so afraid that someone would see her that she freaked out. It hasn't improved much and she's almost 30. She has horrible acne (exacerbated by constant makeup use) and some wrinkles (from tanning and sun exposure) that she thinks she can hide with caked on makeup, but it looks so strange to me.

Extremely rarely for me. I just don't like it, and my Mom never taught me how to wear it. I have some for "special occasions", but it's old and probably needs to be thrown out. The last time I had some on it was for a pricy photoshoot (um, boudoir photo shoot as a Christmas present for DH) and I paid for a gal to make me over, hair and face (airbrushed face). When I have to do it again someday I will probably opt to have someone airbrush me again -- that stuff STAYS and doesn't smudge when I rub my face.

All in all, since we don't have company holiday parties to attend anymore I pretty much don't. It's not me.

None here, ever. At 51, it is what it is. I'd probably look a lot better with makeup but it's just not me. My hair is going gray and I'm letting it, too.

Okay, I WILL admit to coloring my hair. Dark Brown. The thing is, when my eldest niece was 6 and my eldest DD was 4 I was watching the 6-year-olds at a dance lesson to see what DN was doing. Another lady came up to me and very sweetly asked, "Do you have a grandchild in this class, too?" "Um, no. My daughter is in the 4-year-olds class...." She never spoke another word to me. I had my grays covered the next day -- I do NOT want to be taken for my children's grandmother.

I do have some vanity after all, it appears.

Nope, not in years. Not even for weddings. I'm mostly just too lazy. Then a special event comes up and I can't justify buying a bunch of crap that I barely know how to apply for one event. When I worked, it was in a field where women who looked nice or dressed nice weren't taken seriously (not fair, but reality) so I never had much motivation there. DW doesn't wear it either, and she works in a similar field.

My hair on the other hand has been every color... Currently working on cobalt blue, but I don't like it. May need to go back to purple.

And in spite of this, my 4yo is BEGGING for makeup. Where did this child come from?