Menu

Rod & Staff Spelling...Teacher Guide necessary?

Sue G in PA

Grade 2 and 3 are pretty easy to do without the TM, I guess. I'm glad I have it for grade 4. Sometimes I have to look up the answers when my son gets stuck. :tongue_smilie:

There is also dictation starting in grade 4. That's only in the TM. You could make up your own dictation (it's just two sentences using the 4 review words, with the rest of the words in the sentences being words the child should be able to easily spell by now).

The TM's are super duper cheap, so I've gotten them for all levels I've used and have not regretted it. I figure the cost of the TM + student workbook is about the same price or less than some other spelling workbook programs, so I'm good with it. :)

I just ordered the workbooks. My son who will be using Grade 5 is already doing dictation with HOD and so we probably won't use that part anyway. I really just needed something like R&S that they could do fairly independently on the days that I can't be available to do our more teacher intensive spelling program. In a perfect world, I could do it all. But alas, I find myself exhausted after fighting them over math and reading and all our other subjects that spelling never gets done. Sigh. I'm hoping R&S will be the answer I'm looking for to get them up to speed.

I love R&S for its independence in spelling. :) It has been great here. I've seen a lot of growth in my son's spelling. We just weren't getting around to doing spelling before. Now, it gets done consistently, because I'm not involved. I just plain hate teaching spelling. :lol:

(obviously, if my child needed extra help, I would teach it, but this child doesn't - he's not a natural speller, but he's not a struggling speller either)