Menu

WTM shoppers, can someone just make this easy for me?

Julie in CA

DH loves Men's Warehouse. They have a large span of sizes and prices and he can always find what he needs there. Also, they'll tailor it there. Makes the fit perfect.

ETA: I agree he'll need to be fitted. If you purchase online you're going to have to take it to a tailor for him to look his best in it. Regardless of price, a suit that fits poorly looks terrible, even if it was thousands of dollars.

He's not your standard size for off- the- rack. :) Pretty much anything is going to need to be fitted/tailored. I agree with Mens' Warehouse. They are a large chain, so you may find one near you. They will fit and fix, and as far as price, they are about the best out there for what they offer. MW has frequent sales, and a range of prices.

We get DH's suits at Joseph A. Banks, always when they have their "buy 1 suit, get 2 free" sales. We pay $1000 to $1500 for a suit, but you get 3 of them. One year they included a free sport coat!

That may not help your current needs, but keep your eye out for the sales so you can get them before they are needed.

It stinks when someone close to you dies and you have to spend time scrambling to find something nice to wear; especially if you aren't an average sized man. Dh is 6'4 and lean, all of his mice clothes have to be tailored, it's a pain in the butt!

But...but...but...we went to Men's Wearhouse (there is one only 25 miles away), and the suits they said would work were around $600-$700!

My dh is a dairy farmer. This will be the 2nd time in his adulthood that he's worn a suit, so it's not a frequently worn item of his wardrobe. Still, it's the first of our 5 kids to get married, so he might need one a few more times in the next 5-10 years. Is $600-700 or renting the only option? Seems like it shouldn't be this hard.

But...but...but...we went to Men's Wearhouse (there is one only 25 miles away), and the suits they said would work were around $600-$700!

My dh is a dairy farmer. This will be the 2nd time in his adulthood that he's worn a suit, so it's not a frequently worn item of his wardrobe. Still, it's the first of our 5 kids to get married, so he might need one a few more times in the next 5-10 years. Is $600-700 or renting the only option? Seems like it shouldn't be this hard.

That is a lot for a one time deal.

Any department stores with a good sale going?

ADDING: I can tell you where the three suits dh has bought in almost 30 years came from, none over $200:

Brooks Bros. (outlet mall), Men's Warehouse, and an upper end department store with a great sale.

I am agreeing with the suggestions of renting. Go to any tux shop. It's probably $100 to rent, but that's a lot less than $700, even if he needs to rent again.

When you get older, and have to attend more funerals, then maybe you can buy something. Terrible thought, I know, just so real.