Menu

I just had a "moment"....

AlmiraGulch

So it's Easter morning and I'm sitting here with my husband and my youngest. Husband picks up his guitar and starts playing church songs. Old, traditional, church songs, in a country sort of style. I'm not a Christian, but I used to be and I still enjoy the music. Anyway, all of a sudden I was choked up and teary eyed! Completely unexpected. I think it's because it reminded me of being a kid listening to my mom, aunt, and uncle doing the exact same thing. That, and when he got to How Great Thou Art I was immediately taken back to my grandma's funeral. My dear, dear uncle, who would have been the one on the guitar, is also gone.

That, or I'm pre-menstrual. It's hard to know when you don't have a uterus anymore. :laugh:

It's funny, I also got teary in church as I looked over the hymns we were to sing. (And I too thought, "must be that time of the month.") I just love certain Easter songs from when I was a kid going to church with my dad. Didn't do that for about 30 years and then, three years ago, I started bringing my kids to the same type of church. Today I have an ear infection so I can't hear out of one ear and was afraid to sing, lest I butcher the tune. The very last hymn, though, I sang just above a whisper. Couldn't help it.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly a song can evoke such strong emotions out of me. Smells, too.

I know it was a sad feeling at first, but how sweet that your grandma and uncle had a few moments with you today - in memory, if nothing else.

Oh, and hormones ... well, they evoke some strong emotions out of me, too. Smells, too, for that matter. TMI? LOL Ah, PMS. Good times, good times ....

So it's Easter morning and I'm sitting here with my husband and my youngest. Husband picks up his guitar and starts playing church songs. Old, traditional, church songs, in a country sort of style. I'm not a Christian, but I used to be and I still enjoy the music. Anyway, all of a sudden I was choked up and teary eyed! Completely unexpected. I think it's because it reminded me of being a kid listening to my mom, aunt, and uncle doing the exact same thing. That, and when he got to How Great Thou Art I was immediately taken back to my grandma's funeral. My dear, dear uncle, who would have been the one on the guitar, is also gone.

That, or I'm pre-menstrual. It's hard to know when you don't have a uterus anymore. :laugh:

Despite the sadness, I love those moments.

Even though it's not cool or popular, I love a lot of the very old gospel songs and hymns. Dh and I used to play frequently at nursing homes. When we would play those songs, we realized that the vast majority of the residents didn't even look at their songbooks - they knew them all, and all the verses, by heart. We had so many people later come up to us and tell us about how the old songs brought memories of their childhoods back to them.

Music is such a powerful thing. It can bridge time and reconnect us with loved ones no longer present. It can energise or calm. It can provide a way to identify with a rich heritage. That is why I decided to be an old dog and learn a new trick. When I turned 30, I decided to learn how to play bluegrass fiddle. I had never even held a violin/fiddle before. It has been a very rewarding and fun hobby since them.