Menu

One Less at the Holiday Table

Evergreen State Sue

Hello Friends,

With family gatherings happening as many celebrate Easter this weekend, I wanted to send a shout out to those who like me will have one less at your holiday table. My brother passed away in February. Maybe you also have lost a loved one, or maybe you just have a family member who has left the nest. For whatever reason, you are in my thoughts and prayers as I know this can be a difficult time. I was mentally counting up who would be here, and then I realized I had to subtract one. :crying:

Have a blessed weekend with happy memories of times with your loved one.

This will be our first Easter without my MIL, who was an amazing, loving woman dearly missed by us all. We always gathered at her house for holidays. This week dh's two sisters had a garage sale to sell her stuff, the things none of us took. The house is also on the market. So very strange.

My heart goes out to everyone missing loved ones!

I know what you mean...I'm so sorry about your brother, Sue. The "firsts" are especially hard.

My 3 siblings and I and our immediate families were standing around my mom's kitchen island tonight. We were singing Happy Birthday to my brother and my oldest son. The happy time we were sharing was overshadowed by the knowledge that our much-loved cousin lay dying 2 miles down the road and there was nothing we could do. It's so odd to go on with our everyday lives when death is so present.

:grouphug:

I thought it would get easier. Seriously. I cried during Holy Thursday and Good Friday at church. I could see my parents there with us. My mother died in November 2009 and my father is October 2011. I am only 46 and I am the oldest sibling. I hope to get through Vigil tonight and Easter dinner tomorrow with my sister's family without breaking down.

I'm sorry for your losses, and saddened by your hurts.

What a good reminder that we shouldn't take each other for granted.

My brother passed away decades ago, when I was still a child. I don't remember him at many holidays.

This is a good reminder for me to soak it all in, and enjoy the people in my life while I still have them here with me - that no petty annoyances are worth losing this time with them.

Thank you, and ((((hugs)))).

I thought it would get easier. Seriously. I cried during Holy Thursday and Good Friday at church. I could see my parents there with us. My mother died in November 2009 and my father is October 2011. I am only 46 and I am the oldest sibling. I hope to get through Vigil tonight and Easter dinner tomorrow with my sister's family without breaking down.

Those are still so fresh. Be gentle on yourself. Much love to you and the others here who are hurting.

My cousin passed away about an hour ago. My mom is right now telling her brother that his only son is dead. His only daughter passed away in December and his wife a few years ago.

Those are still so fresh. Be gentle on yourself. Much love to you and the others here who are hurting.

My cousin passed away about an hour ago. My mom is right now telling her brother that his only son is dead. His only daughter passed away in December and his wife a few years ago.

Oh CHelle, hugs and prayers. I am so very sorry.

Thank you all who have responded with hugs and prayers, and especially for sharing the stories of your missing loved ones. It is good to have family and friends around to help lift you up, and I count you guys in that company. Hugs to you all. Today was hard at church. I cried through two songs. I thought about leaving, but there is a comfort in going through this grieving process surrounded by friends and family and the spirit of the Lord.

Chelle, prayers for you and your family at the loss of your cousin only a few days ago. I recommend the book Tear Soup - A Recipe for Healing After Loss. I found it at the library - an easy read and powerfully comforting to learn how grieving can manifest itself in different ways.

Blessings, Sue

Chelle, prayers for you and your family at the loss of your cousin only a few days ago. I recommend the book Tear Soup - A Recipe for Healing After Loss. I found it at the library - an easy read and powerfully comforting to learn how grieving can manifest itself in different ways.

Blessings, Sue

Thank you very much. I just checked to see if my library had that book and they do! I will pick it up in the next day or two.