Menu

Help :( P.E.R.T college placement test

My daughter took the P.E.R.T test here in Florida today and failed the min score in reading ;( She got a 92 and the min is 104. This is for dual enrollment for the fall. She took the practice test and did AMAZING and when she went in to do the testing she said it was not that bad. Her score was on the READING part. She was offered to re-take or wait and try again for the Spring. Advice on what to do. We did all we could to prep. Thanks in advance.

Susan khan

Is it just that she was unfamiliar with the format? How did she feel about the questions? My DD is much younger, but I know that I can almost just hear the subjects of Reading Comprehension activities and know how she'll score before she does them. A different test on a different day might well make the difference.

Also, some practice tests simply don't live up to the real thing in difficulty. If there's a higher level of the same or similar test, you may want to practice with it, instead. Practicing and feeling confident only to have the first questions feel like you're reading a foreign language because it's an odd topic or strangely worded can really torpedo confidence.

She can only re-take one time in 24 months. Yes she was familiar with the format of the test. She can take the SAT or ACT and use those scores as well. The only downfall is she would have to wait till the Spring of next year. So is she re-takes the test then she can still take the other tests and use those scores. Thank you all for your advice. :)

Susan Khan

There is an ACT test in June that she could take and you should get the scores back by the end of June, that should give you plenty of time to register for fall classes. But she can still take classes in the fall, just not a class with a writing component, right? The community college we do dual enrollment through only allows two classes per semester in the 11th grade. She could probably wait to retake the test later and still be able to take classes that don't require a passing score on the reading section (I'm thinking math and science). Just throwing out ideas :)

There is an ACT test in June that she could take and you should get the scores back by the end of June, that should give you plenty of time to register for fall classes. But she can still take classes in the fall, just not a class with a writing component, right? The community college we do dual enrollment through only allows two classes per semester in the 11th grade. She could probably wait to retake the test later and still be able to take classes that don't require a passing score on the reading section (I'm thinking math and science). Just throwing out ideas :)

I just found out that the scores have to be in by April 1, 2013. So I guess she can chance it and re-take reading Monday and then do the ACT in June if she fails it again. She would not be able to start until Spring if she does not pass the test Monday. Maybe they will let her take a math or science? Honestly I have not got much help from the school or the college :(

Don't fret about it mom! She missed by a very few points, it could be a number of things, everything from testing anxiety to simply going to fast. If I recall from my own placement testing days, you can NOT go back to the previous question so it can be hard (or impossible) to check you work when you are working on those things.

I say take your chances and retake the PERT whenever its convienient, its likely she will get the score needed to proceed.

But also, which classes were she planning on taking? At community colleges it is usually very possible to work "across the board" meaning you might be in College Prep Reading and Calculus 3. (I know people who were doing this.)

If the worst case scenario is that she'll need a 'college prep' class--will it be possible for her to take it over the summer, in an express session and start the fall semester on her true level?

I say comb through the schools website, find their list of progression for classes, see which classes she can take even if she doesn't get the score on the PERT that she wants. She can probably take electives, math and science even with a less than optimal reading score on her record.

Well they let my daughter re-take the reading part. Before she did the re-take she had to go to a class and take two practice tests. They said she did real well on the 2 practice tests so they had her go and take the real test. Guess what , she did WORSE than the first time :( Very discouraged right now.

Susan Khan

I have not been there done that with a child, but I have been there and done that with myself, so please take all my advise with that understanding.

Okay, don't feel discouraged. This sounds like it could be an issue rooted in the testing itself. If your daughter is acing the practice tests and failing the real-deal, she may be experiencing some testing anxiety or even just be a poor test taker. I struggle superbly with test taking myself.

Test taking used to be horrible for me: It didn't matter how much I knew, or how well I studied. When I took the tests I'd forget, go to fast, etc...I quickly learned to freaked out and lose my mind during the test because I knew I was messing up, but I couldn't fix it or stop myself. I adopted what became a self-defeating mentality and a self-fulfilling prophecy and I didn't know how to stop. Then I was referred to an advisor who specialized in academic support and working with students who have testing anxiety, need study strategies, etc. She gave me some info and some tips, just talking with a live person about the information on the brochure helped tremendously. We worked on the test taking strategies and I begin to get test grades that reflected all the effort I was putting into my studies.

Testing anxiety is real and it can be a b!tch, but its also something that can be worked on. I still get it, but its not as bad as it was in its hey-day and I know where to turn if I begin to feel overwhelmed again.

Again: I do NOT have experience with HSing highschool students or getting my child into dual enrollment for CC (I don't even have any kids) but I know about navigating "the system" where comm. colleges are concerned.

What you need is a plan of viable action but the plan of action should depend on what she was planning to do in the first place.

:grouphug: Don't be discouraged. Don't be down. Right now, your DD needs you to be supportive, proactive and level-headed.

How is she doing? I'm sure that she is dissapointed and possibly feeling a little distressed too. Failing a test (any test) is not the end of the world, its not the end all-be-all.

There is still the SAT/ACT option, if you want to avoid or bypass all developmental classes in general, but keep this in mind:

Students who take a developmental class (or classes) wind up getting the exact same degree as those who dont. It doesn't matter where you start so much as that you start. And DONT GIVE UP.

I took a developmental math class (two of them, actually) and I got my AA with honors and transferred into my first choice school with a merit scholarship that is paying about 50% of my tuition. (FA pays the rest.).

The College prep class could be valuable experience for her, if she winds up having to take it. No one is going to hold it against her and after she gets 12 credits of college level work, they wont even count in her GPA. There is no stigma involved outside of a students mind, teachers in a AML2600 don't care if there students took ENC0020 several semesters ago and most won't bother to even look at the transcripts of their students unless the students work gives them cause. I had a Calculus teacher ask me about my highschool math experience and I nervously admitted it was non-existent after 13yo and that I had taken Elementary Algebra at the CC--she was surprised and impressed because of how thorough and neat my work was--she thought I'd been on a math team or something!

If it turns out your DD is deemed to need a college prep class, try not to make it a big hairy deal. It really isn't. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

If it turns out your DD is deemed to need a college prep class, try not to make it a big hairy deal. It really isn't.

At the CCs in WA, an underage student needs to pass the placement exams with "college level" scores to be allowed to take classes in English and math at the college. They are not allowed to take remedial classes if they don't pass--the CCs send them back to the high school for that. I don't know if it is this way in other places though.

At our local CC the children need to place high enough to be in college classes. They can not take remedial classes at all. I did talk to my daughter and told her that she can take AP courses here in Florida and not to worry so much. I just feel so bad for her and she actually said to me "mom I must be real stupid if I can not get in to CC" :( That broke my heart. Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. I REALLY needed it :)

Susan Khan