Menu

How do you *practically* do SM?

We have switched recently from RSB to SM, zooming through 1a to where we are in terms of skills. I LOVE SM. I really loved RS because I felt like it was teacher training for me, but now that I have my "math legs" I much prefer the streamlined nature of SM. HOWEVER...

I want it more streamlined. :-) I feel like I am constantly flipping between the HIG (I try to read it the weekend before so I'm ready to go on the lessons, so at least this is more-or-ess off the table during lesson time), the textbook, the workbook, word problems, tests, etc, etc. And I don't even have the IP or EP for this year!

Are there people who just tear all the books apart into chapters and staple them together??? lol. I hate constantly flipping all around! I know some people have them cut apart and spiral bound so they lay flat... not sure if I can find a place to do it but would be willing to look if that seemed to help people...

Any other ideas? Do I need all of these elements? I feel like the textbook is maybe unnecessary, but maybe in upper levels it has a bigger role.

If you want to get rid of books, I recommend reading the book Elementary Mathematics for Teachers. Once you understand the "Singapore way" from a teaching standpoint, you won't really need to open the HIG again. Just be sure to have things you can use as math manipulatives on hand.

As for the other books, between the textbook and workbook, it would be better to eliminate the workbook. If a problem set was going to be more difficult, I generally found it was going to the textbook one. One thing you could try is doing the textbook portion with your child early in the day and then have your child do the workbook portion independently later in the day. This helps with retention as well as developing good work habits.

As for extras, we only used the CWP and not the IP. I used it behind a level for review as well as to allow my son to apply previously learned and presumably well integrated concepts to the harder problems.

The one thing I used the HIG for was the mental math. I had my son do the mental math exercises before the bedtime read aloud instead of flashcards.

I think how you do it will be different for different kids. This is what works for us.

-Kid one. Very mathy. In 4th grade and 5B. I read through the textbook and HIG over the weekend for the next concept/chapter. Monday we go over the chapter in the textbook. For him, typically we don’t need to use a lot of manipulatives and he will get the concept quickly. I then assign him problems for the week from the IP guide. He works each day on the problems. We no longer use the workbook as it’s too repetitive for him. I assign him some of the CWP from the IP book from the last chapter each week. So if we are currently on Chapter 6 he might have problems from chapter 6 but word problems from chapter 5 and/or CWP from chapter 4 or 5.

-Kid two. Not as mathy. In 1st grade and currently 1B. I’ve used the material before so I don’t need the HIG as much but I skim through it and the textbook the weekend before. We’ll alternate between textbook and workbook/IP book problems. So on Monday if I am introducing a brand new concept we might use just the textbook and work problems together. On Tuesday I’ll assign him problems from the WB or IP book. On Wednesday he might play a math game or do a mental math sheet. On Friday we might do some of LIfe of Fred or another math game or maybe a few more problems from the WB/IP book.

I think what has worked for us throughout is to alternate introducing something new (from the textbook) with doing problems/thinking hard. With my oldest we do that faster. With my second son it’s the same basic procedure but we’ll take longer to get through a chapter.

I think you need the textbook, especially in the upper levels. I think the WB might be unnecessary for some kids, those who are more mathy. I think the EP book is really unnecessary unless you have a kid who needs a lot of review. And even then you can often just make your own drill sheets or use the mental math sheets in the HIG. The IP books are great, and one of my favorite parts of Singapore but can be used more as either an alternative to the workbook for a more mathy kid or as an occasional challenge for a less mathy kid. I think a lot of people use them a level behind. I have never used any kind of tests for my guys. We’ll do the reviews from the WB or TB or IP book when we get to them. I’ll treat those sort of as a test, if they miss a lot we go back and cover those concepts more. So really it can be 2 books only (TB and WB) or 3 (TB, WB, IP). And the way we do it you can only have one book out on a given day.

These are really helpful, thank you. I would qualify my son as appearing to be (this early in the game!) very mathy. We do a lot of mental math and he is getting good at it- not terribly fast yet (it's only been a few weeks!) but pretty much always right, and talks me through his strategy with no problems for add/sub within 20. I think I will switch from the WB to the IP when I order SM2, and drop the test book. I can make my own tests if necessary.

I've read the Elementary Mathematics book and have moved further and further from scripted lessons in all subjects over this first year of HSing- this is why I got away from RS- I just couldn't stand the scripting! Me degree is in physics, so I have been obsessed with finding the "right" math for both of us. :-)

Alice, I like your method of dividing things up so I don't have to have a million books out at once. This is really my big issue with the program, and you've found a good solution. We tend to do our mental math over lunch instead of at bedtime. :-)

I do really like having the HIG- it's more detailed than Ma's book, and I like having the S and S of Singapore.

A typical math session might look like:

- mental math warm-up from the HIG; usually only half of a section. I have these printed out ahead of time

- maybe a CWP problem or two (my dd either does this alone while I'm working with her sister, or we talk through them together)

- lesson loosely based on the HIG, often using c-rods to keep it simple

- textbook done orally to check comprehension and reinforce; we might not do every problem here

- workbook handed over to the child to do the relevant exercise

- if time allows, she does some problems from the IP (half-level behind) as a way of reviewing and extending

I don't use the tests, as the review sections in the text / workbook feel adequate.

I just read through the HIG while looking at the text book before I start the lesson (takes 5 mins). Then I teach the lesson from the textbook. I use manipulatives or whatever we need. We go through the problems in the text together. I use a white board or whatever. Then I give him the workbook and he does the lesson. He is almost done 2nd grade so I don't have to be there for every single question, I can go get a cup of tea and come right back. But, if he needs help or starts to fade then we work them together.

I don't feel like I am flipping back and forth or anything. I don't always look in the HIG. I use it more when we are starting a unit and I want to make sure I am using the correct method. But, after a couple days in, as the lesson goes deeper, I have the concept down and we just go forward.

I don't use the IP book. My son just doesn't have the stamina for that much math. Next year, in 3rd grade, I will introduce CWP but use it a year behind. It gives him some good review.

no help, but that was one of the reasons someone suggested math mammoth over singapore to me - no flipping back and forth. i only used singapore for half a year - we only used the textbook and occasionally used the workbook, so i didnt flip at all.

There is no flipping back and forth between books involved in teaching SIngapore.

1. Read ahead (as you said you do) to figure out the concrete part of the lesson. No HIG needed during lesson.

2. After the concrete part of lesson is done, open the textbook, and teach as many sections as you want to teach that day. Teach teach teach. We have done problems orally, on the white board, with manipulatives, or on paper as the situation has warranted. Put the textbook away.

3. Either later that day, or the next day, or right after, hand the workbook to the child, and the child can then go and independently do the relevant workbook sections. Done. Put the workbook away.

I would never stop at each workbook marker in the text and then go back to the text and then back to the workbook; that would make me nuts. But the way outlined above involves no flipping between books-- just get out the text and workbook at the appropriate times, work through, and put them away when you're done, just as you would any other book. I personally love little post-it flags to make turning to the correct page extra fast :) Every school book in our house sports one :).

We've been using SM since my oldest was in K. He's now in 5B. Pretty much the only thing I use the IG for is the answer key. Otherwise, I teach directly from the textbook lesson using a lapboard and a dry erase marker to work out the problems. When the lesson is finished, I send them off to do the workbook exercise on their own. The next morning I check their work and circle any they missed. I never give them the answers to these. Instead, we work them out together on the board and I help them see where they made their mistake. Very rarely do they struggle with a concept enough to warrant using the IG lessons, but it's there if we need it. I do, however, use the enrichment lessons in the IG as they often cover things that the text does not. We have never used any of the other SM books (Intensive Practice, Word Problems, etc.), but we do supplement with Life of Fred and Xtramath.org.

We've been using SM since my oldest was in K. He's now in 5B. Pretty much the only thing I use the IG for is the answer key. Otherwise, I teach directly from the textbook lesson using a lapboard and a dry erase marker to work out the problems. When the lesson is finished, I send them off to do the workbook exercise on their own. The next morning I check their work and circle any they missed. I never give them the answers to these. Instead, we work them out together on the board and I help them see where they made their mistake. Very rarely do they struggle with a concept enough to warrant using the IG lessons, but it's there if we need it. I do, however, use the enrichment lessons in the IG as they often cover things that the text does not. We have never used any of the other SM books (Intensive Practice, Word Problems, etc.), but we do supplement with Life of Fred and Xtramath.org.

Yes to this, and to NittanyJen's post! I have three of my kids in SM (1B, 3B, and 4B), and I'm not flipping around at all. I have bookmarks in each textbook so that I can flip to the next lesson quickly and easily, I teach the lesson, they work through the text problems (orally or on paper, as needed), and then they do that exercise in the workbook. We deal with one book at a time, in order, no flipping around. It takes maybe 5 minutes/lesson/kid. I am there with my youngest as she is doing her math, so any mistakes are addressed right away. And with my next older-two kids, I correct their work and then have them re-work any incorrect problems. Streamlined. :) I supplement with LOF, also. :)

Right now, my son is working in 2B. I typically go over the textbook section with him, and I have him do (orally) a handful of practice problems to see if he understands it. Right now, he's working on basic multiplication and division; he understands the concept thoroughly, so we might cover several parts in a day (ie several of the workbook markers in the textbook). Then I hand him the workbook and have him do the practice problems in it; it's currently about four pages a day, which is about two workbook exercises. We go back to the textbook when he runs out of workbook exercises that we've covered (like, I might go over, on Monday, enough textbook parts to cover workbook exercises 14-17, so Monday he'll do WB exercises 14 and 15, Tuesday WB exercises 16 and 17, and Wednesday, I'll go over the textbook parts that cover WB exercises 18 and 19). Honestly, at this point, we don't even need the textbook; he just needs to build his fluency with the basic facts, but we go over the textbook to make sure there's nothing crucial that we missed, because Singapore sometimes does things differently from the way I learned. (But it's generally pretty intuitive for both my son and me.) I do have him do all of the workbook problems because writing the answers seems to help him remember the facts. We did smaller portions at a time in 2A when we were discussing addition and subtraction with multiple place values, because it was new to him, and I expect that we'll slow down when we reach more new stuff, but he understands the concepts, can figure out how to set up the word problems (I don't have the CWP for this level but will start it in Level 3), and gets the answers right, so I'm comfortable going faster right now.

I used to use Math Mammoth and was afraid to go to Singapore because of all the flipping between books. When I actually tried Singapore, I realized that I didn't have to flip books. :D

1) DS pulls out TB while I pull out HIG. I briefly glance over what we're learning in the lesson(s) (I'll sometimes teach 2 or 3 if the topic is easy).

2) I start teaching from the HIG, looking at the TB for the problems. I might put something on the white board if needed. We do the TB problems orally. If it's a section of short drill, we'll do enough to verify that he understands the concept. We usually do all the example word problems and such. This goes pretty quick because it's oral. If any writing is needed, I usually write on the white board. My son doesn't have to write during this portion. He's learning, just like he'd learn if he were in school and being lectured to while looking at his textbook.

3) When I'm done teaching, my son pulls out his WB and does the exercise(s) that we went over that day. Yesterday, we were doing rate problems, and they're easy, so we did 2 lessons in one session. He then did the 2 exercises in the WB when we were done.

4) At a separate time, we do CWP at the white board together. I usually do a couple pages, once or twice per week. We'll often start DS's school day with CWP to get his brain going, though I don't recommend doing that after a 2 week break. :lol:

Anyway, *I* do not flip books. My son handles the TB/WB. I just need to find my HIG. I keep a sticky tab in the HIG to mark where we are, so it's easy to find.

That was all for son in 5B. Son in 1B is similar, except that we aren't doing CWP yet, and I mostly sit next to him and go over the TB problems orally, keeping in mind what I read in the HIG on how to teach. Son still handles TB vs. WB, and there is no flipping back and forth. It's really quite easy.

I find that handling multiple books is much like handling multiple books between various subjects in our school. As long as I keep everything in one spot, so it's easy to access, I don't have any trouble. And again, the kid is responsible for dealing with the TB/WB. I just have to keep up with my HIG. :)

Yes to this, and to NittanyJen's post! I have three of my kids in SM (1B, 3B, and 4B), and I'm not flipping around at all. I have bookmarks in each textbook so that I can flip to the next lesson quickly and easily, I teach the lesson, they work through the text problems (orally or on paper, as needed), and then they do that exercise in the workbook. We deal with one book at a time, in order, no flipping around. It takes maybe 5 minutes/lesson/kid. I am there with my youngest as she is doing her math, so any mistakes are addressed right away. And with my next older-two kids, I correct their work and then have them re-work any incorrect problems. Streamlined. :) I supplement with LOF, also. :)

I agree with the above too. The only thing I do differently is that I use the Singapore Math ipad tool instead of a white board. :)

This has been interesting to read, and very useful to see different strategies.

Our routine is similar to Andrea above, when we're using SM (we move between programs a couple of times each year, am working with a mathy child) ... we start our math with a round of Math Sprints, then a section of the mental math problems from the HIG (at the moment I'm giving 5/day of these). Then the textbook, we actually just work to the next pencil symbol; I cross out about half of the exercises when there are a bunch of them. Then we do the corresponding workbook, again usually half of the problems. Depending on the situation, we may take a run-around break between text and workbook. I usually correct it soon after he completes it and have him correct errors.

A. usually reads the textbook to himself and asks me if he is confused about something, and I periodically wander over to offer help. We do this 6 days/week, and sometimes skip or compress sections. When it comes to the review sections I break the larger textbook reviews across 2 days, one day even and one day odd. No tests.

We do supplement variously; at the moment, RightStart's geometry and the Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat.

ETA: reflecting on this thread, I may replace our workbook exercises (which do lack challenge at the moment, usually at least) with IP problems ... I am very fond of the simplicity of matching the workbook to our Standards Edition text, though!

I should clarify my comment about "flipping around" .... my DS is very mathy. He loves it, and we would frequently do more than 1 lesson in SM at a time. Just the mere fact of having 3 separate books for math was driving me crazy. Then, when we'd do more than 1 lesson, I was flipping back and forth.

I'm glad there are lots of curricula available out there so that we can all find what works best for us and our kiddos :)

I should clarify my comment about "flipping around" .... my DS is very mathy. He loves it, and we would frequently do more than 1 lesson in SM at a time. Just the mere fact of having 3 separate books for math was driving me crazy. Then, when we'd do more than 1 lesson, I was flipping back and forth.

I'm glad there are lots of curricula available out there so that we can all find what works best for us and our kiddos :)

We do several at a time too... I just teach them all at once in any given day, even up to a chapter at a time before handing over the workbook.

My definition of "a lesson" is "the amount of material we cover in a day."

I agree though, that it is good that there are many good choices available so we can find best fit... and many homeschoolers to talk to, so we can have the chance to say, "I never thought of doing it that way!"

We do several at a time too... I just teach them all at once in any given day, even up to a chapter at a time before handing over the workbook.

Yeah, I look ahead and see how much I think would be a good amount for him to do. If it's 2-3 lessons, I just teach 2-3 lessons from the textbook, then he does 2-3 exercises in the workbook. We haven't had any problem doing that. :)

Thanks for all the tips! New question: Could I do TB + IP instead of WB for a strong math student?

YES! That is what DD is doing now and it's going well! We are also adding in CWP. We used to do both WB and IP, but it was unnecessary. DS hates lots of problems per page, so the WB has worked better for him, as the IP is a bit more crowded. He just does the IP Take the Challenge questions on a whiteboard.

YES! That is what DD is doing now and it's going well! We are also adding in CWP. We used to do both WB and IP, but it was unnecessary. DS hates lots of problems per page, so the WB has worked better for him, as the IP is a bit more crowded. He just does the IP Take the Challenge questions on a whiteboard.

Thanks for the tip! I think this is what I will try next year. I feel quite comfortable making up my own problems if we need a little additional work beyond the IP.

I am not having luck finding the iPad app -- any suggestions?

I couldn't find it either. I found a few things that looked like they might possibly fit the bill, but I'm very curious to find a link or name of the exact app referenced in this thread.

I like having the HIG in case I can't think of a quick way to concretely model something. Also, I like the mental math sheets in the back. Usually our math session goes something like this for a new concept: open textbook and look at what is going on, think of a quick concrete activity OR watch an education unboxed video about spthe concept, go over sample problems in the text, and when I feel she really understands I circle problems in the workbook for her to complete. I also use the HiG for the answer keys so I don't have to spend any time doing the problems myself. I think once you get used to the teaching philosophy/approach you won't be as encumbered flipping between books.

OP follow-up...

Thanks for all the tips. I am using a lot of sticky notes to streamline my flipping around. I made a general list of how each lesson should go, and it looks something like this-

- mental math and/or skip counting for warm up

- teach lesson with whiteboard/cuisinaire rods/other manipulatives and HIG and possibly TB

- give WB, with post-it markers and let ds work semi-independently.

So far, so good. I still feel like I'm juggling a lot of material, but it's a bit better organized now...

• 1 year later...

I teach directly from the TB (no HIG), then have them do the workbook after. We use CWP, IP, & Extra Practice, but not all in one year (learned the hard way that that's way too much). Over the years we've done the extra books in various ways--from doing TB, WB, and extra books concurrently, without worrying about whether the topics being worked on in the extra books lined up precisely with the TB/WB; to doing extra books after the TB/WB is complete.

You have a lot of responses, but here's how I do it.

First of all, I primarily teach from the Hig.  So far, with DS7, we've barely even peeked in the textbook.  DS7 is VERY mathy and easily grasps concepts so my approach may change with DS6 who is starting 1A this fall.  

Second...I remove the bindings of all of my Singapore books.  I three hole punch them and place them in three different 3-ring binders.  For example, I keep the 2A books together, the 2B books together and then the "extra" books for 2nd grade, they go in their own binder.  That would be the CWP, Process Skills and Speed Drills.  

When I lesson plan, I guesstimate how long DS will need to sit on each unit.  With DS7, I know he can pretty much move right through, so I can plan a lesson a day.  I usually build in two or three days here and there so that if DS is having a hard time, we can sit on that topic a little longer.  

After I plan which lessons he'll be doing in a given week, I go ahead and pull the corresponding WB pages for that lesson.  In my planbook, I have a pocket folder for each week.  I place that week's work in the pocket and then the weekend before, I pull them out and sort them into the appropriate weekday folder.  (Man, typing this out, it sounds SO complicated, but its really not...it takes a bit of work, but in the long run, it saves me so much time).  

I use IP, Speed Drils, Process Skills, the Test books, any extra WB pages, CWP, etc as spiral review throughout the school year and for word problems (which he has daily).  

I plan a number of weeks ahead...up to three months at a time, but usually about 8 weeks at a time.  

Every day, DS grabs his folder for that day, which has his work already laid out.  If I don't want him to work on something by himself, I put a note on it letting him know its for his math lesson or whatever. 

Also, we reuse our workbooks with our other children so his worksheets are always in a dry erase pocket.  At the end of the day, I wipe them down (we use wet erase markers) and put the worksheets back in their appropriate books.  (Actually, I usually collect the worksheets for a couple of weeks and THEN sit down file the worksheets back where they go...usually while watching a good chick flick...with popcorn)

So that's how we do it.  Again, it seems like a lot of work, and truthfully, during my lesson planning days it is.  But when I'm actually in the midst of schooling, its SO much easier to just hand out daily folders, and take a look at my lesson book to see which lesson we'll be working on.  Everything else is sorted and ready to go.  No shuffling, no lining up what goes with what and when, etc.  

HTH!  

I have the HIG open to where we are to refer to, but mostly we follow the textbook together, side by side. We discuss problems and concepts in the text. I pull out manips by inspiration usually (on my 3rd kid going through primary math). Then I assign problems in the workbook. We review them together (usually the next day). Easy.

We also did multiple lessons per session. I still didn't open the workbook until after we were done with the text for the day. He blew through 2-- 2 1/2 levels per year for a couple of years, so yeah, I get this.

IP book was on a separate day altogether.

I'm glad there are lots of curricula available out there so that we can all find what works best for us and our kiddos http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif