Menu

MODG Henle guide - is it as "comprehensive" as MP's guide?

I want to go a little faster than what the MP guide provides for, but I really like MP's features re: specific breakdown of what to do every single day.

Does MODG's syllabus give that much detail? Or is the schedule more of an overview?

Any other differences between the two guides?

Sorry to be a pest about this... there are no sample pages of MODG's syllabus online (that I can find) and it has a "no returns" policy. Kinda scared to purchase it since it's pretty expensive.

Thanks,

Robin

of the way it breaks things down:

Week Daily Assignments

5 Day 1 - Do Exercise 334 on p. 321. Review all vocabulary.

Day 2 - Do Exercise 335 on p. 322. This exercise should be graded as a test

Day 3 - Do Reading No. 25 on pp. 322-324. Review all vocabulary.

Day 4 - Read pp. 325-328; do Exercises 336 & 337. Write the vocabulary and review the vocabulary.

I understand what you mean; MP's syllabus went too slowly for us, too, but I liked many of the "extras" that they threw in.

I think that MODG has revised its syllabus since the one I bought several years ago, but I could be wrong. I don't know how much they've changed this version from the one I own.

I tried MODG's syllabus and it moved a bit too quickly for my dd's. I ended up following our own schedule, which meant I just went through the book and assigned the sections I thought we needed to cover from each lesson. We ended up taking 3 years to go through the book, which was too long, IMO, but that was mostly because we followed MP's syllabus the first year and it did indeed move too slowly for us. It would have been better to complete it in two years, IMO, and my girls would probably not have gotten bored with studying primarily Latin grammar. I wish now I'd followed LCC for Latin; check out Plaid Dad's blog, perhaps, and see what he recommends. In retrospect, I like the idea of a combination of Henle and Lingua Latina or some other reading program.

HTH!

P.S. Robin, this didn't type up the way I intended it to; the program doesn't function quite like MS Word. At any rate, there are two headers at the top: one for week (which should read "Week 5") and the other for Daily Assignments. Just to clarify things!

I think the newer edition of the guide looks much better in the catalogs. The binding is more secure. Mine was comb-bound and fell apart, although the paper was very good quality. The newer version looks much sturdier.

HTH!

Robin, have you considered doubling up on some of the assignments? I think the MP guide would allow for flexibility. You could probably condense two "weeks" into an 8-day schedule fairly easily. That would place your quizzes on Thursdays and Wednesdays.

Just a thought...

I understand what you mean; MP's syllabus went too slowly for us, too, but I liked many of the "extras" that they threw in.

I tried MODG's syllabus and it moved a bit too quickly for my dd's.

HTH!

If I had to do it over with my older ds I would have used MP syllabus I and II for one year combining assignments/days. I wish there was a syllabus for Henle that covers units 1-5 in one year that's like MP.

I want to go a little faster than what the MP guide provides for, but I really like MP's features re: specific breakdown of what to do every single day.

Does MODG's syllabus give that much detail? Or is the schedule more of an overview?

Any other differences between the two guides?

Sorry to be a pest about this... there are no sample pages of MODG's syllabus online (that I can find) and it has a "no returns" policy. Kinda scared to purchase it since it's pretty expensive.

Thanks,

Robin

Do you want mine? :) Oh now that I think about it we didn't have it for the first half but only the 2nd half. It really does a good job though of laying out each day's assignments. I can post some examples if that would help.

Okay, maybe I need the answer to this question first: How much of Henle I do you need to complete to sit for the NLE Level I exam?

I was thinking you need to complete through Unit VII.

My daughter has had Latin I through LitCT, but I understand you need to do the first few chapters of Level II of this program to complete a true first year latin course and sit for the level I NLE. That is our objective this year - sit for the Latin I exam.

Does that narrow our choices?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

Robin

Do you want mine? :)

You are so sweet :).

You know, I'm thinking we need to go the MODG way only because I don't want to feel like we're completely repeating Latin I. I like the idea of accelerated review, but R made a very high A in the LitCT online course and I think she needs to be introduced to a little new material this year.

So you finished the IB syllabus in a year, no problem?

Robin

You are so sweet :).

You know, I'm thinking we need to go the MODG way only because I don't want to feel like we're completely repeating Latin I. I like the idea of accelerated review, but R made a very high A in the LitCT online course and I think she needs to be introduced to a little new material this year.

So you finished the IB syllabus in a year, no problem?

Robin

I'm dense here (I have workmen at the house so I'm not thinking clearly) but what is IB?

As for the NLE, the thing that prepared E. the best for that was doing previous tests, they're at the website. She did the first (6? 7?) units of Henle I in a year, finished the book last year, and has just started the 2nd book. We didn't have MODG for the first year but it made a world of difference last year - having a schedule made sure she was on track (and that Latin got done to begin with :):)

ETA she did NLE I two years ago, and II last year. So you're ahead of us in that department :)

I'm probably mistaken - I'm the one with a fried brain after a week at strings camp :).

I thought IB was what MODG called their syllabus for the second half of Book I. (That they called the syllabus for units 1-7 IA and the one for the remaining units IB).

Thanks for the tip about the previous NLE tests (you've told me about that before but I forgot!)... I do think that material in units 6 and 7 are on the level 1 test - that's why I'm not so sure about doing the MP guides condensed into one year because they only go through unit 5.

You have workmen already? You poor thing... I'll get you're looking forward to having your home complete and to yourself!!

I'm probably mistaken - I'm the one with a fried brain after a week at strings camp :).

I thought IB was what MODG called their syllabus for the second half of Book I. (That they called the syllabus for units 1-7 IA and the one for the remaining units IB).

Thanks for the tip about the previous NLE tests (you've told me about that before but I forgot!)... I do think that material in units 6 and 7 are on the level 1 test - that's why I'm not so sure about doing the MP guides condensed into one year because they only go through unit 5.

You have workmen already? You poor thing... I'll get you're looking forward to having your home complete and to yourself!!

That may be right, I have to admit I didn't look at it that much - it's really "open and go". If you decide to go with MODG let me know and you can have our books. I don't think we're going to do a 4th year here...

Yes the workmen are doing what SHOULD have been done before we moved in. Grrr.... we're getting there. Remember I'm enjoying the dry air (trying to think positive here). :)

Robin, are you certain about that? I was of the understanding that you only had to cover Units I-V in Henle in order to take the NLE Level I exam.

Units 6&7 cover the subjunctive, which I am pretty sure is not covered in the Level I exam.

One thing you will have to supplement is the Roman culture/mythology, which is not covered in Henle. I believe there are resources for that on the NLE site.

Robin, are you certain about that? I was of the understanding that you only had to cover Units I-V in Henle in order to take the NLE Level I exam.

Units 6&7 cover the subjunctive, which I am pretty sure is not covered in the Level I exam.

You may be right... I'm going completely off the cuff here, thinking that I heard this somewhere. I expect you know more about it than me. That does make me feel better and a little less pressured, although I really do want to cover the full first year and not dilly dally around, since we've already covered quite a bit successfully. On the other hand, wouldn't you have to have covered through Unit 5 by the time you actually take the test in March? If so, wouldn't that be similar to a sequence that completes through unit 7 by the end of the year? I'm so confused... it seems that "Latin 1" means a lot of different things depending on which program you're talking about.

I want to fold in an immersion reading program, too, like LL... it sounds fun! I'm worried about time, though...

Thanks for the tip about the other stuff, too... why can't one program do it all? All the grammar? All the comprehensive exercises? All the interesting reading? All the culture/history stuff? Ugh... I'm exhausted already, thinking about coordinating all this stuff... and this is only Latin - I've got other subjects to think about!!

Thanks for info...

Hey, if you have anything I can use, I'll take you up on it - I'll be using a lot of your books this year!!

But you don't have the units 1-7 syllabus, right? I'll need to buy that one for sure.

It is so humid right now I want to board up and go to Colorado for a month!! I would settle for just a couple of hundred miles north :).

Robin

You may be right... I'm going completely off the cuff here, thinking that I heard this somewhere. I expect you know more about it than me. That does make me feel better and a little less pressured, although I really do want to cover the full first year and not dilly dally around, since we've already covered quite a bit successfully. On the other hand, wouldn't you have to have covered through Unit 5 by the time you actually take the test in March? If so, wouldn't that be similar to a sequence that completes through unit 7 by the end of the year? I'm so confused... it seems that "Latin 1" means a lot of different things depending on which program you're talking about.

I want to fold in an immersion reading program, too, like LL... it sounds fun! I'm worried about time, though...

Thanks for the tip about the other stuff, too... why can't one program do it all? All the grammar? All the comprehensive exercises? All the interesting reading? All the culture/history stuff? Ugh... I'm exhausted already, thinking about coordinating all this stuff... and this is only Latin - I've got other subjects to think about!!

Thanks for info...

Robin, refresh my memory here. Is your dd going into 8th gr.? If so, will you be covering her Latin instruction through grade 12, or will she be switching to another language?

I have had no problems adding LL to our Henle study. We take an hour per day to do Latin, including our readings in LL.

Lisa, my dd is 13 and is really going to be doing 8th grade next year, although I'm only calling her "7th" (she just turned 13 - I chose to hold her back grade-wise a long time ago due to summer birthday).

I was hoping to have the equivalent of Wheelocks done by the time she started 9th grade so that she could switch to either French or Spanish at that time. It looks like I might have to postpone that to10th grade if we start all over again with Henle. She might continue with latin reading in high school, but I'd like to have all the grammar out of the way by then. If she wants to pursue advanced latin reading, that would be fine but I won't require it.

We're taking on a lot this year and I'm not 100% sure I want to spend a full hour a day on latin. Maybe the LL readings can be done in the evenings or while in the car, so that they dont feel like part of the school day.

The next two years of Latin study will lay an excellent foundation for further language study. You have gone this far, see it through to a place where you can say that you did a solid two-year course in Latin.

It will be *fine* if you start Spanish in 10th gr. Your dd's Latin study will *definitely* make her Spanish studies much easier. My older dd studied some Latin at home, and went to ps in 10th gr. She started out in Spanish I, but it was waaay too easy. They tried to place her in Spanish II, but it did not work w/her schedule, so they took the chance and put her in Spanish III. She did fine, and went on to Spanish IV and made the Spanish Honors Society.

BTW - We spend an hour per day on Latin, but I work in extra things that are outside of the Henle guide. You may not find you need that much time.

Hey, if you have anything I can use, I'll take you up on it - I'll be using a lot of your books this year!!

But you don't have the units 1-7 syllabus, right? I'll need to buy that one for sure.

It is so humid right now I want to board up and go to Colorado for a month!! I would settle for just a couple of hundred miles north :).

Robin

Right, we didn't discover MODG till last year. I'd road trip to CO any day with you! You're always welcome here - we'd LOVE to see you. You might want to wait till all the workmen are done though :glare: