Menu

Amazon Buys Goodreads!!

This is interesting. I just read through many of the comments on the Goodreads site...looks like a lot of their regular users are unhappy. I love Goodreads and use it regularly but have no idea what the effects will be.

I don't think Amazon will do anything to change Goodreads' format, but the may make it more difficult to purchase from competitors. The Atlantic had a good article about why Goodreads is important to Amazon:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/04/the-simple-reason-why-goodreads-is-so-valuable-to-amazon/274548/

As a Shelfari reader (they were bought by Amazon, too). I can tell you I have not seen any clamp down on adding whatever books you want to the Shelfari book list. I added a new book from a small publisher that they currently do not stock, no problem.

As a Shelfari reader (they were bought by Amazon, too). I can tell you I have not seen any clamp down on adding whatever books you want to the Shelfari book list. I added a new book from a small publisher that they currently do not stock, no problem.

Even on the main Amazon site, you can add items to your wishlist from other sellers (even those completely unaffiliated with Amazon) without restriction.

Even on the main Amazon site, you can add items to your wishlist from other sellers (even those completely unaffiliated with Amazon) without restriction.

True, I have this feature on my browser, although I don't use it often. But I just added this thread to my wish list, now if I can just find a good price.