Menu

CC Timeline Cards & Timeline memorization question

MeaganS

We're not going to do Classical Conversations anytime soon, but I am very interested in their timeline/cards. I love the idea of memorizing a time line and memory work is definitely something my girls enjoy doing already. I'm considering making the jump on these cards, but would like to hear any pros and cons you can think of for them, as well as other options. Also, how long does it take to memorize it all (like 1 school year, 2, etc.) assuming regular practice for an interested Kindergardener?

Here's the link in case you don't know what I'm talking about. :)

ETA: I'm bumping my own thread because I had another question that is related. If any of you have done the timeline all the way through (either CC's or the old Veritas Press one), did you find that it helped your children as they went on. I am totally sold on memorization, so it's not really a general memorization worth question, but specifically for timelines. My gut says it can only be good, but I was hoping for some anecdotal evidence to support my gut.

I do CC, and I love them! If I stopped doing CC, I would still use them. If you get them, get the song that goes with it too. You can get it by either buying a set of CD's that go with a cycle, or you can purchase just the timeline song via their website. It will be a download. The song is super awesome, and it makes the memorization so much easier. Here is the link to where you can purchase just the song. It costs $8 to purchase the whole song. It's worth it! http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/clacfahitiso.html

In the CC program, they do the whole timeline in 23 weeks. There are 160 cards, so 7 cards per week. (They review the US presidents song in that 24th week.)

If we were not doing CC, I would just do one card per schoolday (look at picture in detail, give a 1 minute explanation of what the card recommends, etc.), plus review saying all the cards up to that point.

You would get through the whole thing, then, in 160 schooldays, or a little less than a schoolyear. When we got through, we would probably just start back at the beginning as far as card study, but keep saying the whole thing (or at least one period of history) daily.

Be aware that there are FOUR packs of cards to have the whole timeline - you don't want to get just one pack as you will have only 1/4 of the timeline!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before this year, CC used a different set of timeline cards that was published by Veritas Press. This year, they published their own. If there is any chance you may ever join CC, you want the new ones. If there is no chance you will ever join CC, look at both before you decide.

The cards are different. The old VP ones are more Biblically and Western world centered. The new CC ones have a lot more stuff combined on a card, which I don’t like, but they include a lot more facts about Africa, Asia, and South America, which I do like. The VP cards are more event focused – so they might pick the highlight main accomplishment of a people group and the name the person. The CC cards are more people-group focused – they identify the group, then talk about their habits and lifestyles and accomplishments. So one might say “St Jerome completes the Vulgateâ€, and the other would say “Rise of Christianity". They include similar things on the back, but one is about this one guy and the main accomplishment for the time period, and the other talks about the overall time period.

Different people have different reactions. My good friend HATES the new ones b/c they are beige and she thinks they look like they are trying to put on airs. I have another friend who doesn’t like that the VP cards aren’t laminated and have pointy corners. :) So there are people who just prefer one set over another for random reasons!

Honestly, I probably like them equally for different reasons. I think I am the only one who is torn between them, though. Most people seem to really prefer one or the other.

One more consideration - you can probably get the VP ones used cheaply as all the CC folks are converting to the new CC ones. Though many, like me, can’t bear to part with the old ones. We are working the new timeline during the school year, and will work the old one over the summer. Many of the events are the same, but there are enough that are on one or the other to make it worth doing both given that we had already learned the old one.

In both sets, there are several packs that make up the whole timeline. Be sure you purchase all the packs or you will be missing a major section of history!

I have the CC ones, and I love them so much, I am looking at getting the Veritas ones, as well. We love the Timeline song, too. We are in a low-key, renegade CC group (not "official") but I still think the cards and songs are worth buying if you are not doing the program.

• 1 month later...

As for your new question, I do not have long term results yet, but I agree. I can only think it'd be beneficial to memorize a timeline. It's an excellent reference tool, and when memorized, it's always there in the back of your mind. Just a couple weeks ago I happened to show my daughter a picture of someone's father serving in the Vietnam War. I told her, "Hey! He fought in the Vietnam War! You remember that from our timeline?" And then my daughter said, "Really? So that's real?" She's only 6, so for right now, she's just memorizing things and not really know what she's memorizing. I'm okay with that! It will gradually click when she's ready to understand.

Having the timeline memorized has helped me. The CC timeline gives dates sporatically through the song. When I hear of an event that might not be on the timeline, I find out when the date is and I can kind of place it on the timeline. Like, "Oh! That happened right before the French Revolution!" Little "Aha!" moments for me. :) I also just got the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, and when I first opened it, I flipped through every single page, finding things that are on the timeline. Many things are not on the timeline too, but I have a better idea of when they did happen now that I have a timeline memorized. :)

I agree with the last post--the timeline cards have definitely helped ME! I often find myself humming the tune to figure out when an event happened. I'm surprised at how often I do this, and how many little things that I pick up on now that are fascinating and exciting.

My dd7 has done cc for 2 years, but only 1 yr with the new timeline cards. I sometimes hear her use the song to place an event too, so I do think its working, although I do not have years and years of anecdotes to back this up.

It's my first year homeschooling, and in CC, and I can tell you I LOVE the timeline song. It has helped my boys learn the timeline so much. Plus it really has helped to gel so many other things. When we are studying SOTW and we get to the part about the Visigoths I can have them sing the part about "Visigoths sack Rome" and it starts to just make sense. Plus when we are studying our Bible and it references leaders there is a common point. I will admit I spent the whole year in CC without owning the cards. I do own the cards now, but I didn't get them until our year was almost over. So, you can totally teach the timeline without the cards, but I am sure it really helps. But definitely buy the audio for the song!

Also--FYI--this is the first year for this timeline song. In the past with the Veritas cards there was an emphasis on learning a movement/sign language for each card, but this year the song made a lot of that unnecessary (though they did try to teach the movements). Everyone I know who has been in CC for a long time said the song really helped their kids memorize the timeline better. Our campus had the most Memory Masters we've ever had, and the director credited it to the timeline song.

I should add that my dd6 will hear things and reference the timeline. For example, she just got an American Girl doll, Kit-from the Great Depression. She had an ah-ha moment b/c she was able to put Kit in with the timeline! :) Love it! It has helped me tons also, and I love just knowing the presidents in order. :)