Menu

need ideas for feast after a celt and roman war

trisharog

My kids and neighbors are re inacting a celt and Roman battle .Aterwards we will have a feast. The AG recommends cooking over an open fire hamburger patties and veggies . It is blazing hot in Florida so we wont be making an open fire . If you are arent doing the fire , cooking hamburgers and serving them doesnt feel authentic. The part that really felt fun to the kids is that the AG said that they would not have had utensils in the battle field so i want to make food that they eat with their hands . Boiled potatoes is all I have come up with. Maybe drumsticks as well but that doesnt seem that crazy. I will have about 20-25 people so any ideas are appreciated. What kind of dessert as well?

My kids and neighbors are re inacting a celt and Roman battle .Aterwards we will have a feast. The AG recommends cooking over an open fire hamburger patties and veggies . It is blazing hot in Florida so we wont be making an open fire . If you are arent doing the fire , cooking hamburgers and serving them doesnt feel authentic. The part that really felt fun to the kids is that the AG said that they would not have had utensils in the battle field so i want to make food that they eat with their hands . Boiled potatoes is all I have come up with. Maybe drumsticks as well but that doesnt seem that crazy. I will have about 20-25 people so any ideas are appreciated. What kind of dessert as well?

Our Celtic feast consistent of roasted chicken, various fruits, cheeses, and bread. It was Feb when we did it but you could buy rotisserie chicken or just cook chicken pieces on the BBQ since it will be hot.

We also had Celtic music playing and after dinner we read Celtic stories. We had a great time!!

Good luck!

That sounds like so much fun!

Hey, I just read (in the book Salt) that the Celts invented ham! Who knew?? A nice thing about ham, you can eat it cold! (The whole point of making the ham was to preserve it for long periods, so you didn't need that fresh boar on the battlefield)

In case the Romans are also eating after the battle, the same book also said they loved putting fermented fish sauce (garam) on just about everything, which is similar to the fish sauce you can get at Asian markets. Although I'm not sure how much the neighbors and kids would enjoy that...:tongue_smilie: The Romans might have had dried figs?

I'm pretty sure if you're trying to be authentic that an army would not have had that much fresh food - cured meats (ham) and dried foods (the honeyed dried apples someone else suggested sound yummy), and the hard cheeses - and maybe fresh stuff they raided from local farms (the drumsticks), bread?

Potatoes came from the Incas and were introduced to Europe in the 1500s, so they wouldn't be particularly authentic... corn and tomatoes are also from the Americas...

thanks everybody! I like the idea of honey and dried apple for dessert. I think I will let them dip their bread in honey and put the dried apples on top. I would have never guessed about the ham so that is great. I do want to be authentic so I am bummed about the 20 lb bag of new potatoes from Costco I just drug into the house .Oh well...Thanks again!!