Menu

what do you do with books...

that your children have outgrown? I know some of them aren't even worth selling at a garage sale...some are keepsakes, but then there are those books that are great books but I just don't know what to do with them. Sure I could donate them to the library, but in my case, most of the books we have probably wouldn't get checked out enough and would be weeded soon (becasue they are classics, and it seems like here, NOBODY but us read such "old fashioned" books)...

so what should I do...we can't keep every good book...although I would LOVE to.

We have a used book store who does trade-ins. you get store credit to purchase other used books.

Books they do not take, I bring to our local homeschool group meetings. We always have a give-away box with clothes, toys and books, and most things find a new home.

Books that do not get picked up there I donate to a thrift store run by a local charity.

I have started using paperbackswap.com for books like that. It is great! I have gotten a few things we need for school for the price of postage for sending a book to someone else who wants it. Of course, this only works if you want different books and aren't looking to get rid of them altogether. For that, I would first offer them to other homeschool families, then drop the rest at Goodwill or another thrift store.

I do a children's consignment sale a couple of times a year for outgrown clothing, shoes, sports gear, toys, furniture, and anything kid related. I think homeschoolers must shop there quite a bit, and they include books. So I take some there to sell. And I find lots there to buy as well :)

that your children have outgrown? I know some of them aren't even worth selling at a garage sale...some are keepsakes, but then there are those books that are great books but I just don't know what to do with them. Sure I could donate them to the library, but in my case, most of the books we have probably wouldn't get checked out enough and would be weeded soon (becasue they are classics, and it seems like here, NOBODY but us read such "old fashioned" books)...

so what should I do...we can't keep every good book...although I would LOVE to.

I sell some at a used curriculum sale our coop has each year.

What is left over either goes onto Paperback Swap or goes to our local library.

The Friends of the Library group at our local branch gets tons of books. When good stuff comes in, they give the library a chance to add it to the collection. This is often a good way of replacing popular books that have gotten worn out. Then the Friends sell the rest at quarterly sales.

Our single branch raises enough money to fund all of the children's programing at the branch (puppet shows, animal visits, magicians, and other special events), give donations to the county book festival that helps to pay for author visits, pay for scout projects that benefit the library, give grants to other branches that need help and donate money to add to the collection at the local branch.

So even if your library doesn't add the book to the stacks, it can directly and indirectly be of great benefit. (And I know that our family has bought many classics at book sales over the years.)