Menu

Any experience with GE front-loading washing machines?

Our washer is still not working, after installing the new part the Sears repairman said we needed. Clearly that was not the problem. Dh does not want to pay the guy to come back when he couldn't figure it out the first time, and I don't blame him.

Dh wants to spend tomorrow troubleshooting the washer (we have info on how to do that from the internet) and see if he can fix it himself, because it SHOULD be fixable.

However, I have not been able to do laundry for a week. We are leaving on vacation a week from tomorrow. He's going to have to order a part and then install it... I *might* be able to do laundry next Friday, if I'm lucky.

He can get a discount on GE appliances through work. the thing is that Consumer Reports didn't even review GE front loaders - which makes me think that they might not be such a good deal, you know? Anyone have one and love/hate it?

Our washer is still not working, after installing the new part the Sears repairman said we needed. Clearly that was not the problem. Dh does not want to pay the guy to come back when he couldn't figure it out the first time, and I don't blame him.

Dh wants to spend tomorrow troubleshooting the washer (we have info on how to do that from the internet) and see if he can fix it himself, because it SHOULD be fixable.

However, I have not been able to do laundry for a week. We are leaving on vacation a week from tomorrow. He's going to have to order a part and then install it... I *might* be able to do laundry next Friday, if I'm lucky.

He can get a discount on GE appliances through work. the thing is that Consumer Reports didn't even review GE front loaders - which makes me think that they might not be such a good deal, you know? Anyone have one and love/hate it?

I have one, and I love mine. I recently had trouble with it and I got my owners manual out to check it out. It was actually the overflow valve...I used the wrong soap in it and it was too sudsy. That's been the only glitch in the year I've had it. It dripped suds out the back once and never again. I wish I could help you more on it. If you have to manual I'd get it out and look through it. They have troubleshooting on one of the pages. I keep my manual taped in my laundry room b/c there's just too much to remember about all the cycles!

Steph, thank you so much! Could you tell me which model you have? (If not, that's OK, I just have to order one and would love to know which one you like!)

The broken one is a Kenmore. Dh decided before leaving for work that we're just going to get a new one, as long as it can be here by Wednesday. So, I either have to pick a GE (which I can order from home in my pj's) or get everyone dressed and drag them off to Home Depot to see if there is a better deal there.