Menu

Mimimus

gracesteacher

I'll take a stab at this. I haven't actually used Minimus yet, but have it all here on my shelf ready to go. :-)

The Teacher's Manual has lesson plans in the first half, and then reproducible worksheets in the second half. The lesson plans give you the translation of the story for each chapter, answers to questions from the student text, background information, some ideas for additional activities. Since I don't have a Latin background, I got the TM, and will probably use it quite a bit when I implement the program.

After SSL I was thinking about moving Mimimus after. Will I need the TM or just the student guide and CD?

Thanks

Definitely get the TM! It added a lot to our Latin experience. Not only did it have the translations and background info to go along with the student book, but there were activities, worksheets, games and other extras. Also, we ended up getting the little readers for fun. We didn't do those at first, but now that we're doing Lively Latin and don't have much to do in the way of translation yet, the kids are enjoying their time translating the Minimus readers.

We used it as a supplement while we were doing MP Latina Christiana. It added some hands on experience and was fun. I think it can add a great deal another program. I never would have spent the money for the teacher's manual.

I have both the student and TM, but we haven't really gotten going with this yet. If you like, OP or Susan (or somebody else, I suppose!), I can enter the Teacher's Manual info [most of it, at least] from chapter 1 either tomorrow or over the weekend so y'all can assess its value -- please PM me if you'd like this, and I'll add it to the thread.

*** Please PM me if you have copyright concerns about this (esp. if you are the author!). I believe that sharing this information will benefit both this forum and the publisher/author of the book, but am open to hearing other opinions. ***

Minimus Teacher’s Resource Book, chapter 1. This has three main parts: a cartoon introducing the mouse Minimus to the household of Flavius; a story based on an artifact (a birthday invitation tablet) found at the Vindolanda excavation site; and a group of suggested activities. This first post covers the brief introductory material (the three lines immediately below) and the family introduction cartoon.

* subject matter: introductions, greetings,

* materials: activity sheets I-V

* grammar content: nouns

PICTURE STORY: WHO ARE YOU? (pp 2-3)

1. Minimus: I am Minimus. I am a mouse.

2. Minimus: Who are you?

…Lepidina: I am Lepidina. I am the mother.

3. Minimus: Who are you?

...Flavius: I am Flavius. I am the father.

4. Minimus: Who are you?

...Flavia: I am Flavia. I am the daughter.

5. Minimus: Who are you?

...Iulius: I am Iulius. I am the son.

6. Minimus: Who are you?

...Rufus: I am Rufus. I am a young child.

7. Minimus: Who are you?

...Candidus: I am Candidus.

...Corinthus: I am Corinthus.

...Candidus & Corinthus: We are slaves.

8. All: We are at Vindolanda!

9. Minimus: Who are you?

...Vibrissa: I am Vibrissa. I am a cat.

10. The mouse goes out.

This story is quite demanding. Explain to pupils that Minimus (the mouse) is meeting all the members of the family and asking who they are. Do encourage the pupils to guess the meaning -- the pictures will help. Point out the vocabulary support (Words To Help). It is a deliberate policy not to give every new word; unfamiliar words can often be guessed from the context.

The cat’s name (Vibrissa) means “Whiskersâ€.

Observant pupils will notice that the use of capital letters in Latin does not follow what they have been taught to do in English. In Latin, capitals are only used for the names of people and places -- not at the beginning of a sentence. You may wish to take this opportunity to revise [sic -- I think review is meant] the English rules for the use of capital letters and/or to introducte the concept of proper nouns.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Flavius Cerialis did not come from Rome but from Batavia (now the Netherlands). He commanded the ninth cohort of Batavians. We know that Flavius and Pepidina, the prefect and his wife, had three children. The children’s actual names and ages are not known, but in theis course we have called them Flavia (aged 16), Iulius (aged 13) and Rufus (aged 3). Flavius is envisaged to be about 40, and Lepidina 32.

Throughout the book, Flavius Cerialis will be referred to as Flavius, for ease of pronunciation. His house is currently being excavated at Vindolanda. Those who visit the site, and who wish to see his house, and read correspondence to and from him, should of course bear in mind his full name. Many of the letters are addressed to “Dear Cerialis …â€

From the correspondence between slaves which has been discovered, we know that the slaves at Vindolanda were mostl educated. Corinthus is a Greek slave, whereas Candidus is Celtic. Their different clothes are meant to reflect this. Corinthus is wearing a tunic decorated with the Greek key pattern. He is frequently seen writing or reading; he teaches the children to read and write in chapter 4, as well as acting as a secretary. His age is 42. Candidus is skilled in a different way; he is an excellent cook and is therefore a valuable slave. He is also good at making things and, in chapter 7, he makes a wooden sword for Rufus. He is 36. Pandora, the new slave girl who arrives in chapter 3, is 25, and a skilled hairdresser.

Each of the children wears a bulla. This was a lucky charm, worn around the neck. On his comming of age, a boy would dedicate his bulla to the household gods, and a girl would do the same on the eve of her marriage.

GRASP THE GRAMMAR

This chapter focuses on nouns. A noun is defined here as ‘a naming word for a person, a place or a thing’. The exercise on Latin boys’ and girls’ names (ending in -us and -a respectively) is a gentle introduction to the concept of gender, which will be developed in later chpaters.

Here are some possible Roman names for pupils to use:

Boys: Augustus, Cassius, Catullus, Claudius, Fabius, Germanicus, Marcus, Neptununs, Paulus, Remus, Romulus, Tacitus, Tiberius, Vergilius.

Girls: Agrippina, Anna, Camilla, Cassandra, Diana, Drusilla, Flora, Helena, Horatia, Iulia, Lavinia, Lucia, Marcia.

This covers the second part of the lesson, an actual birthday invitation found at the Vindolanda excavation site and the fictitious events surrounding the birthday ...

PICTURE STORY

THE BIRTHDAY PARTY

Dearest Lepidina,

On 11th of September, come to my birthday. Goodbye, sister, my soul,

Claudia

(there is some evidence to suggest that Lepidina and Claudia were in fact sisters.)

1. Lepidina: Hello, Claudia!

...Claudia: Hello, everyone!

2. Claudia: Hello, Rufus!

3. Claudia: You are very welcome. Come! I have a present for you.

4. Lepidina: And I have a present for you.

...Flavia: Happy Birthday! (literally, ‘May there be a happy day for you!’)

5. Claudia: I thank you. How beautiful it is!

...Rufus: But what is it?

6. Claudia: It is Medusa.

...Rufus: But who is Medusa?

Claudia: It is the famous Medusa. (or “Medusa is famous.’) Sit down, everyone! Once upon a time...

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

The photograph on page 5 shows what the full birthday invitation looked like when it was found at Vindolanda. Writing tablets like these were found on a Roman bonfire. The soldiers decided to destroy all their records before they left the site. Fortunately, a heavy fall of rain and strong winds put out the fire and the burnt remains of these tablets are very helpful when trying to build up a picture of what life was like for those people who lived near Hadrian’s Wall.

It is difficult to read the writing on the tablet because it is written on wood and cannot be seen except with infra-red photography. It has no punctuation or word-divisions and some of the script is hard to decipher. In addition, the Latin is written in the cursive script. (There is more information on this as well as an ativity sheet (XV) in chapter 4.) In this letter, the earliest Latin written by a woman in the whole Roman Empire, most of the writing was done by a scribe, but Claudia added her own farewell and her name, in a rather shaky hand.

LATIN ROOTS: ANSWERS (see activity sheet V)

1. maternal (from mater) means ‘motherly’. Some pupils might like this, some not!

2. service (from servi, ‘slaves’). Service stations provide essential help and serve us.

3. pater noster means ‘Our Father’ -- the Lord’s Prayer

4. infantile (from infans) means ‘childish’. Teacher would be angry.

5. feline (from feles) means cat-like. Yes, you would be surprised.

6. Three times per diem means three times a day.

This third section is Suggested Activities which are general to the unit, and provide for cross-curriculum extensions. If you want to extend your Latin study into a well-rounded Social/Cultural studies program this would be esp. valuable.

SUGGESTED ACTIVITIES

HISTORY

Ask pupils to consider which materials would be likely to survive being buried in the soil for nearly 2,000 years. Organic materials, such as leather and wood, which normally decay in Britain’s damp climate, have survived at Vindolanda because of a lucky combination of circumstances.

ART (see activity sheets III and IV)

Roman women wore a lot of jewellery. Some jewellery that may have been worn by Lepidina is in the museum at Vindolanda.

At this time, Roman women wore their hair long, tied up off the face.

Lepidina wore a long tunica (tunic) and a palla (cloak) when it was cold.

Lepidina’s beautiful, small leather sandals have also been found at Vindolanda.

MUSIC:

The pupils will enjoy singing ‘Happy Birthday’ in Latin. The words are as follows:

felix dies tibi sit

felix dies tibi sit

felix dies care (for a boy)/cara (for a girl)

_______(name)

felix dies tibi sit.

ENGLISH

Ask the pupils to write an imaginary conversation between Lepidina and her friend Claudia, who is celebrating her birthday. Give them the following information to work with:

-- the two women are great friends but can’t see each other very often, because of the difficulties and dangers of travel in the Roman world.

-- both of their husbands (Flavius and Aelius) are important men in charge of a fort. They are wealthy, educated men who canenjoy the best that money can buy. They like rech food, served in elegant surroundings. It seems likely that Flavius even entertained toe Governor of Britain at th ecamp.

-- Rich Roman women did not do paid work. Their job was to run the home and to be incharge of the food, meals and slaves. Often they would spin and weave. Soindle whorls (the heavy weights which hold down tht wool),weaving combs and needle-cases have all been found at Vindolanda. Lepidina would also be busy looking after her three children.

After sutdying the myth of Perseus and Medusa, pupils could write acrostic poems (i.e. where the initial letter of each line forms the word ‘Perseus’ or ‘Medusa’), giving the main elements of the story, for example:

Medusa was a monster,

Everyone was afraid of her.

Death was the fate of …

Pupils can then illustrate their poems or add a border of snakes.

DESIGN

Ask the children to design a head of Medusa, remembering to include the hissing snakes. It is meant to be so frightening that it turns men into stone!

NB: the word ‘petrify’ means literally ‘to make into stone’. In the New Testament, Jesus said he would make Peter the rock (petrus) of his church.

The story of Perseus and Medusa was very popular among the Romans. Medusa’s head can be found in many mosaics, paintings, and even on rooftiles on Roman sites.

DRAMA

The pupils will enjoy acting out the story of Perseus and Medusa. Working in groups of three, one pupil can narrate the story while the other two mime the parts of Perseus and Medusa. Perseus will need a shield and winged sandals if possible.

GEOGRAPHY

Use the map of the Roman Empire (see activity sheets XXII) and a modern atlas. Write a list of the countries which once belonged to the Roman Empire.

-- Just a note that I'll put material from chapter 1 of the TM up sometime this weekend, 'cause folks are interested --

:)

Thanks for the long posts of the chapter 1 of the TM. I'll definately need the teacher's manual if my kids change their mind about latin.

Did you see the homeschool pageson the author's website? Someone started a homeschool Minimus club in California.

ETA:

Author's resource page http://www.minimus-etc.co.uk/resources_page.htm

Ohh thank you!!! I think the Teacher's Guide sounds like it would be definitely a benefit!

:) So glad it was useful! I was thinking of you and your thread on Seton & WTM as I typed it up. It does seem to have the sort of information and suggestions and discussion questions that can move a study of Latin into a study of Classical culture, and given your interest in incorporating classical ed. elements & ideas I thought you might like it.

In my various Minimus Google adventures, I came across this page with a lot of free Latin resources listed, and links to many many Latin helps generally

Fr. Coulter's Latin page

which isn't the Minimus TR, exactly, but it is immediately accessible & free :). I hate that the TR costs so much ...

:) So glad it was useful! I was thinking of you and your thread on Seton & WTM as I typed it up. It does seem to have the sort of information and suggestions and discussion questions that can move a study of Latin into a study of Classical culture, and given your interest in incorporating classical ed. elements & ideas I thought you might like it.

In my various Minimus Google adventures, I came across this page with a lot of free Latin resources listed, and links to many many Latin helps generally

Fr. Coulter's Latin page

which isn't the Minimus TR, exactly, but it is immediately accessible & free :). I hate that the TR costs so much ...

Thank you very much!! I have a lot of research to do!!

We couldn't do it without the TM. The translation of everything is in there. However, we have not used the CD (actually we have the tape) at all. Did anyone use the CD? I think you can totally do it without the CD. I don't even know what it's for.

We also have the Minibooks. We haven't used them yet. Does anyone know when is a time to read those? After the whole book is finished, or do they go hand in hand with some of the lessons? Or does it matter? (I was thinking if the story line fits somehow with the story that is already in Minimus then it would matter when they are introduced, otherwise it wouldn't as long as most of the vocabulary has been covered in the lessons before you read a particular Minibook). Has anyone else used them?

I have both the TM and the cd. I would definately recommend the TM despite the price. I just wish it was cheaper. "I" could do without the cd - it is a reading of the latin passages. My daughter, however, loves the cd and it truely is an improvement over me reading the latin passages.

We also have the Minibooks. We haven't used them yet. Does anyone know when is a time to read those? After the whole book is finished, or do they go hand in hand with some of the lessons? Or does it matter? (I was thinking if the story line fits somehow with the story that is already in Minimus then it would matter when they are introduced, otherwise it wouldn't as long as most of the vocabulary has been covered in the lessons before you read a particular Minibook). Has anyone else used them?

:bigear:

I see the minibooks on the Minimus website. Are they available anywhere else? Did those of you who own them purchase them there or elsewhere?

After seeing the excerpt above I can't imagine myself trying to do it without the TM. The CD I'd probably get for pronunciation help.

I go the minbooks through the Minimus website. As for pronounciation, no one is really sure exactly how it was pronounced back then (remember it's a dead language). I wouldn't sweat over pronouncing things right, because really there is no right or wrong. We tried for so long to pronounce the v as w even though it sounded weird to me (because that's what SSL taught us), but really you can pronounce it as just v (and there's many other examples like this one). Pronounce however it feels natural to you, and skip the CD if you want to save a bit of money, but like everyone said the TM is a must.