Menu

Have you curriculum hopped, only to

Go back to what you started with?

Asking for a friend. :ph34r:

Just kidding, it's me. Just someone tell me you are as crazy as I am. We started out with Singapore, switched to math mammoth, then mathematical reasoning, and DS is asking, and I agree with him, that we go back to Singapore.

We attempted SOTW our first year of HSing (in our 3rd now), but my heart wasn't in it. I came back to it near the end of last year after reading TWTM again and after deciding to use CHOLL alongside it. We now love it and will keep going through the full cycle with it. I think changing our minds is all part of the journey of discovering what works for our families. There is no shame in trying some things and then going back to an original choice. You are finding what works.

How do you know what works for your kids unless you try it?

I'm having the most trouble with math...I haven't found something that works yet. We tried an Australian program....no retention...tried MM...again no retention and DD was unable to get the concepts. I just got Singapore in the mail. I bought it for my DS who finished K math in one term to see if it fit him. DD took a look and begged to do it to (they are on the same math level). So we did the first chapter and they both begged for more....which never happens with math at our house.

Of course then I looked at at MUS and I think my DD would do great with the visuals LOL. So now I am considering that for her.

I think I will try Singapore for a bit though and see how it goes. MUS is so expensive.

I am so NOT a math person....I need so etching that is very self explanatory or I will never be able to teach it.

I bought RightStart for K and then did not like it. My sons knew enough to go ahead and start Singapore Math for 1st grade so I did that and I really wanted to use SM. I found that I need something that is laid out for me more and my sons need more repetition. I tried Math Mammoth and I really liked it but my sons hated it. Now we are using CLE Math and I like it pretty well. They seem to need at least some of this kind of repetition. It helps their confidence and their retention. They also just seem to understand it better when a theme (so to speak) is taught across the board, such learning to count nickels and dimes while also learning how to tell time and other things that might fit together like that.

I recently took a couple of weeks off of CLE and went back to SM to cover a certain topic because I liked how SM taught it. But then we returned to CLE Math and we are still trucking along, although there are times when I think we should maybe do every other lesson because there is sooo much repetition.

I've done it.

RightStart A and B, Math in Focus which is similar to Singapore, back to RightStart for 1/2 of C, then to Math in Focus again. This I don't particularly regret except for the money spent to try to cobble some RS methods into MIF before I finally just bought C.

HOD 1 year, my own stuff 2 years, HOD again for maybe a month at a new level, then back to my own stuff. I do wish I hadn't done that hop.

Yep. Several things, most notably switching from AAS to Apples & Pears, to AAS, back to Apples & Pears. :laugh: I think we'll be sticking with Apples & Pears now.

We also used MM a couple of times because I like the way it teaches, but DD just doesn't retain the info, so we are now doing CLE, but I still have MM4 because I downloaded it before switching (again).

The first curriculum purchase I made for my daughter was Sonlight in Kindergarten. She will be in 7th grade next year and I am awaiting a shipment from Sonlight that is due to arrive tomorrow. I have been through multiple math programs though and we are sticking with Teaching Textbooks. The first math program I used was Horizons or Abeka and I don't want to go back to those.

I started homeschooling in the mid 90s. I sometimes still go back and use something that I used way back then. Right now I'm back to using Arithmetic Made Simple. Henle Latin, Machen's New Testament Greek for Beginners 1st edition, Saxon Algebra 1, Learning English with the Bible have all been returned to over and over, and were books I used my first year.

Yep. Sonlight.

Used SL with oldest two dd's when they were in 2nd and 1st. Then we went around the mulberry bush, tried other things. Went back to SL. Then tried other things. Then went back to SL.

Sonlight keeps calling us back. So this is where we are are. I'm looking forward to schooling my little ones with SL all the way through. It's like I get a second chance to do what I wish I'd done with my olders.

Spelling!!!

First week of homeschool, we did R&S Spelling 2. I thought it was too easy (for my first grader who wasn't a natural speller), and I didn't see any phonics instruction, which my kid needed (he read well, but needed phonics for spelling).

Second week of homeschool, we switched to Sequential Spelling. Then kid started asking "why" things were spelled like they were, and I didn't have enough teacher training to answer those questions in the long term.

Third week of homeschool, we switched to All About Spelling, which had been my FIRST curriculum choice before I started homeschooling, and I had just talked myself out of it. This worked well for us, so we kept going for almost a year.

Then I was getting bored, AAS moved slow, and DS wasn't really needing an O-G program, so we tried some other things, and eventually landed back on.... R&S Spelling 3. :D

We're now happily using R&S Spelling 4, and I plan to stick with it. I also plan to get R&S Spelling 2 for my middle son, who IS getting good phonics instruction, so the random words will be ok for one year. ;) Not sure when he'll start it... probably whenever he's reading well enough to do so. He'll be first grade next year.

And you know what? I did something similar with R&S English... Started with the grade 2 book, decided I didn't like it, went to FLL1/2/3, with some R&S English 3 mixed in there somewhere, then KISS Level 1, then came back to R&S English 4. I plan to use 5 next year.

I think R&S is the only publisher with whom I've experienced this. :lol: