Menu

Is there a Catholic HOD type curriculum?

Meadowlark

I love many aspects of HOD, mainly that it's open and go. I have 5 kids 6 and under and so I NEED something that pulls it all together for me and requires little prep. But, some of the left side stuff (bible study) is not to my liking. We are Catholic and would substitute that out anyway, but then the other stuff may not tie in anymore, which is the whole point. Thoughts?

Have you looked at Mother of Divine Grace? They sell full syllabi or you can enroll. They are Catholic, classical and CM-influenced. It may work for you. You can combine kids in the science and history, but the skill subjects would still need to be separate. Www.emmanuelbooks.com has all the booklists for each grade, and you can buy most of your list from them, if you want to.

CHC sells syllabi and has some really good materials, but it is not as literature-based. It is not classical. It is more a mesh of CM and traditional. Up through 4th grade has a unit studies twist in history, and those programs are a lot of fun to do. And their religion extras are terrific. But 5th and up moves to pretty traditional textbook, great textbooks, but still textbook.

So it depends on which part of HOD you like and are trying to replicate.

Seton home study school is also traditional and unabashedly Catholic.

To the OP: I noticed that your kids are 6 and under. I'm not familiar with HOD, so I can't compare it to anything, but I have friends who use Seton, and they've said that it's very "open and go" in the early grades.

Basically, I love how the right side is organized. So far I've liked th math, literature selections, and when I look in the upper guides, I just like how they have chosen quality academic materials. I also like the check off the box daily format.

What I'm not fond of, is the bible study, and the bible stories. I'm not getting the cohesiveness of the left side.

Basically, I love how the right side is organized. So far I've liked th math, literature selections, and when I look in the upper guides, I just like how they have chosen quality academic materials. I also like the check off the box daily format.

What I'm not fond of, is the bible study, and the bible stories. I'm not getting the cohesiveness of the left side.

You seem similar to me, so I'm sharing this is a post I wrote on another thread recently. If you have any ?s about MODG you can PM me.

Well I admit that having a best friend that uses MODG and is one year ahead of me helped a lot in my choice. I was able to look over all of her items and listen to her experience. Here is the 3rd grade booklist. Here is the 3rd grade Emmanuel Books page. (note they add in some extras and other options.) Here is the 4th grade booklist. Here is the 4th grade Emmanuel Books page. There are syllabus samples on the MODG page. I preferred the planner to the syllabus for 3rd grade. This was actually the main reason finally went with MODG and even switched to the math in the syllabus. I needed something already planned that we could just check off. I only adjusted Language Arts, though next year I'm going to switch to their language arts, so I don't even need to adjust that. I also joined an MODG yahoo group and really feel confident on easing into grammar after hearing advice from these moms that have done MODG for so many years.

We had already done ancient history, so the American history was a great addition to our homeschool. I do add in a few things, but for the most part I'm happy to follow the curriculum.

The four reasons I'm very happy about enrolling are 1) All of the syllabi are online and I can print out where we are each week, 2) instead of starting Latina Christiana for 4th, my son will do their inhouse online Latin class, 3) I will have official records which I like, and 4) she chooses the most efficient and appropriate texts for each age/year.

Laura Berquist offers online classes on her program from time to time. I just sat in on the 3rd to 5th grade class, and it was very helpful.

But if someone were interested in HOD-like teaching/learning, Seton wouldn't be at the top of the list of Catholic alternatives. :-)

As I didn't know a thing about HoD and said so, I offered a solution for the OTHER part of her question which was boxed and go and Catholic. :)

You could check out Build Your Library - it's easy to combine ages, since it's literature based. It's secular, so that makes it very easy to add in your own religion materials. I personally use the Faith and LIfe series with my kids. We just read a chapter each week and I have them narrate it back to me.

What a nice site! I wish I had younger kids now!

:-)

I didn't see "boxed." :-) Seton is certainly "boxed." :)

You're right, that was not the exact word she used, but was the "feel" of what she meant that I went off of. We should be precise in what word was used. Her word was "open and go" which to me, implied "boxed".

Have you tried asking on the HOD Yahoo group if there are any Catholics using it? I'm pretty sure I have seen some ladies on there say they were Catholic. Maybe they could give you a better idea of how they are making HOD work for them. Just a thought anyways. :)

MODG looks lovely on paper, but I could never figure out how it's supposed to work for families with several children. Each child is assigned something completely different from the others in terms of poetry, hymns, science experiments, art, religion, etc. I tried to come up with a way to combine them, but blew a brain fuse. ;)

From what I've read on these boards, HOD users tend to run into the same problem. Just something to keep in mind.