Menu

Opinions on Twilight?

I read the first book while we were at the beach. It's not great writing. The plot is ok, but not terribly inventive. Nowhere did I think stalking was romanticized. I can't even imagine where in the book the idea of stalking even comes into play. It's a vampire book and badly written, imo. Kind of a fun read if you don't want to think, but nothing more.

i feel that they are not 'teen' books as they are marketed. the stalking aspect didn't occur to me, but i don't like how obsessed the main character is with her boyfriend. it is a bit sexually suggestive for teens too, in my opinion.

i enjoyed them, but i did not expect much. in fact, my book club read it or i would never have picked it up. but in all honesty, i came to care about the characters quickly, badly written or not, and i have read the other 2. i wanted to know what would happen to them! it was definitely not predictable.

I don't think Twilight romanticizes stalking, but I could see someone making that argument about Eclipse (the third book).

I don't think these books are great books* but they are great fun. Although I am reading them as an adult. I would completely freak if my teen daughter had a relationship with her boyfriend like Bella has with Edward. :angry::ohmy::willy_nilly::svengo:

* Meyers overwrites. If you look at the outtakes on the web site, you can see that her editors have reined her in a bit, but enough.

I don't think Twilight romanticizes stalking, but I could see someone making that argument about Eclipse (the third book).

I don't think these books are great books* but they are great fun. Although I am reading them as an adult. I would completely freak if my teen daughter had a relationship with her boyfriend like Bella has with Edward.

* Meyers overwrites. If you look at the outtakes on the web site, you can see that her editors have reigned her in a bit, but enough.

I agree with Melinda. I have read all three of these books, and I am on the wait list at the library for #4. I thought book #2 was not good at all- the whole story should have taken 25 pages. I did enjoy the third book though.

I don't think stalking is romanticized at all.

I like the books. I'm looking forward to Book #4. (Tomorrow!)

They're not great literaure, but they're very fun vacation reads. I couldn't put "Twilight" down, when I first read it. I loved how it reminded me of falling in love with dh.

I don't see how they romanticize stalking. That would be the least of my objections, I think.

I'm absolutely crazy about them! In fact, I just got back from picking up my wristband for the release of Breaking Dawn (the 4th book) tonight.

I don't think it romanticizes stalking, and I don't think they are sexually suggestive. There is no sex at all, and the main male character is adamant about being married before there is an attempt at a sexual relationship. The intensity of the romance and the passion the main characters feel for each other is very strong, which is the reason my 9 year old has to wait to read these books when she has been allowed to read LOTR, Narnia, and Harry Potter.

I like the writing, but I'm also not well-versed in the classics, so maybe my standards are low. But these books have inspired me to read the classics because the main female character LOVES the classics so much and refers to them often in the series. I'm going to blog about and maybe start a little online book club... the link is already in my signature (Bella's Bookshelf) though I won't have time to get started until later in the fall.

They are a lot of fun, and they make me smile (and cry, and laugh, and think)! That's important to me! :)