Menu

Can the WWE workbook be used without the book?

mo2

I only ask because I am on an extremely limited budget right now. I would purchase the book later, but for right now, could I get by with just the workbook?

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't have time to search all 38 pages fo the WWE thread.

"For me" if I had to choose it would be the workbook. I have both and I like the workbook because it's scripted & everything is there. I don't have to find passages or figure things out on my own:001_smile:

I'll double check in the morning, but there was a thread that mentioned you don't 'have' to have both. I'll have to see if I can find it tomorrow.

I think it depends on what you want. I need the day by day instruction, telling me what to do. WWE alone wouldn't work for me.

HTH,

Well, the reason I want the workbook is so that everything will be planned out for me. I also work, have a toddler, and we live on a farm, so my planning time is also limited. :) I still intend to purchase the teachers book (perhaps in a few months) but can I go ahead and start the program with the workbook, or will I be confused without the TM?

Well, the reason I want the workbook is so that everything will be planned out for me. I also work, have a toddler, and we live on a farm, so my planning time is also limited. :) I still intend to purchase the teachers book (perhaps in a few months) but can I go ahead and start the program with the workbook, or will I be confused without the TM?

You can start without the TM. All the reading passages, narration, dictation and what you are to say(scripted) is in the workbook.

The TM (WWE) is great if you have the time to do all the footwork. Like you mentioned getting it later is fine. I have both and since the workbooks has everything I don't see myself picking up the TM much.

I am just using the TM. I decided not to get the workbook for time reasons not cost. I already have a read aloud time with my son and we do weekly readings in science, history, fables and poetry so I have plenty of sources for writing lessons. If I added the workbook and a third reading I feel that it would be too much.

With the main book I can just doing the writing lesson as part of another subject - especially the narrations. In the tenth week of the first year, I can start using narrations for the copywork - this can be easily incorporated into a lesson. One day I read a literary book connected to our history lesson and ask my son to narrate a portion of it, using the TM's week by week suggestions as a guide. The next day, I start the history lesson with copying some or all of his narration. I can do this for science as well. as I have "writing" done without needing to devote a time slot for it.

The added benefit with this method is that the TM is for four years and reusable. One book for two boys works out to $2 a year per student for writing. There are about 5 weeks of lessons per year in the TM book done for you that you can use as benchmarks.

Jill

I think it depends on each individual person and how they teach. For me what is in the WWE book does not come naturally for me. I wouldn't be able to use it without the workbooks. I am the type of person who also needs things to be scheduled in a step by step plan like the WWE workbooks. I love how it's scripted, the passages are all there and the student pages are ready for me to pick up and go.

I would love to use WWE with my 5th grader but because there is not a workbook yet for level 3 & 4, I'll continue with Writing Strands.

For me purchasing the workbook and using the student pages for the rest of my dc is a BIG time saver and a way to get it done :)

HTH,

I only ask because I am on an extremely limited budget right now. I would purchase the book later, but for right now, could I get by with just the workbook?

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't have time to search all 38 pages fo the WWE thread.

I think so. The fist workbook was sent to me in error. It really has complete lesson plans with scripting. I think the WWE text would be useful to fully understand the process and for later years, but the workbook would work on it's own.

Go for the workbook. If you want to know the master plan, the what's and whys then buy the textbook. However, if you trust SWB then save yourself money and reading time. Buy the workbook which has all of the directions in it. It's like a teacher manual and workbook in one, just without the why's.

I personally haven't read the text yet. I did enjoy listening to her writing cd. When I skimmed the text it looked to be a more in depth discussion on that. Now that I know where she's coming from, I'm very happy just going along with her workbooks.

Alison in KY