Menu

Phonics Help Please

Guest gracefullily

Guest gracefullily

I need help choosing between these three curricula to teach my daughters 5 and 7 to read. I am deciding between Phonics Pathways, Horizons Phonics, and Phonics Road to Reading and Spellings. Please tell me any opionions you have of these choices. Thanks!!

I've been very pleased with Phonics Pathways and have used it to teach 3 of my dc to read. I'm not one for scripted things so PP suited me well. I did buy the Pyramids book and used the Bob books for the kids to have practice. As they got further along I also used the Christian Liberty Press phonics readers as well. In the beginning I also made use of the games in PP and that seemed to help with the initial learning of the vowels and blending and made it more fun for the dc. I always recommend PP when people are asking about a reading program. You can let your dc go as slow or fast as each particular child needs. Since I used PP when my dc were 5 yo, I didn't have them do the writing part. We just did it orally. HTHs.

Blessings,

I used Phonics Pathways to teach my ds to read. I liked its flexibility; he enjoyed the lessons and took off on his own part way through the book.

We'd tried 100 Easy Lessons and both hated it.

My favorite curriculum when my dc were younger was Spell to Write and Read, which I believe is similar to your Phonics Road. I don't know how they are different, but I loved how SWR taught spelling and reading, with real spelling rules and phonics. It was truly a blessing to give my children this background in their education.

My son did not learn a lot from PP... but that is because he was not ready for it yet. That part of his brain was just not there yet. I learned a whole lot from it!:D When I was taught in school it was by sight so I did not learn phonics rules but going over Phonics Pathways with my son made me a much better speller because now I know phonics rules. But anyway I am going over it with him again this year. He is almost eight and he can read now but I want him to memorize the rules to help him with his spelling in the future. I think he can memorize the rules now and will understand them much better. I think it is a great book very simple, easy and straight forward.