Menu

Math games, ideas to help my very right brained 7 y/o dd

momsuz123

Yep, she fits the definition of a right brain learner to a tee! We are doing much better in math since we started Math on the Level. She actually begs for math. Huge difference. Although I am moving around finding her strengths/weaknesses and going from there...I see her needing something to help her really "get it". We did Miquon math, but she got "bored" with it. I have been looking at Math By Hand, and am really liking all the fun manipulatives she has. We play a lot of games, any new great games out there I don't know about yet? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can you tell us which Shut the Box version to buy? There seem to be variations on the numbers of shutters, etc. Thanks.

DS has the double one. You can flip over the first row and simply use one row. You could improvise too and make up your own game using dice and playing cards. Roll and flip over the cards as they are added together. You can also multiply the numbers and improvise with division/subtraction if you wanted to get seriously crazy. Go over to youtube and watch a demonstration of the basic rules.

I also wanted to mention Qwirkle.

I have instructions to several math games on my website, if you're interested:

Thank you for the link! I'd seen your avatar and thought it was just a pix of a book you liked -- I didn't realize this was you!

So, if I buy your book on Smashwords, I download to my computer and can then get it as a Kindle book, pdf, or iBooks format, etc without additional purchase?

Thank you for the link! I'd seen your avatar and thought it was just a pix of a book you liked -- I didn't realize this was you!

So, if I buy your book on Smashwords, I download to my computer and can then get it as a Kindle book, pdf, or iBooks format, etc without additional purchase?

Yes, on Smashwords you can download the Kindle book, epub and pdf (all three, if you want!) and go back to get updates at any time. The latest version is always available, which is nice since I'm still making changes (until whenever the paperback is finished).

The downside is: the Smashwords files are created by an automatic program, which they call the "Meatgrinder", and the result can be a bit funky. It was designed to work with simple books like novels, and it didn't handle very well the endnotes, cross-references, and multiple layers of sub-headings that make up a nonfiction book. I managed to edit and resubmit the epub file, so I think it's working now (please let me know if you find errors!), but it's the only file that Smashwords will let me tweak by hand. If you read on a Kindle, the hand-formatted file at Amazon.com is much more pleasant to read.

But unfortunately, Amazon does not automatically give customers a new version when I update the file. For instance, I just uploaded some major changes (including this blog post and an big expansion of the high school math chapter) last night, and I sent an email to Amazon's customer support begging them to release the new file to old customers. We'll see what happens... Of course, new customers get the most recent file, and I'm also posting all major additions to my blog (the stuff on high school will go up sometime next week, when I get it transferred), so anyone who liked the book well enough to subscribe won't miss anything. Still I wish Amazon would allow old customers to update if they wanted.