Menu

2nd grade language arts

Mom2pandc

I'm at a total loss. My daughter is a young 1st grader and this is our first year homeschooling. We chose LOE for this year (essentials at a modified 1 lesson per week pace). She is doing awesome with it. I keep saying I will drop the grammar when it gets too difficult, but as of now we are on lesson 25 and she has such a good grasp of finding not only nouns, verbs, etc....but she can say if they are the subject noun, direct object, indirect object, action verb, transitive verb, etc. This just blows my mind.

I plan on finishing the book before we move onto something else next school year, but where do I go from here? Her reading ability has really taken off compared to what it was, but she is probably only at about a second grade level which is great but not prodigy if you know what I mean.

I guess what I'm asking is if I try to do grammar that goes back to every sentence begins with a capital letter she will not be happy.

I'd love something all inclusive with readers, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, etc (all except handwriting, I'm fine doing that on my own) but am definitely open to piecing it together. I love the readers from sonlight but just don't think the meat is there with the other aspects. Maybe just have her work though those books as readers and use something else for grammar?

I'm going to Cincinnati next week so I'm looking for ideas of what I should look at in person!

Thanks!