Menu

Cutting boards question

Element

I can't remember seeing anything controversial about cutting boards here, so I'm assuming it's safe to ask this question. ;)

We are a family of grazers and I use my cutting board several times daily (though never for raw meat. I'm mostly talking about fruits and vegetables.) For years, I have been washing it after every use with soap and hot water, but I was wondering if this is normal and proper use of a cutting board. (FWIW, I have a thick wooden cutting board and I protect it occasionally with food-grade mineral oil. Also, I don't have a dishwasher.)

If you use your cutting board several times every day, do you wash it after each use? If so, do you wash it with soap and hot water or just rinse it off?

We also use wood. If there's juice stuff (say, oranges) or goo (say, avocados) I'll use soap and water. If it's bread or apples or something, I just use my hand to or a dry towel to wipe the crumbs into the compost bin. Then it'll get washed with water and soap at the end of the day. Or beginning of the next morning if I'm behind LOL.

I have a cutting board that's ONLY for meat, and it's labeled as such. The rest of the cutting boards are game for anything, multiple-use encouraged.

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking: Do I really need to wash this after every apple or bread slicing? Some days it feels like I wash it 8+ times. It just seemed excessive. So perhaps I don't need to wash it quite as often as I do.

I usually just wash ours once a day. If there is some really messy fruit, then I'll probably wash it unless I'm in the middle of prepping a lot and then I'll just wipe it off with the towel and keep on going. It and the knife gets washed each night. We're always cutting up breads or fruits or cheese or something.