Menu

PLEASE help me with appetizers for a progressive dinner!

momto3innc

My street (8-10 adults) is having a progressive dinner this coming weekend and I've got issues.

The issues:

1. My neighbors are "foodies". Super nice foodies. I know they will be going all out on their courses. I feel like I'm a fairly good cook, but they are REALLY into food. Which leads to my next issue...

2. I have all sorts of food allergies (dairy, egg, soy, wheat). So I do not typically cook nor eat traditional appetizers. I do NOT need to cater to my needs at all (I would much rather have "normal" foods and not try to make them allergy friendly since it's only for me), but I really cannot be taste testing, you know? So I don't really want to try out some random thing off pinterest when I can't taste test it (my husband can taste stuff but he likes anything). So I'm looking for tried and true recipes if you have any.

3. I'm would like to do wine with it...and I don't drink. I'm glad to get a couple bottles, but seriously have NO idea what to buy. I was thinking a red and a white? But which kind??? And what would be a nice non-alcoholic drink or two to have as well?

Ideas? I'd probably like to have at least 3 appetizers. Plus maybe I'd put out some olives or grapes or nuts? Thoughts on kinds of nuts or olives?

I had thought of a baked brie since that seems popular. Seems like I could do it with a pastry over it or without one? What with it? Maybe crusty bread and apples? Or if I have a couple other cheeses/crackers out do you have ideas of what other kinds of cheese?

HELP!

(oh and the other courses are soup/salad, main course, dessert)

I've got a much-easier-than-it looks appetizer for you that is amazing! The beef can totally be made in advance. When I made these for a wedding reception, I marinated the beef overnight, cooked it up early in the day, and then served it much later in the day. They really looked amazing, and tasted even better than they looked. Rice crackers are so crispy crunchy, and they hold really, really well. I could assemble these a few hours ahead of time and go on doing other things. For some added fun, when I served these, I also sprinkled the top with black sesame seeds, which I found in the Asian aisle of my grocery store.

Oh, and I used half the amount of wasabi called for. You could still taste it, but it wasn't so in your face.

Beef Teriyaki Crisps with Wasabi Mayonnaise

I've got a much-easier-than-it looks appetizer for you that is amazing! The beef can totally be made in advance. When I made these for a wedding reception, I marinated the beef overnight, cooked it up early in the day, and then served it much later in the day. They really looked amazing, and tasted even better than they looked. Rice crackers are so crispy crunchy, and they hold really, really well. I could assemble these a few hours ahead of time and go on doing other things. For some added fun, when I served these, I also sprinkled the top with black sesame seeds, which I found in the Asian aisle of my grocery store.

Oh, and I used half the amount of wasabi called for. You could still taste it, but it wasn't so in your face.

Beef Teriyaki Crisps with Wasabi Mayonnaise

These look awesome--thanks!!!

if you want to go super easy you could get several kinds of cheeses. Not sure where you live but a lot of larger cities have specialty cheese stores or you could go to somewhere like Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. A lot of times at the cheese stores or the Whole Foods there is someone that can help you figure out what to buy. Get some fancy crackers and fig paste (really good with cheese) and you’re set. Not the cheapest way to go, but easy. Most of the cheese places also sell wine and can help with that too. I don’t drink wine but I’ve always had good luck when just asking someone to help me with what to buy. Either that or I’ve had polite guests. :)

Baked brie in pastry is also very easy. This recipe comes from a friend, it’s from some cookbook but I don’t know the original source.

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed

1 4 ounce wedge of Brie, each about 6 1/2 long by 1 1/2 inches wide at rind end

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup butter

3 tablespoons honey

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out puff pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. to form 12 inch square, Cut diagonally to form two triangles. Discard one triangle (or you can make two wedges of Brie and double the other ingredients for the sauce). Place 1 Brie wedge in triangle with tip of wedge facing toward 90 degree angle of triangle. Pull up and fold puff pastry loosely to enclose cheese. Pinch edges of pastry gently to seal. Press with fork to seal seams completely. Transfer pastry wrapped Brie to cookie sheet, seam side up. Brush pastry with egg glaze. (Can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead and the covered and refrigerated until ready to bake.)

Bake until pastry is golden, about 18 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine butter, honey and garlic in saucepan over low heat. Stir until butter melts. Put about half the sauce on a plate. Top with Brie. Drizzle remaining sauce over Brie and top with walnuts.

Always a favorite around here and quick and easy. From Heart of the Home, by Susan Branch

Hot Cherry Tomatoes

2 Tbl butter

1 Tbl olive oil

1 clove garlic, minced ( I always double up on garlic-can never have enough)

1 basket cherry tomatoes

2 Tbl fresh basil, minced

or

2 Tbl fresh parsley, minced

Melt butter and oil in large skillet. Add minced garlic. Over medium heat, add cherry tomatoes. Heat through-if skins begin to split, they are definitely done. Sprinkle on basil or parsley-stir and pour into serving dish.

Another favorite that my mom used to make, but a little more time consuming.

Stuffed cherry tomatoes

Basket of cherry tomatoes

Soft garlic and herb cheese

Hollow out cherry tomatoes. Put soft cheese into baggie and snip of corner. Pipe cheese into tomatoes. Platter and serve.

Thanks for the ideas!! The pioneer woman's stuffed mushrooms look great. I love her whole site...maybe I'll look around there a bit more too. I'll have to decide between that and the baked brie. I also like the mini kabobs...any specific recipes? Love that I could eat them. I can look some up in a bit...

Someone else told me about bacon wrapped dates. I could eat those too which would be a bonus...maybe I'll try them this week as a test :)

Any other ideas?

We love basil boats and no testing required! but i must say only 1/2 ever make it to the function we take them to, and I have to slap hands to get that much there!

It is really simple...

Pluck and wash basil leaves off stem...

then smear a good amount of goat cheese on the leaf

put slightly sweetened fresh diced tomatoes on top

and lastly for a little crunch, lightly toasted pine nuts sprinkled on top!

they are so cute, and easy to eat without utensils.

Another fun idea is Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus

it is really easy too...

you slightly cook the asparagus (either steamed or roasted...but be careful, you dont want the asparagus to be too limp!)

then wrap the cooked and cooled asparagus with Prosciutto...and cheese if you are the die hard cheese fan i am!

These are both very easy and don't take too much time and they don't have to be taste tested! Not really cheap...but foodies would love them!

My street (8-10 adults) is having a progressive dinner this coming weekend and I've got issues.

The issues:

1. My neighbors are "foodies". Super nice foodies. I know they will be going all out on their courses. I feel like I'm a fairly good cook, but they are REALLY into food. Which leads to my next issue...

2. I have all sorts of food allergies (dairy, egg, soy, wheat). So I do not typically cook nor eat traditional appetizers. I do NOT need to cater to my needs at all (I would much rather have "normal" foods and not try to make them allergy friendly since it's only for me), but I really cannot be taste testing, you know? So I don't really want to try out some random thing off pinterest when I can't taste test it (my husband can taste stuff but he likes anything). So I'm looking for tried and true recipes if you have any.

3. I'm would like to do wine with it...and I don't drink. I'm glad to get a couple bottles, but seriously have NO idea what to buy. I was thinking a red and a white? But which kind??? And what would be a nice non-alcoholic drink or two to have as well?

Ideas? I'd probably like to have at least 3 appetizers. Plus maybe I'd put out some olives or grapes or nuts? Thoughts on kinds of nuts or olives?

I had thought of a baked brie since that seems popular. Seems like I could do it with a pastry over it or without one? What with it? Maybe crusty bread and apples? Or if I have a couple other cheeses/crackers out do you have ideas of what other kinds of cheese?

HELP!

(oh and the other courses are soup/salad, main course, dessert)

How about prosciutto wrapped asparagus? You could eat those!

For wine, I would simply ask the foodie neighbors what to purchase. Give them your menu--if they are wine drinkers, they will know what to have you buy, or at least be able to give you a few choices. People love to be asked about things they are interested in. They'll be pleased you think of them as the neighborhood experts.

I make skewers and they are always a hit.

Skewer:

One cooked tortellini

Grape tomato

Olive

Fresh mozzarella ball or slice

Basil leaf

Repeat

It's great with garlic stuffed olives, too. You can also add a chunk of salami if you want to.

Then marinate all the skewers in pesto for several hours or overnight.

These are always the first to go on appetizer plates.

I would second the Caprese kebabs. YUM. I don't like them with balsamic, just olive oil.

I make baked brie like the recipe above, except I don't use the honey glaze. Instead I top the brie with either apricot jam or cranberry chutney and chopped roasted pecans. I put a little of the jam on top after it's done baking and sprinkle some pecans on it.

Indy loves the bacon wrapped dates, but he'll eat just about anything with dates. :)

One dip (or spread) we like is roasted eggplant dip. This is soooo good with french bread, pita chips, crackers, raw veggies, etc.

BTW, what exactly constitutes a "progressive" dinner?

A progressive dinner usually refers to having a group of people travelling from home to home having one course in each location. You could have four couples go to one house for appetizers, one house for salad, one for the main course and one for dessert. Our youth group used to do this but we had people in the church host specific things for the youth.

It can also be fun to do it at restaurants - like head to a thai place for lettuce wraps and then a local diner for soup and then a taqueria for tacos.

I like using a pastry bag. If you are making, say, blue cheese dip on endive leaves or smoked salmon dip on slices of cucumber or something more exotic/original, your presentation looks more professional if piped on rather than dropped from a spoon.

BTW, Martha Stewart has an appetizer book with lots of photos.

I like the baked Brie too -- you can just bake it in the wooden box (remove paper wrapping!) -- spread some onion marmalade/jam or apricot preserves & slivered almonds on top.

For the pp who asked what the progressive dinner is...

the four couples on our street are going to start at our house for appetizers/wine, move to another house for soup/salad, another for the main course, and another for dessert.

Since I'm the first house, all the kids are going to come to my house with the parents for appetizers and I'm going to make separate kiddy appetizers that will be their dinner. They'll stay here with a sitter while we do the other courses.

Should be a lot of fun.

THANK YOU for all the ideas. Really. They all sound awesome. I'm going through them all and going to try to decide tonight/tomorrow and shop at the end of the week. I was by a Trader Joes today and got great advice (I hope!) from their wine guy and bought a couple bottles. I also went ahead and picked up Brie since they have such a great price.

Someone else told me about bacon wrapped dates. I could eat those too which would be a bonus...maybe I'll try them this week as a test :)

Any other ideas?

I was going to suggest this. Soak the dates in a bit of brown sugar/water first to soften them up. We usually do 1/2-1/3 of a date with 1/2-1/3 strip bacon.

People always ask me for this recipe and are surprised at how simple it is. My ds is allergic to dairy, so we use coconut oil and YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW!

Katherine's Pecans

•  

Source: Katherine Rowland, my sister Pat's mother-in-law

Ingredients

• 1 lb pecan halves
  • 3-4 T butter
  • salt

Directions | Numbered...

Shake pecans in colander to remove dust.

Spread in single layer on sheet. Bake in preheated 250 oven 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. They will change color to a dark rich brown. Pour melted butter over them. Mix well. Lightly salt evenlty. Stir well. Pour onto towels to drain. Enjoy.