Menu

Zumdahl Chemistry 1996 edition - too old?

What I've been doing with Biology is picking up copies of the Campbell book I hope to use, just to browse through it, then upgrading as I find newer editions. (We won't be using Bio for a couple years.)

Aside from the chemistry content (which I can't speak to), you might want to consider what editions you can get study guides, student solution manuals or teacher's manuals for. It looks like there are a number of resources for the 6th edition (2002) and the 7th edition (2007) on Amazon (looks like you can pick up most items for $2-20).

If it's just called "Chemistry", then that's Zumdahl's AP Chem text. The chem content wouldn't be out of date but it probably won't be well aligned with the current AP Chem syllabus. And as of 2013-2014, AP Chem is being redesigned so it'll definitely be out of alignment then.

If you're planning on using it as a first chem text for your highschooler, just be aware that it is meant for AP Chem and won't be an easy go for someone who hasn't had a previous chem course.