Menu

Unofficial CC Group with Friends

I vaguely remember reading in one of the earlier Classical Conversations manuals that this was an acceptable practice. I want to get together with some currently enrolled CC friends and a couple of others who aren't enrolled and have a mini-CC co-op. We would do other stuff as well. I've contacted the company, but haven't heard back.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Laura

Hmm, either you are "official" in which case you pay money to CC, and thus they support you and help you, OR you are unofficial, in which case you purchase CC materials, but they aren't offering you support, or advice...so if that is the route you are taking, what would you expect to hear back from them about?

I don't know what the current rules are, but it used to be that if you didn't charge and didn't call yourself "CC" that you were fine. There used to be a statement in the front of the Foundations book to that effect. I don't know what they are doing now, but at the time I knew of several local groups who met in homes with just a few families.

We are in our second year of doing this with another family. It works out great for us - we can change our days and times if needed and it's easier with our little ones. I figure as long as they are selling their stuff on their site, they don't mind if you use it on your own.

The current foundation guide states on the copyright page, "If any tuition is paid or fees are earned using this curriculum, you must purchase a license to operate a Foundations program.". I take that to mean that a group of families can get together and use the guide as long as no money exchanges hands. I think they are trying to accommodate people who can't afford CC or do not have a community nearby with openings.

What they are really trying to do is discourage the groups that are calling themselves Classical Conversations, accepting tuition, and letting parents drop their kids off and leave. This is not what Classical Conversations is about.

Christie, do you have any other CC friends who feel the same way? That's what we're doing, but we're adding two new families who wanted to try, but were hesitant.

Paula, thanks. That's what I was looking for. I still haven't heard back from the company. They'd sell at least two more curriculum sets if they'd let us do this.

Laura

They can't keep you from using their printed materials if they are willing to sell them to you in the first place. What they can do is keep you from advertising yourself as CC if you haven't done whatever it is they want you to do. And of course, you could not copy materials and give them to those in your group if they don't buy their materials.

Candid, makes sense, but I'm always afraid of some quirk, such as the curriculum companies who won't let you resell your materials.

Thanks,

Laura

I think the new policy is you can only buy them if you are part of a "licensed" group. (At least that is what the catalog says.)

Emily

Legally, they can't do that with printed materials. The only way to enforce it would be to charge you a large enough deposit to encourage you to return them to you while calling the price you pay a rental fee.

What Emily says might make sense, the question is do they enforce it when they sell? They used to sell at conventions, if they still do can you just walk up and buy? If you buy online do they verify your membership in a group? Will group members have a special code to enter or do they sign in and buy through the group's area? If they just sell to you directly without checking, then it is on them.

However, you do get into some sticky morals of your own if they ask you if you are in a group and they don't verify it. I wouldn't buy if I had to directly lie about it. (And cynically, what they are doing in that case is discriminating against people who won't lie, but still selling to anyone who will lie to them.)

The only material you can't purchase without being part of an official CC group is the Essentials guide and Challenge guides. However, I've seen people sell copies on used curriculum sites.

It is completely legal for you to have a group as long as no one is being paid and you aren't calling yourself CC.

A few friends and I who used to be a part of CC are currently doing this and it has been great. I think it would be more difficult to do this with people who never have done CC, because it takes a while to settle into the CC groove and get the "bigger picture".

Thanks everyone. I finally got a hold of someone and they did verify that it was perfectly legal as long as we didn't hold ourselves out as a CC group.

Aaplank, we will have one or two new folks (two of us used to be tutors) and several currently enrolled families who will be using it as a review day. We're adding lots of non-CC stuff to the co-op--including SOTW.

Laura

Thanks everyone. I finally got a hold of someone and they did verify that it was perfectly legal as long as we didn't hold ourselves out as a CC group.

Aaplank, we will have one or two new folks (two of us used to be tutors) and several currently enrolled families who will be using it as a review day. We're adding lots of non-CC stuff to the co-op--including SOTW.

Laura

Sounds fun. Keep us posted on how the group turns out.