Menu

What is your idea of a good musical?

Don't bash me, please...

Finally, after months on my local library's wait list, only to be told it is lost, I was able to check out Fiddler on the Roof from our neighboring county. I was so excited. I had heard so many wonderful things about the movie, but had never seen it. After the kids were all tucked in I popped the video in the VCR. Bleh. It didn't live up to my expectations at all.

I kept wanting to compare it to The Sound of Music, finding similarities and such. I was extremely disappointed that I'd been anticipating it all these months. I told DH about it. I was kind of annoyed about how often they just burst into song. I know...it's a MUSICAL...that's what they do, but it seemed like they were trying a bit too hard.

DH: My favorite musical is Top Gun.

Me: Top Gun? That's not a musical...that's more of a (IMO) comedy/drama.

DH: But there is singing in Top Gun. A comedy/drama is something like Die Hard.

I found that conversation too funny since I'm almost sure we haven't seen either one of those movies in over a decade.

A good musical is something that when my kids ask me a question, I can answer them by bursting out into song! They love it when I answer by showtunes, LOL!

And having great costumes is great, too! We looove The King and I. Great costumes, and memorable songs and dances, and an especially beautiful scene where Uncle Tom's Cabin is dramatized.

~Lisa

Les Miserable, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor DreamCoat, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King

Musicals just aren't the same on video! ...and be careful about previewing first b/c some seemingly fine musicals contain some stuff many parents wouldn't want in their home;)

I am :lol::lol::lol: over Top Gun!!! Your dh would get along well with mine:lol:

A good musical is something that when my kids ask me a question, I can answer them by bursting out into song! They love it when I answer by showtunes, LOL!

Absolutely! Except mine don't really love it. They tolerate it.

I just love musicals, I always have. And I memorize the ones that I really love. I can measure certain periods in my life by the musical that I was learning at the time.

They just make me happy.

And my children don't want to admit it, but three out of four of them feel the same way. My oldest dd is good at memorizing and she has an excellent ear for mimicry, so she actually sounds like whoever she's imitating.

Sometimes we play "Name That Showtune" and I'll just hum a line from some song and the kids have to guess the name of the show. They're all pretty good at it...even the one who claims not to like musicals. ;)

I'm not much of a "watch anything on stage" kinda person.

I like the music from Phantom, but am happy to just get the soundtrack on cd.

some we like the tv version of:

Wizard of Oz

Music Man

Sound of Music

...and any Disney movies that would count as "musical" lol!

as for breaking into song to answer a question?? oh. yeah. we do that a LOT.

especially after watching this:

now THAT's my kinda musical, lol!

OH! i just remembered: I really liked watching 1776 [on stage -dinner theater] when my uncle took me to see it on my 17th birthday :)

...because I can't put my finger on it.

I *love* Fiddler on the Roof.

Can't watch Sound of Music. (Sorry...it's been a long time, maybe if I tried again it would be different, but...I just don't like it).

Love the soundtrack of Wicked, but haven't seen it. (Libretto is kind of goofy, IMO, but the music/lyrics rock). Like Wizard of Oz. (Only seen it performed by high school kids, but still like it.)

Like South Pacific.

But I love Phantom of the Opera. Why? I. don't. know.

And my husband and best friend don't know, either, lol.

So, in short...I think that different people will have different answers for "What makes a good musical?", and some won't be able to specifically answer at all.

You just like them (or some of them), or you don't.

(Oooh...love My Fair Lady, and Singin' In The Rain. Had to throw those in on the "Love" list.)

Les Mis, West Side Story, The Sound of Music, and Phantom have to top my list.

I just love musicals, though.

A new family favorite is, er, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical episode, "Once More, With Feeling." Anyone here will break out into that, any time, parents and kids alike. Don't walk into our house and say that you have a theory ;-)

I seem to be the only one who ever breaks into "Camelot." :001_huh:

I like watching a musical if I can have the remote control in MY hand. That way when people start to break out in song while running through the mountains, I can hit mute.

Who sings while running through mountains? Who runs through mountains? I don't care how fit you are, you would run out of breath.

I am not crazy about musicals though I confess that I would like to see Mama Mia but only because I grew up on Abba music.

Fiddler on the Roof is depressing!

Okay, I must have missed that. I know the father is bemoaning (?) how the culture that he's know is or has changed but I thought in the end he accepted it because he sees that love was the end result. I suppose if you used the word resigned himself to it, ends it on a sad note.

Guest Virginia Dawn
I like watching a musical if I can have the remote control in MY hand. That way when people start to break out in song while running through the mountains, I can hit mute.

Who sings while running through mountains? Who runs through mountains? I don't care how fit you are, you would run out of breath.

I am not crazy about musicals though I confess that I would like to see Mama Mia but only because I grew up on Abba music.

Oh I don't know, I think I would like to run through the mountains singing at the top of my lungs, if I knew no one was watching. Maybe even in my birthday suit, but I guess that wouldn't be very nun-like would it? ;)

Guest Virginia Dawn

Some of my favorites not mentioned, and not necessarily for children.

My Fair Lady

Easter Parade

Funny Girl

Hello Dolly

Meet Me in St. Louis

In our house we know the musical was a hit if the kids end up transforming the lyrics of their favourite songs into catchy commentaries of their own. With that in mind, the kids have rewritten:

Little Shop of Horrors

Cats

Les Miz

Oliver

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Mamma Mia

and...well most of them...

I think a musical is great if DH doesn't hum along in the theater or fall asleep. So far that means a thumbs up for...oh well on to me...

My Fav: Les Miz

Honorable Mention: Aspects of Love, Sunset Blvd., Man of La Mancha

Didn't Enjoy: Ms. Saigon and the seriously over-hyped helicopter

Right now my daughter is in "Once On This Island" which is FABULOUS! Great music. It's a Hatian folktale/love story. She's playing "Erzuli, the Goddess of Love." Wonderful show.

It is a great show. My daughter was in a performance some 7 or 8 years ago and really enjoyed it. We bought the professional soundtrack then and enjoy listening to it from time to time.

My daughter is a great lover of musicals. Some of her favorites include:

Les Mis

Phantom of the Opera

The Scarlet Pimpernel

Frogs

Kiss of the Spiderwoman

FX

Rent

Mamma Mia

Best wishes to your daughter in her role!

Regards,

Kareni

My kids are both performing arts types. My daughter is getting ready to declare her major in theatre/minor in music this year. (Her college doesn't offer a musical theatre degree.) They both do community and semi-professional theatre whenever they get a chance. And I spent most of my childhood holed up in my room with my parents' soundtrack records memorizing and working out dance routines to my favorite songs.

So, we're pretty much steeped in musicals around here.

That said, I don't love Sound of Music. The movie is one of those things of which I have fond memories from childhood, and the music is great, but the show, itself is just ponderous. My son was in a dinner theatre production of it last summer, and we tried to watch the movie to get him familiar with it before he started rehearsals. Couldn't sit through it.

In general, though, I love everything from Rogers and Hammerstein to Lerner and Lowe to Kander and Ebb to Stephen Schwartz and Stephen Sondheim. Right now, my daughter is in rehearsals for a production of Aladdin (based on the Disney film), so that's what were singing around the house most of the time.

And, I confess, I love Fiddler on the Roof. It was one of my favorite films when I was a kid, and I was thrilled when my daughter ended up doing two productions of it in a single year.