Menu

In search of a good children's anatomy app

MeaganS

There are lots of great apps out there for many concepts, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good children's anatomy app? I'm looking for one geared to around ages 4-8ish and that uses real terms and identifies stuff. Human body would be best, although animals are cool too. Even a puzzle app or something. It doesn't have to be a game, it could be more exploratory. My daughter has learned so much from some geography and word apps that we've used that we have and I was hoping to use the iPad to introduce her to anatomy too.

I don't have access to iTunes or any devices that would use an App, but a quick search led me to possibilities here:

Drill Down Child Anatomy

Anatomy 3d Organs

DK's Human Body App (this is the not-so-hot-review, but I thought it looked ok for educational purposes)

Human Anatomy (older version is free, newer one costs, but has more parts, I think?)

• 7 months later...

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I've found a few that I think are great.  We have three that are good in different ways.

First is the Toca Doctor app.  It is very very basic, probably more for like 2-4 year olds and teaches more broad body concepts than actual anatomy.  That said, my girls both like playing with it (like they do every other Toca app).  You do things like put bandaids on ouchies and get rid of germs and put together a broken bone.

The next I think was mentioned upthread and is good, atlhough my girls don't seem to like it very much.  Maybe it is a little old for them?  I'm not sure, but it seems fairly decent to me.  It is called This is My Body- Anatomy for Kids.  It seems to be sort of an interactive book?  I'm not really sure, but there are game-like aspects to it and it teaches some good concepts, although they label the femur "leg bone" which is really dumb.  Just use the actual word.

But our most favorite is really new and called The Human Body by Tinybop.  It is exactly what I was looking for in an anatomy app.  It is detailed, but not too complicated.  It also illustrates important concepts (like what would happen to our bodies if we took all our bones out or what nerves do).  It doesn't rely on the ability to read (although you can make the labels there if you like), which means my K'er and younger kids both can enjoy it.  It is not really a game, although it is interactive.  Here is an in depth review of it, although they focus on different features than we've used. Anyways, I can't say enough good things about this app. My med student dh was especially impressed with it.  If you can only get one, this would be the one I would suggest.

We have the tinybop The Human Body app. Also picked it up while it was the app of the week. It's a good app, but definitely for younger kids. I figured we'd check it out since it was free. My son still plays with it once in a while, usually to show other people the app. He's 9, and we've already done some biology. He's also really into science. He hasn't learned anything from this app, but has still had a little fun. It would have been great for him when he was 2-4, maybe 5. Or for a less science obsessed kid probably closer to the suggested age.