Menu

Who has passed a kidney stone?

AlmiraGulch

About a year or so ago I went to the doc to see if I could get a referral because I have chronic low back pain. They took x-rays and a few days later called me back and said "we don't know why your back hurts, but thought you'd like to now you have stones in both kidneys. Drink more water."

I didn't think much of it because I've never had issues.

Fast forward to last night, when I woke up with pain in my back and side, just below my rib cage. At first I thought I'd pulled a muscle in my sleep, and then I decided it felt more like I'd been punched in the kidney, and that's when I remembered the kidney stones.

It's just mildly painful right now so I'm pretty sure I'm not passing anything, but could it mean it's moving? And, if so, what next? Honestly, I don't have time for a lot of pain right now. Seriously, Mr. Kidney Stone, can you wait a couple of weeks if you're going to rear your ugly little head? I have a ridiculous schedule at work for at least the next week, and I leave for a cruise in less than two!

Ok, but really....what should I be looking for? And is there anything I can do about it?

When the pain started from mine, it just got progressively worse until the stone passed. It never stopped or came and went. I don't know if it's the same for everyone though.

Mine is definitely coming and going. Can you tell me approximately how long it was between the time you first felt the pain and it was finally done?

I've had several bouts and each was different. The first time I had no idea what was happening but felt like I was in labor (mostly back labor) - I passed two small jagged stones. Once they passed everything was fine. I had some blood in my urine so watch for that. The worst time, though, felt like someone had put a vise on my side and just kept cranking down more and more (imagine a mammogram machine with your kidney in it). I ended up in the ER for that one. They put an IV in my arm and I had no pain at all from that because I was about passed out from the kidney pain. I had blood in my urine all day, but thought it might just pass easily. I went to bed and woke up in severe pain. I pass lots of crystals in the summer because I don't drink enough so I've tried to be better the past several years.

I've had several bouts and each was different. The first time I had no idea what was happening but felt like I was in labor (mostly back labor) - I passed two small jagged stones. Once they passed everything was fine. I had some blood in my urine so watch for that. The worst time, though, felt like someone had put a vise on my side and just kept cranking down more and more (imagine a mammogram machine with your kidney in it). I ended up in the ER for that one. They put an IV in my arm and I had no pain at all from that because I was about passed out from the kidney pain. I had blood in my urine all day, but thought it might just pass easily. I went to bed and woke up in severe pain. I pass lots of crystals in the summer because I don't drink enough so I've tried to be better the past several years.

Wow. That sounds absolutely awful!

I've passed one...pain was so bad I was vomiting. For me the pain was mostly in the front/side of my abdomen. I was in hospital for 4 days on powerful narcotics then went home; took over a week for it to pass.

However, my dad had several through the years and only gets mild pain in his back and then passes them. It's different for everyone based on size and type of stone I think.

I passed several last year.

The first time I had no idea what it was so went to ER. The pain killers helped a lot. It was probably the largest one I passed though. I think, though, that if I knew what was going on I would have just stayed at home.

Over the coming weeks I passed several more. Usually the worst of the pain lasted a couple of hours.I remember driving home one night thinking that one was moving and made it home and just laid down for the duration. It was doable. I did take Ibruprofen to help with the pain.

One time, I think I even passed a small one while I was teaching. It was uncomfortable but wasn't more than that.

When I had a kidney stone the pain came and went but when it came it could get bad fast. It was so bad I could not function and had to go to the ER. The IV morphine didn't even touch the pain. I had just given birth 5 weeks earlier and this pain was worse than that and it was my most painful birth. It was severe pain. I also was vomiting from it. After my second bad severely painful attack they removed the stone surgically. I had a newborn to care for at the time.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you know what you passed? Aren't they too tiny to see?

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you know what you passed? Aren't they too tiny to see?

No, they can be seen. And when I know I have one coming, I pee in a container. It's a little disconcerting to see a couple rocks in the bottom :p When I'm passing a lot of crystals, I can even see those. If you can catch the stone or crystals, they can be examined to determine their composition. There are different types of stones and different types of treatment based on the composition of the stones.

Thanks for all of the responses. I really hadn't given it a thought, but I've had some pain off and on today so there's probably movement.

I just hope if I'm going to pass something it's before I'm on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. So, sometime between next Saturday and the following Thursday would be perfect (in case I can somehow cosmically will my body to do what I need it to do just by typing the request somewhere. Please and thank you).

Thanks for all of the responses. I really hadn't given it a thought, but I've had some pain off and on today so there's probably movement.

I just hope if I'm going to pass something it's before I'm on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. So, sometime between next Saturday and the following Thursday would be perfect (in case I can somehow cosmically will my body to do what I need it to do just by typing the request somewhere. Please and thank you).

Push the fluids! Drink, drink, and drink.

I had one about the middle of my last pregnancy. I thought at first it was a kidney infection and drank tons of cranberry juice. Then after using the bathroom, pain was gone. The whole process took less than 2 days, and I felt I had to mention to dh that it was painful, but didn't come close to giving birth ;).

I think it greatly depends on size.

My dd19 gets kidney stones. Drink lots of water and cranberry juice to get it to break up and pass on its own. Avoid caffeine, tea, and dark sodas because they cause calcium based stones. DD had to have surgery to remove the first one because it wouldn't pass. Most stones will pass within 48 hours if they're going to, but doctors will hold off 2-4 weeks before doing surgery in hopes that the stone will eventually pass. The pain goes away when the stone is not stuck and blocking the flow of urine, but when it's stuck and urine is building up, it hurts like a son of a gun. Dd was shaking and throwing up with her first one. Since then, she'll have some pain when she passes another one, but nothing like that first one.

Then my dh got one on Christmas Eve this year and another this week! The first one was awful. Morphine didn't touch the pain - it just kept getting worse. He was hesitant to go to the ER on Christmas Eve, but when he started throwing up from the pain we went. He passed it the day after Christmas I think. The one he had this week was not as painful and passed the same day.

If you do have a stone, I hope it's small and passes quickly! If you get a fever, go to the dr because you could have a kidney infection. Sometimes the scraping of the stones causes infection.

I had them for the first and only time when I was 5mo pregnant w/ baby #3. Worst. Pain. EVER. I ended up passing them on my own. I did have blood in my urine the whole day leading up to it and it got darker and darker til it looked like just blood. Called the health line when the pain was bearable but there was all that blood, they thought it was a UTI or something. when the pain got so bad I thought I would puke and I was crying, we went to the ER and they found out there that it was stones. I hardly remember anything about that night at the hossy as the pain was SO bad. I pray it passes quickly for you if thats what it is!

Call or visit your doctor to get some pain meds and possibly nausea medicine too. Always keep a few on hand and the script always current on file. And definitely drink, drink, drink and then drink some more! Good luck!

My OB said she thought I had one when I was pregnant last time. I was about 7 months along. I felt off that night, had a lot of low back and abdominal cramping, and then pee'd blood for a few hours. That was it. It scared me to death considering I'd delivered at 7 months the pregnancy prior to that. It wasn't all that painful, however. I'd say kind of like menstrual cramps or early labor? I saw the OB first thing in the morning although I felt fine and she said it was probably a kidney stone. I think there's a chance you'll be lucky and are passing it now and it won't get worse.

About a year or so ago I went to the doc to see if I could get a referral because I have chronic low back pain. They took x-rays and a few days later called me back and said "we don't know why your back hurts, but thought you'd like to now you have stones in both kidneys. Drink more water."

I didn't think much of it because I've never had issues.

Fast forward to last night, when I woke up with pain in my back and side, just below my rib cage. At first I thought I'd pulled a muscle in my sleep, and then I decided it felt more like I'd been punched in the kidney, and that's when I remembered the kidney stones.

It's just mildly painful right now so I'm pretty sure I'm not passing anything, but could it mean it's moving? And, if so, what next? Honestly, I don't have time for a lot of pain right now. Seriously, Mr. Kidney Stone, can you wait a couple of weeks if you're going to rear your ugly little head? I have a ridiculous schedule at work for at least the next week, and I leave for a cruise in less than two!

Ok, but really....what should I be looking for? And is there anything I can do about it?

My dh has had kidney stones. But, what you describe sounds more like an infection. Back pain was the only symptom I experienced when I had a bladder infection. Did they test your urine?

No, they can be seen. And when I know I have one coming, I pee in a container. It's a little disconcerting to see a couple rocks in the bottom :p When I'm passing a lot of crystals, I can even see those. If you can catch the stone or crystals, they can be examined to determine their composition. There are different types of stones and different types of treatment based on the composition of the stones.

Well thanks for that info, I had no idea they were big enough to see!

I have another question, is there always blood in the urine? I'm pretty sure I've been having issues w/ stones on and off for the last year, but I don't have any blood in my urine. (not that I want any! but thought I'd ask)

Well thanks for that info, I had no idea they were big enough to see!

I have another question, is there always blood in the urine? I'm pretty sure I've been having issues w/ stones on and off for the last year, but I don't have any blood in my urine. (not that I want any! but thought I'd ask)

Did you check your urine with a urine dipstick? If not, you might be surprised. Those sticks can detect blood that you cannot see. I had a period of time in which I had lots of stones and crystals. I kept the dipsticks right in the bathroom in order to check for blood when I felt symptoms. The time I collected the stones I was surprised at how jagged and rough they were. I'd guess they were about 1/4 inch in diameter. I know some older fellas who have keep their stones for their "collections" LOL.

I could see the blood in the urine without using the dipsticks the two times that were really horrible. When those stones pass through the ureters - which are about the size of a spaghetti noodle - they tear at the walls and that causes pain and bleeding. If the stones are impacted in the kidney and cannot move, the back up of urine causes pain as well, but not always bleeding.

After my ER visit I collected my urine for a period of time and the urologist analyzed it. I tend to not drink enough and have a predisposition to form stones. I also have an abnormality with one of my kidneys in which there is a ureter that feeds back into the kidney. It isn't extremely uncommon, but the urologist felt it might contribute to my issues.

1/4 inch! :svengo: Wow! And no, I had no idea you could get dipsticks. I'm bad about drinking enough water, too. I also lost my gall bladder to stones, and my db had kidney stones and gall bladder issues. I know they are related, and run in families, so I'm pretty sure I have them. Huh, I might have to look into the dipsticks. Thanks!