Menu

I'm a Christian who was never celebrated Holy Week. Until now. Help?

Veritaserum

I'm in the process of a faith transition from the religion I've practiced my whole life (LDS/Mormon) to something more Christ-centered. I haven't attended church since November. My husband had planned to take the kids without me (he is still a believer), but they've only gone a couple of times since I stopped going. Today I suggested that we have a spiritual lesson at home. I gave a lesson about Palm Sunday. It was awesome. And short (LDS church services last three hours). My kids played with Play Doh and actually listened. :)

Today I used Lesson 33 from Telling God's Story. The next six lessons go through some of the things that hapoened up through the crucifixion and resurrection. I think I will use those, but I am open to suggestions. :)

What do you do to observe Holy Week?

We go to church services on Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday. On Good Friday, some families keep silence in the home between 12-3 to remember Christ's passion, reading from the Bible.

This year Pope Francis is visiting a prison to wash the feet of some prisoners on Holy Thursday as a rememberance of how Christ washed the feel of the disciples. I wonder if watching some coverage of that would be interesting. I would like to see it myself and I know my dc would.

i just love holy week.

palm sunday services with the parade of palms, and throwing our jackets down for the donkey to walk over....

we go to worship as much as we can.

at home, on maundy thursday we do a modified seder supper. i haven't slept outside with the kids on maundy thursday, but if you are in a climate where that would make sense, that would be fun. we wash feet during worship, but could do it at home, too.

we make hot cross buns on good friday. we wear black.

we plant bulbs on easter saturday (symbolizing resurrection).

we eat like crazy people on easter sunday. and hunt eggs. and celebrate resurrection in our lives.

fwiw,

ann

This is my first time back at a liturgical church in over 20 years, and I'm so glad to be celebrating the church calendar! I am happy to be observing Lent, and today our Palm Sunday service was just wonderful. We gathered outside on the church lawn, had a brief ceremony including a gospel reading, then processed in with our palms. And I love, love, love the reading of The Passion.

This week, I wanted to go to Maundy Thursday service but I had previously volunteered to work at a band fund-raiser. So I'll go to the Good Friday Stations of the Cross service, which, even though it's long, was always one of my favorites as a child. I'm thrilled to be going again!

On Saturday my son is getting baptized at the Easter Vigil service (yay!), so I have to drag my poor husband to another long service. :D

Sunday, we'll be back for Easter service - my dd is in the church choir and she has to be at all the services. I don't mind - I love this time of year, and I'm just so happy to be back (from non-denon church) to the liturgy! Can you tell? :lol:

We're in church all week too. We all love the Easter Vigil. Your son is going to love his baptism Elinor! Added to the usual our college and high school students have an Easter event for the children. Between our cluttered house and church renovations we are missing a box of plastic eggs. Ack.

i just love holy week.

palm sunday services with the parade of palms, and throwing our jackets down for the donkey to walk over....

we go to worship as much as we can.

at home, on maundy thursday we do a modified seder supper. i haven't slept outside with the kids on maundy thursday, but if you are in a climate where that would make sense, that would be fun. we wash feet during worship, but could do it at home, too.

we make hot cross buns on good friday. we wear black.

we plant bulbs on easter saturday (symbolizing resurrection).

we eat like crazy people on easter sunday. and hunt eggs. and celebrate resurrection in our lives.

fwiw,

ann

Ooh, tell me more about your modified Seder supper!

Thanks for all the ideas. I feel rather lost since I have NO experience celebrating Christian holy days. Easter and Christmas are barely acknowledged in LDS church services as compared to other Christian churches. I didn't even know what Palm Sunday was until a few weeks ago.

Wow, what a week to jump into.

We're in church all week.

Today my kids served for Palm Sunday and the reading was amazing, we're going to be folding our palms into crosses, Monday Tuesday Wednesday is Spring Cleaning and precooking, Then there's Holy Thursday, Good Friday where we venerate the cross and have a procession for Adoration, is an amazing service and a strict day of fasting and make hot cross buns, then Saturday we have Vigil Practice, the blessing of the baskets, then Vigil at 8. Somewhere on Saturday we'll sneak in egg coloring.

We celebrate Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday (Easter) by going to church. We do attend every Sunday "nearly" through the year as well. Last night we attended our church "Easter" musical. It's not the typical old timey hymns (I do like these), but very deep contemporary ones which I like as well. Even though I'm a Gentile I am trying to get started on celebrating the Passover Seder which is Biblical. While Jesus' birth, life and death is what Christianity is all about, Easter per se is not in the Bible. Passover is one of the big feasts. There is more prep time involved, for me at least, in the Passover Seder (which I have yet to successfully complete) than in Hanukkah.

We had Palm Sunday service today which was beautiful. We processed in waving palm branches and read the entire passion. On Maundy Thursday we have an Agape Supper at church. Good Friday there is a silent service but we won't be going because of the kids. Then on Saturday we have the Easter Egg hunt and the kids plant flower bulbs. On Saturday night we have the Holy Vigil service. On Sunday morning the kids find that their bulbs have become "flowers" and they dig up their alleluiah's (which they bury on Ash Wednesday). Then we have Holy Eucharist.

It might just be less pressure if you could watch something on youtube or something like that. I would love to encourage you to go to a church to see the washing of the feet or solemnity of Good Friday and the faithful venerating, or kissing, the cross, but I completely understand this is so new to you and it's not a time to make your dh uncomfortable. Maybe if you make it into a study of how different denominations observe Holy Week, it will be less uncomfortable to dh and maybe some food for your own journey and decision making.

If you can read the recent homilies of Pope Francis online, I think there is much there to help give us spiritual direction in this world regardless of one's denomination. Tenderness, humility, service, love of our neighbors, the poor (materially and spiritually), the weak, and above all a focus on Christ and his teachings and the hope and joy that they bring.

Unfortunately we have no local church to guide us through Holy Week. Dh would be uncomfortable with that anyway. :-/

I think we can do some of these other ideas, though. :)

It's nice to go to church, and I think we all would say so, but the reason we go is so that we can walk through this last week with Christ. It is amazingly profound as those scriptures are read.

If I were you, I would focus on the readings for the week, and they'll probably be the same in many of the churches.

Here's our readings. Here's some Lenten meditations.

Well we start our Easter/Lent stuff on Ash Wednesday but this week our activities will include.

Egg Decorating

Easter Garden(We have already planted it, but on Friday I will put a cocoon in the tomb and a butterfly on Sunday morning.)

Make Hot Cross Buns

Wash each others feet for Maundy Thursday.

I will take the big kids to a passion play.

Resurrection eggs with the book Benjamin's Box.

We will watch the Gospel of John and the Ten Commandments.

A lamb craft

Today we are going to read about Palm Sunday in the Bible and have the kids reenact it with some palms I bought at the Dollar Tree.

We are also listening to these, so we will finish them.

We will be going to church on Sunday and having an egg hunt at my in-laws.

You can visit my blog to see what we have been doing already for Lent.

We observe Palm Sunday, and then the Triduum.

My favorite service is probably Maundy Thurs. It includes scripture re the Last Supper (Passover), the Agony in the Garden, The Betrayal, and The Arrest. At the end of the service, we sing while the altar guild strips the altar, taking off all the "stuff--" candles, liturgical cloths, flower vases (they are against the wall), even the cushions that we kneel on around the altar rail to receive Eucharist. It is very, very solemn. Lastly, the Elements (the consecrated bread and wine) are processed out, and we put them in a small building next to the church, where we hold a vigil (wait with Christ one hour) until the Good Friday service starts. It is like the sanctuary becomes a tomb--

If you can't go to a church, then perhaps you could do some readings.

Traditionally, on Monday, the readings commemorate the Cleansing of the Temple. Tues, Jesus debated with the pharisees and elders, and he was annointed with oil (costly perfume) at Simon's house. Weds, is the day we read about Judas' betrayal of Jesus. Of course Th-Fri-Sat-Sun are all pretty well-known.

You could probably come up with some creative activities to remember and reflect on these things. For example, maybe cleaning out something a little inappropriate from the video cabinet, or a game that causes contention, or something else that somehow blocks true worship. Tuesday, bless your kids with olive oil or some essential oil, or make a sachet. Weds, have a serious discussion about forgiveness or how awful betrayal is--what it might look like in your kids' experience. Thurs, you could make a special place in your house where you can be quiet and wait with Jesus. This is a picture of what the "jail" in Caiaphas' house looks like--it's a deep hole, where Jesus was probably kept for a while, and it's dark and you stand up the whole time. I am convinced Psalm 88 speaks to this time after the arrest of our Lord.

Whatever you do, may it bring you close to the Lord!!

wow, what a stressful transition to you! But i applaud you for putting so much thought into how to make it a special time for your family! Its funny that you'd post this now.... i think i'm in the midst of being convicted by God about what we should and shouldn't be celebrating. I was born and raised Jewish, my grandmother is Lutheran and also had an influence in my life and as a teenager i came to Christ and started going to church with her. Now, as an adult for the past several years i've been feeling very ambiguous about the major Christian holidays and their roots (as well as Halloween, but that one is a bit easier to eschew, we stopped celebrating that entirely) Anyway, another believer pointed out that we as believers were really never meant to celebrate holidays such as Christmas and Easter which were explicitly based on pagan ideals/dates/etc. and that we WERE commanded to celebrate the Holy days of the Bible.. so we are most likely going to be celebrating them, pretty sure dh is in agreement with me, but its a pretty big adjustment, and most likely not one that you would want to undergo being that you are already having a world turning upside down experience, if my guess is right! anyway, i encourage you to try a seder if you can pull it off... the Biblical festivals are so rich with imagery and show so clearly Christ. VERY cool :)

We celebrate Passover with a meal, communion and Bible reading. On Sunday we'll celebrate His resurrection with church, Bible reading and family time. We don't do anything with eggs or bunnies. Just focus on Jesus. :) The oldest and I may watch The Passion at some point. Youngest is still too young.

We do a reverse Advent wreath - we have a styrofoam wreath with 6 purple candles in it, and put a cross in the middle. Each day, we snuff out 1 candle. Then on Holy Saturday, we change the candles to white and add flowers. Easter Sunday, we eat breakfast by blazing candlelight.

I can't remember where I got the idea, but we've done it for ages, seems like. If you'd like, I can take a picture and post it. I thought I'd done a blog post about it, but can't locate it.

We're reading Amon's Adventure; that's a great story for Lent or even just have a reading marathon and get it done Holy Week!

Also try Ann Voskamp's blog - A Holy Experience. I think she has some printables/ideas there.

Anyway, another believer pointed out that we as believers were really never meant to celebrate holidays such as Christmas and Easter which were explicitly based on pagan ideals/dates/etc.

Hmmm, I very, very, very much disagree with this. I think one only needs to look at church history a little bit, and the way the early church (who received the faith from the Apostles) practiced the faith, to see that they didn't base their feasts commemorating Christ's birthday and resurrection on the pagan ideals. The Church had puh-lenty to commemorate regarding the life of Christ without co-opting pagan celebrations. I'm sorry, I truly hope I don't offend, but (as you can tell), I feel very strongly about this. Spend one night at an Orthodox church's Pascha celebration and see if you see any pagan influence there. Nope. None. It's all about Christ trampling down death by death. The festal season of the early church includes commemorating:

Christ's birth

Christ's baptism

Christ's presentation in the temple

Christ's transfiguration

Christ's entrance into Jerusalem

Christ's death

Christ's resurrection

Christ's asension

Pentecost

and several feasts commemorating His Holy Mother (all based in her relationship with Christ)

It's all about Christ and the Holy Trinity. I used to want to look into celebrating the feasts found in the Old Testament, but they only prefigure Christ. Why not commemorate that Christ has come and all that His life involved? Instead of looking at what we thought we should do by solely reading the Bible, and trying to figure out what we think it means and going with "personal conviction" (which is the basis of Christians thinking we should celebrate the Jewish feasts -- I used to be one, so I can say that truthfully and experientially), we looked at what the early church gave us and what they actually did. Since God said He'd guide the church into all truth, and that the church would have the fullness of the faith, that the church would be the pillar and ground of truth, etc., and that He'd never leave her or forsake her, the church is where we find what the practice of the Christian faith should look like; not the Old Testament.

Really hoping I haven't stuck my foot in my mouth but it's so wrong to say the Church ought not celebrate the events of the life of its very Savior.

OP, I think it's awesome that you want to commemorate the life of Christ through an acknowledgment and participation in the events of Holy Week. May God grant you all you need on your journey!

wow, what a stressful transition to you! But i applaud you for putting so much thought into how to make it a special time for your family! Its funny that you'd post this now.... i think i'm in the midst of being convicted by God about what we should and shouldn't be celebrating. I was born and raised Jewish, my grandmother is Lutheran and also had an influence in my life and as a teenager i came to Christ and started going to church with her. Now, as an adult for the past several years i've been feeling very ambiguous about the major Christian holidays and their roots (as well as Halloween, but that one is a bit easier to eschew, we stopped celebrating that entirely) Anyway, another believer pointed out that we as believers were really never meant to celebrate holidays such as Christmas and Easter which were explicitly based on pagan ideals/dates/etc. and that we WERE commanded to celebrate the Holy days of the Bible.. so we are most likely going to be celebrating them, pretty sure dh is in agreement with me, but its a pretty big adjustment, and most likely not one that you would want to undergo being that you are already having a world turning upside down experience, if my guess is right! anyway, i encourage you to try a seder if you can pull it off... the Biblical festivals are so rich with imagery and show so clearly Christ. VERY cool :)

Like milovany, I'd have to disagree with this, except that I'll take on the idea that Christians are commanded to celebrate the holy days of the Bible. Not only is there nothing in the New Testament that suggests that Christians should observe the Jewish feasts and holy days, I don't believe you'll find any historical references to Christians doing so. You will, however, find historical references from earliest times to indicate that Christians celebrated all the things that milovany listed, and that would include the first generation of Christians, the ones who had personally known Jesus and the ones who were taught by the ones who had personally known Jesus.

I attended a seder presented by a member of Jews for Jesus, and yes, it was very interesting and rich with imagery. I don't need to do it again, though. :-)

You might take a look at these blogs: http://showerofroses...y-thursday.html

http://alice.typepad...lenten_tea.html

There are some really good ideas there. If you search around there are ideas for an Easter tea as well.

A few years ago I incorporated the lenten & Easter tea into our Holy Week/Easter celebrations and it quickly became a treasured tradition. I printed out the accompanying Scripture verses and made place-card type cards out of them. These go on the table near to the accompanying foods. At the meal, we all take turns reading the cards nearest to us and passing the foods. It is definitely a highlight of our week.

Here's a nice summary written by a home school mom on another forum of what she has learned about the historical roots of Christian holidays:

http://www.homesteadingtexas.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22596

I'll go with the historical writings that show that the Church that the millions of martyrs and ascetics, bishops, priests and lay people throughout the centuries were a part of through 20 centuries was one that honored Christ by commemorating the events of his life over some modern 21st century interpretations. But I'm funny that way ;) :p :)

There's a Visitor's Guide to the St. Matthew Passion on NPR that walks through Bach's music and explains the Passion. that might be a good, neutral place to start. I couldn't figure out how to post the link on an iPad sorry. catholic icing has several stations of the cross coloring sheets that might work for you, too.

Here's a nice summary written by a home school mom on another forum of what she has learned about the historical roots of Christian holidays:

http://www.homesteadingtexas.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22596

very good posts. I agree/disagree with the conclusion of Dec 25th as there was a change in calendars. By the old calendar, it is Jan 6th. By the new, it is Dec 25th.

Now Easter week can officially begin!

Cause it is just not the holidays at WtM until somebody points out that they are pagan and God says not to celebrate them.

Never mind the wieght of history ... That is just irrelevant.

OP, I wish you a meaningful celebration of Holy Week.

I'll go with the historical writings that show that the Church that the millions of martyrs and ascetics, bishops, priests and lay people throughout the centuries were a part of through 20 centuries was one that honored Christ by commemorating the events of his life over some modern 21st century interpretations. But I'm funny that way ;) :p :)

I can't figure out what you mean by this. Did you read at my link?

here are our favorite Christ-centered activities to do with the kids - we will be doing several of these this week! You can do these at home, building new traditions, whether you can make it to extra services this week or not. My favorite way to teach my children about the faith is to do things like this...meaningful, fun, traditions centered around the church calendar!!

I can't figure out what you mean by this. Did you read at my link?

Aaaaacccccckkkkk! All I saw on my small phone screen this early morning was Part 1, and not even all of that. Didn't see that there was more. Gulp. Will go read more.

ETA - Forgive me, please. I was wrong in my reply in that I presumed it was another "your holy days are pagan" post from the very little I saw. I should have read more before posting.

Cause it is just not the holidays at WtM until somebody points out that they are pagan and God says not to celebrate them.

Agreed. The OP wanted ideas for celebrating Holy Week, busting in with opinions about it being "pagan" have *regularly* been refuted here. There's a reason you only find that stuff on blogs. The OP didn't ask what people thought about X or Y traditions. She was specifically looking for ways to celebrate.

And to quote from the site guidelines (which you can find in the FAQ section)

Do not assume that everyone on the boards shares a particular religious conviction [/b]

These boards are inclusive. You are welcome to ask theological questions, but don't post as though everyone who frequents the boards shares your ideology. Offending posts may be deleted. Don't use inquiries as an excuse to proselytize for anything. Answer questions that are posted but don't use these questions as an excuse to springboard into criticism. For example: If someone asks, "What are your kids dressing up as for Halloween?" don't launch into an explanation of how evil Halloween is. If someone asks, "Is Halloween evil?" have a ball. (Conversely: if someone posts, "We don't do Halloween; what can we substitute?" don't take this as an opportunity to prove to them that Halloween is really just fine.)

:lol: Happy Holy Monday everyone! :hurray:

You might take a look at these blogs: http://showerofroses...y-thursday.html

http://alice.typepad...lenten_tea.html

There are some really good ideas there. If you search around there are ideas for an Easter tea as well.

A few years ago I incorporated the lenten & Easter tea into our Holy Week/Easter celebrations and it quickly became a treasured tradition. I printed out the accompanying Scripture verses and made place-card type cards out of them. These go on the table near to the accompanying foods. At the meal, we all take turns reading the cards nearest to us and passing the foods. It is definitely a highlight of our week.

We are going to do this tea on Thursday. Very cool, thanks!

Tonight we are going to talk about the fig tree and the cleansing of the temple. :)

I have littles so I have tried to do things that would help them understand. Our church just has services on Easter Sunday so we go then. In our home, we do an Easter tree which centers around what Christ did on Holy Week. I print out small squares with a picture of what happened on the day (today is the fig tree and the cleansing of the temple). My kids color the picture while I read the verses that correspond. Then, we put ribbon through the top and hang it on our tree.

I also like these readings:

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/love-to-the-uttermost-free-ebook-for-holy-week

We also make a playdough mountain that is described in the book "Treasuring God in Our Traditions" by Noel Piper. We use it also to go over the events of Jesus in this week.

I was raised Mormon. (I know they're calling it LDS now but whatever.)

Here's a devotional, there's fasting involved but you can just do the readings if you like: http://rh-org.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Devotion-big-web-version.pdf

Also depending on how little your kids are I've seen some fun things on Pinterest... like some kind of bread you can make that ends up being hollow inside, to illustrate the empty tomb... a "resurrection garden", an Easter story wreath where you add a different part of the story to the wreath for each day of Holy Week.

How are you liking Telling God's Story? I have Year One but we've only done a few lessons so far.

I like it! We've done Lessons 33, 34, and 35 so far. After Easter I want to go back to Lesson 1. It's helping me understand a more mainstream Christian perspective on things. :)