Menu

Story of Science

Alice

I’m sure there have been threads about this in the past but I’m having trouble finding them for some reason so I figured I’d just start a new one.

I’d like to use Story of Science for my son next year for 5th grade but I’m not sure how to use it. He loves science and I seem him as mostly a STEM kind of guy. At the same time he loves history and any kind of story. I think it would be a perfect fit for him. I haven’t entirely figured out what we’ll be doing otherwise for history/science. My other son (who will be in 2nd grade) will be doing ancients for history and biology for history. My second grader will use SOTW 1 and will do a lot of the basic biology topics that my oldest has done before. I need to figure out how to beef up the 5th graders work but without going overboard.

My thought right now is to use other resources for history and then to use Story of Science for the 5th grader as his main science text, but let him do all the biology stuff with the 2nd grader. I also thought I could use Story of Science as a unit study for a few months and then have him do other unit studies on biology topics he hasn’t covered (cell bio, genetics) or that he is particularly interested in.

I’m curious how people have used Story of Science. Is it as a supplement? A main spine? Just for fun?

TIA!