Menu

Need help planning 12th grade science for future physics major

Dd and I are trying to plan her 12th grade year and are getting befuddled about the science options. Her future plans are to major in physics and then go on to graduate studies in astrophysics. She is currently completing high school level physics and precalculus with Derek Owens. She has previously taken biology and chemistry. Here are some of the options we’re considering, along with pros and cons that we see. (Any option we consider has to be outsourced)

I would GREATLY appreciate feedback, especially from you science-minded moms who have been there, done that. J If you have other suggestions besides those listed, please let me know.

THANK YOU!!!

AP Physics B – can be taken through PA homeschoolers, but wouldn’t apply towards her major since it’s algebra based. Might give her firmer grounding before calculus based physics at college.

AP Physics C – don’t know of any place to outsource, have heard that some physics departments want their physics classes to be taken at the college and won’t take the AP credit anyway.

Elementary Physics through community college – could only take their algebra based semester course because they want a semester of calculus before starting college physics. Seems to replicate year of high school physics. Not clear that this would transfer over anything useful to university.

AP Chemistry – I suggested this to dd as many physics majors require a semester or year of chemistry. Seems like might be better chance of credits transferring over. Dd concerned that has been a whole year since she took regular chemistry. Could take this through PA Homeschoolers.

My recommendation would be for AP chem and then do some sort of independent physics study as well--perhaps an astronomy course or TC lectures or reading some books (not textbooks) on physics topics.

(ETA: 2 semesters of chemistry are required for most physics majors. A 5 on the AP chem exam typically gives credit for both. Also, you are correct that the B exam won't really do much for her applying as a physics major. I think an independent study would be using her opportunities as a homeschooler more to her advantage.)

FWIW, ds's first university level physics course actually had calculus as pre-req, not a co-req.

One way to find options would be to look at various universities' astronomy courses. Most of the introductory astronomy courses do not have a lot pre-reqs.

HTH

My recommendation would be AP Chem as well. It may enable her to test out of one of even both required semesters of chemistry.

I would not consider AP Physics B very useful if she has already taken another algebra based physics course.

I would rather suggest a physics elective, some independent study of topics she is interested, or an Intro to Astronomy course if she is interested in that.

I would not recommend the CC course; if it is algebra based, she won't be able to use the credit, and it will be essentially the same she has already done.

I do not understand how AP Physics C can even be an option since she is just finishing pre-calculus and this is the calculus based course.

Generally, I am also not thrilled with physics majors testing out of introductory physics at the university: often this is not actually equivalent to the course taught for majors at the university, and often the first course of a sequence sets the tone for the way the subject is taught at a particular institution.

But if she has not had calculus, that won't work anyway.

So, my recommendation is for chemistry - or for some self designed special topics course, if she already had a regular chemistry. Or astronomy.

Is your goal to improve the chances of acceptance to the college of her choice, or to improve her experience once there? For the former, I might suggest AP Chem + some intensive physics-related science fair project. For the latter, I might double-down on math.

Is your goal to improve the chances of acceptance to the college of her choice, or to improve her experience once there? For the former, I might suggest AP Chem + some intensive physics-related science fair project. For the latter, I might double-down on math.

Probably both. She would like to do an AP science to strengthen her high school records, but she would like it to count for something, once she's there. She'll be taking Calculus next year. If she's takes AP Chem, I'm thinking she should stick with Calculus AB because of pacing/workload. Would that be strong enough of a math preparation?

Third the recommendation for AP Chem + independent reading in Astronomy/Physics.

Thanks for your input. She has enjoyed extra readings/on-line lectures in Astronomy/Astrophysics when she gets the time. We are part of a public school homeschool program, and there is no option for a formal astronomy course to go on her transcript because the district doesn't offer it. It seems like AP Chem might be best choice. She would love to do a high level science fair project but feels she needs to find a science mentor.

I'm thinking she should stick with Calculus AB because of pacing/workload. Would that be strong enough of a math preparation?

Yes. The credit for the AP AB test may mean that she can take the first semester of calculus based physics right away her first semester, because it typically has calc 1 as a prerequisite. I would, however, strongly suggest that she retakes the calculus sequence from the beginning at the university.

(ETA: 2 semesters of chemistry are required for most physics majors. A 5 on the AP chem exam typically gives credit for both.

HTH

Karen

Isn't this academic year (2012-2013) the last year for the current AP Chem exam? Does anyone know how colleges will look at the revised exam? I wonder if it will still be worth 2 semesters of Chem credit.

If you're hoping to have your dd get college credits for Chem, you might consider a course at a local college in lieu of the AP course.

Just a few thoughts...

Brenda

Yes. The credit for the AP AB test may mean that she can take the first semester of calculus based physics right away her first semester, because it typically has calc 1 as a prerequisite. I would, however, strongly suggest that she retakes the calculus sequence from the beginning at the university.

So, Regentrude -- a related question. If you had a student who wanted to take Calc-based physics and had a prior Calc course (but not official college credit), would you let him/her into the class? Assume the student took Calc 1 in high school and got an A, but for whatever reason didn't take the AP exam, and thus planned to take the univ Calc 1 concurrently with the physics class.

Brenda

So, Regentrude -- a related question. If you had a student who wanted to take Calc-based physics and had a prior Calc course (but not official college credit), would you let him/her into the class? Assume the student took Calc 1 in high school and got an A, but for whatever reason didn't take the AP exam, and thus planned to take the univ Calc 1 concurrently with the physics class.

This is a question where the answer depends entirely on the individual instructor and course.

For my course, the answer is yes. I personally will let a student take my calculus based physics class even if he does not meet the formal prerequisite of a college credit in calc 1, but had enough calculus in high school that I believe he will be successful in my class. If he had just a very basic intro to calc, then I will not let him enroll, but if he had taken AP calc just without the exam, I will.

Another instructor teaching a similar course in calculus based physics will insist that the prerequisite is met and would not let the student enroll. This decision may not just be influenced by the student's preparation, but also by the existence of a wait list: if there is a wait list for the course, students who fulfill the prerequisite get the seats.

So, do not assume anything about the way this is handled at the school your student will attend - policies vary.