Menu

For those of you working through Sequential Spelling...

twinmami01

Do you keep moving to the next lesson if they missed too many? I know that each day reviews, but I'm wondering if my kids are retaining anything. I love that they do it on the DVD and they do self- correct. Whenever we do the evals every 40 lessons, they hardly remember the word patterns. We are working on level 2 now. Should I keep going or stop and restart level 1?

I'm not using squential spelling any more but when I was using it, I would make them write any words they missed three times. If they missed more than two or three I would repeat the lesson. If they only missed two or three I would tack them onto the next list. I'm a meanie and if they missed them again they had to write them five times. If they really bombed a test, we just backed up and redid those lessons.

I would go back and give the tests from level 1. Until I got 5-6 word patterns they didn't know. Spelling City.com did have a way to set up sequential spelling lists. I also do a lot like pp. Write missed word 3 times. Repeat missed words the next day. Missed words at the end of a four day set get put on a 5x7 sticky that moves with us through the book to be added one or two a day and definitely get asked on the test day even if not on the tested patterns. If they miss 3-4 on a test, we redo that set of lessons. This has happened once or twice.

I've got one in book 5, one in book 4 and one in book 1. I've noticed a big jump in spelling for the one in book 1 when we started writing paragraphs of 6-8 sentences from outlines each week. I think this one learns by doing.

I've been using SS since my oldest was 1st grade. I love this spelling program and hope to go through all levels. I don't use the online cd-roms. I feel that they wouldn't be as effective at teaching as the book and student workbook. For instance they may self-correct online, but they may not understand why they missed it to begin with without the instant teacher interaction.

IMHO when using SS you have to sit beside them and give them the words and watch them write it. As soon as they start to misspell you gently stop them and you correct right then... either reminding them of a previously learned rule such as doubling a consonant or dropping an e to add ing etc. Or teaching them what hasn't been taught yet. I teach as we use them, phonics, vocabulary, certain things like why ph makes a f sound (some greek etymology). There's also handwriting practice and extra word games and vocabulary and writing activities in the student book. I think you miss all of that putting them in front of a screen and relying on self-correction.

I don't really understand why SS made those cd-roms because IMHO it subtracts a ton of what is positive about the program. I have not had any issue with my child retaining words. In 1st grade he missed more words. And whatever words he missed on the test I gave him those lists again.

My advice? If you really want to get the most from SS use the books.

ETA: and you have your three colored pens and you write that misspelled word (as well as new patterns) in those three colors. That's is the main method in SS. Without that visual and kinesthetic feedback SS just won't work. You can't just give the list of words, or expect them to memorize the words. Those lists need to be actively taught.

Thanks ladies. I bought the cd's thinking it will be a big help, but I believe in our case, it has been a hindrance in the sense that I left them to their own working independently. Huge mistake. We re- did the placement test. I am so upset because we are going to start back at square one.

Yeah, I don't think spelling is a good subject for working independently. With the SS books it really only takes about 5 minutes worth of time each morning to do. And occasionally you can double up on the lists if they are doing really well.

What ages are your kids? I started SS with my oldest in 1st grade but I broke the book into two years until his reading skills caught up. I may not start SS with my rising 1st grader because he is not reading at the same level my oldest was at that age. Usually SS is started about 2nd grade.

My ds is working through book 3 at a doubled pace right now. As his reading advanced, his spelling advanced. But in 1st and 2nd there was still a lot of teaching by me in spelling to cover certain phonics concepts and spelling rules/conventions. I remember in the 1st book it took him forever to remember to double a consonant. I just kept taking it one day at a time.

Do you have the revised student books? The extra word games and writing activities really help.

I've been using SS since my oldest was 1st grade. I love this spelling program and hope to go through all levels. I don't use the online cd-roms. I feel that they wouldn't be as effective at teaching as the book and student workbook. For instance they may self-correct online, but they may not understand why they missed it to begin with without the instant teacher interaction.

IMHO when using SS you have to sit beside them and give them the words and watch them write it. As soon as they start to misspell you gently stop them and you correct right then... either reminding them of a previously learned rule such as doubling a consonant or dropping an e to add ing etc. Or teaching them what hasn't been taught yet. I teach as we use them, phonics, vocabulary, certain things like why ph makes a f sound (some greek etymology). There's also handwriting practice and extra word games and vocabulary and writing activities in the student book. I think you miss all of that putting them in front of a screen and relying on self-correction.

I don't really understand why SS made those cd-roms because IMHO it subtracts a ton of what is positive about the program. I have not had any issue with my child retaining words. In 1st grade he missed more words. And whatever words he missed on the test I gave him those lists again.

My advice? If you really want to get the most from SS use the books.

ETA: and you have your three colored pens and you write that misspelled word (as well as new patterns) in those three colors. That's is the main method in SS. Without that visual and kinesthetic feedback SS just won't work. You can't just give the list of words, or expect them to memorize the words. Those lists need to be actively taught.

Re: DVD-ROM

We are using it and love it. (Well, I do. DS is indifferent, as he struggles so much with spelling.) DS needs to see the words broken down and the program does a great job using different colors to highlight different parts of the word. He does like the sentences and formating of the program; I like that it gives my voice a rest.

But! I do not have my child use the program independently!

I sit next to him and hit the pause button anytime he misses a word so we can go over it.

Personally, I would not think to let a child progress if they are not retaining the material.

I do think the DVD-ROMs fill a niche market - especially for children with special needs that need a bit more visual aid. (Like my son.)

We are using it and love it. (Well, I do. DS is indifferent, as he struggles so much with spelling.) DS needs to see the words broken down and the program does a great job using different colors to highlight different parts of the word. He does like the sentences and formating of the program; I like that it gives my voice a rest.

I sit next to him and hit the pause button anytime he misses a word so we can go over it.

Personally, I would not think to let a child progress if they are not retaining the material.

I do think the DVD-ROMs fill a niche market - especially for children with special needs that need a bit more visual aid. (Like my son.)

Exactly. And that's good. You have to sit with them and actively teach when they make a mistake. I wouldn't let a child do it alone and self-correct.

I use pens or colored pencils to break the words into colors. I don't mind doing that step, but I can see that the computer program would save the extra step.

I personally prefer my child to use pen and paper to work on spelling. I try to limit computer instruction. To each her own. But yes, for the OP you would have to use/teach along with the computer dvd rather than leave a child to do it independently.

Yeah, I don't think spelling is a good subject for working independently. With the SS books it really only takes about 5 minutes worth of time each morning to do. And occasionally you can double up on the lists if they are doing really well.

What ages are your kids? I started SS with my oldest in 1st grade but I broke the book into two years until his reading skills caught up. I may not start SS with my rising 1st grader because he is not reading at the same level my oldest was at that age. Usually SS is started about 2nd grade.

My ds is working through book 3 at a doubled pace right now. As his reading advanced, his spelling advanced. But in 1st and 2nd there was still a lot of teaching by me in spelling to cover certain phonics concepts and spelling rules/conventions. I remember in the 1st book it took him forever to remember to double a consonant. I just kept taking it one day at a time.

Do you have the revised student books? The extra word games and writing activities really help.

My boys are 12 and have had so many learning challenges. We do have the revised workbooks but I was in such a rush to get them through the levels that we skipped them initially. We are going to start back at book 1. We will probably continue the DVDs, but with me sitting along with them AND using the extra activities in the workbooks.

Thanks everybody for all the great input!

Exactly. And that's good. You have to sit with them and actively teach when they make a mistake. I wouldn't let a child do it alone and self-correct.

I use pens or colored pencils to break the words into colors. I don't mind doing that step, but I can see that the computer program would save the extra step.

I personally prefer my child to use pen and paper to work on spelling. I try to limit computer instruction. To each her own. But yes, for the OP you would have to use/teach along with the computer dvd rather than leave a child to do it independently.

In prior years, I tried to limit computer instruction/time, but... DS was diagnosed last year with a mild brain injury (result of being premature) and a related neuromuscular disorder. We are now on a new path, in a different season, yada yada. Lots of physcial and occupational therapy to try to gain some muscle tone and regain muscle control. I was searching for ways to ease my load a bit, without totally punting it off on DS. The DVD-ROMs filled that need perfectly, which is why I love them. I know I could color code the words myself, but for $20-some ($30?) the work was done for me. I know I could read the words myself, but my voice was giving out on me so this is a welcome break.

My boys are 12 and have had so many learning challenges. We do have the revised workbooks but I was in such a rush to get them through the levels that we skipped them initially. We are going to start back at book 1. We will probably continue the DVDs, but with me sitting along with them AND using the extra activities in the workbooks.

:grouphug:

I understand all too well. It is hard when dealing with learning differences. I struggle daily with where my son is at with writing/spelling. I wish there was some magic method/curriculum/wand that made it all better.

I see. My oldest is on the spectrum (PDD-NOS). I understand learning challenges as well. Yeah I definitely would not have skipped. Don't rush SeqSpell. They're leveled, not graded, so there's no real need to have them in any particular level. I'm sometimes just tempted to skip level 3 altogether because he is doing so well and I skim ahead and think he could do this let's go up a level. But it's been such a good program for us that I tell myself to trust the process. I don't take breaks either. We just get the next one regardless of where we are in a calendar year.

You could just double up on lessons. My ds does two lists most weeks. We do any vocab and writing work, but I let him choose which word games he wants to do, if any.

I've been thinking about adding some letter tiles like they use in AAS. I think my youngest ds would benefit from that sort of extra step when he's ready to start SS.

I'm seriously considering trying SS with my daughter starting in September. I used SS years ago with my other kids....it worked well for my oldest, but not so much for ds. I kind of disregarded SS for my youngest because of that....but who says it won't work for her? Anyway, this (the above quote) is how I was thinking of using the program too....watching with her, pausing it, talking about patterns when needed, etc. I like that the dvd-rom shows the words in the different colors. For some reason, writing the words in the different colors would get me confused, since it doesn't show you at all how to do it in the book :lol: (the words should be colored in the teachers book!).